Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sail Rail question

• 07-10-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

If I get a train after 11pm from Manchester to Chester, there is no connecting train from Chester to HH till the following morning at something like 10am. So it it permissible for me to leave the station in Chester and stay in a nearby hotel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

n97 mini wrote: »
    If I get a train after 11pm from Manchester to Chester, there is no connecting train from Chester to HH till the following morning at something like 10am. So it it permissible for me to leave the station in Chester and stay in a nearby hotel?

No, its like an Airport layover, leave and you invalidate your ticket .

Of course you can leave, its a train station with virtually no security.I was once sold a ticket from Lime Street to Holyhead and given the wrong times and itinerary by the booking office.Problem only discovered when getting on the Merseyrail, when I got to Chester there was no connection so they had to pay for a taxi all the way to Holyhead as it was there mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

No, its like an Airport layover, leave and you invalidate your ticket .

Of course you can leave, its a train station with virtually no security.I was once sold a ticket from Lime Street to Holyhead and given the wrong times and itinerary by the booking office.Problem only discovered when getting on the Merseyrail, when I got to Chester there was no connection so they had to pay for a taxi all the way to Holyhead as it was there mistake.

Firstly, I have left an airport to have a look in the city when I've had a six hour connection in Doha.

Secondly, as I understand it, with a Sail Rail ticket you can break the journey. The only question is whether you'll have a problem with your ticket having the day before's date on it once you resume your journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yeah the date thing is the only issue.

BUT, I have done it tons of times, and have left stations and stayed overnight a few times. Although I generally bring a sleeping bag and rough it on a bench. Not like fancy pants OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Firstly, I have left an airport to have a look in the city when I've had a six hour connection in Doha.

Secondly, as I understand it, with a Sail Rail ticket you can break the journey. The only question is whether you'll have a problem with your ticket having the day before's date on it once you resume your journey.

You can leave an airport but your advised not to show your boarding pass when passing through passport control, this was the advice I got in Prague when I had a 10 hour stop over.

They normally don't even bother checking the Sail Rail tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

`To the best of my knowledge, sail rail tickets are valid for break of journey in both directions. Reputable Rog is correct about most UK rail staff not checking sailrail tickets,on one occasion a few years ago, I had a DL - HH - Dover ticket, on my return, I travelled via Faversham, and wanted to use the Southeastern high speed service to Saint Pancras,which had a premium fare. I checked first with the ticket checker, who told me you can use that ticket on any train, the tone of his voice indicated I could use it anywhere, staff have not the time to look up the route book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I was told by a guy working in Stena's ticket office in Rosslare, that I could break the trip, and that I had 3 days to complete the journey.

With regards to Dover to St Pancreas, it's not that they don't have time to look up routes, but that the ticket covers second class on all trains that go in the general direction. Dover to London, is either the HighSpeed to St Pancreas, or normal line, to Charring Cross, or Victoria.

I've left stations several times, and continued a few hours later. I've taken a 12hr break, most rail sail tickets start on day 1, and the user gets to destination on day 2. You won't be changing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've done it a couple of times too, simply because in the case of some destinations from/to Holyhead, it's physically impossible to complete the journey on the same day. So you have to break your journey, unless you plan on kipping down on a bench in the station overnight that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,535 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Strictly speaking a Sailrail ticket is only valid for travel on the date on the ticket.

However where it is not possible to complete travel on the day in question, then a break of journey is permitted.

To answer the OP, I assume you are talking about a Saturday night/Sunday morning, with a view to travelling on the lunchtime sailing?

In that case there is a connection from Manchester Piccadilly at 09:56 into the Virgin Trains service to Holyhead at 11:07, and as such you can't use the SailRail ticket the night before.

Advertisement