Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Revenue Protection blitz on DART?

Options
  • 08-10-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭

Ive seen 5 different people pulled off the trains since last Sunday for no valid ticket on DART, Ive had my card checked onboard 4 times this week aswell including on the Sunday, it was more than a year since anyone checked it before that.

Quick non-scientific scan of the boards shows a corresponding uptick of "My Card didnt Scan" or the "Validator was Broken and I got fined" posts aswell :D

Anyone know if its permanent or just a one week thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are regular RPU blitzes - it may be that you just missed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,120 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

About time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come.

However I haven't seen an inspector in the last 12 months of taking at least two DARTS every weekday. I see a large number of commuters not paying most days in the knowledge that there will be at least one gate open and not requiring a ticket at both ends of the journey and if by some chance there is, they just tailgate.

I only see inspectors at the gates at the big stations, where I would say there isn't that much evasion because people are used to coming across staff and gates requiring tickets. The evasion is much higher at stations where passengers know they won't get stopped and the gates will be open.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I believe they have increased the number of staff in the Revenue Protection Units significantly, so hopefully it will be an ongoing thing.

I saw them at the barriers at Clontarf Station a few mornings ago catching people getting off in the morning peak, so they aren't just at the big stations any more. Obviously moving around and targeting different stations now.

I'm delighted about this development, finally the thieving * scum finally being caught, long may it continue.

* Yes, it really is theft, no different from stealing from a shop. Many seem to think it is some sort of victimless crime, but it isn't, all the rest of us honest fare payers and tax payers end up paying more with increased fares and subsidies due to fare thieves not paying their fair share. They might as well be stealing the wallet out of my pocket.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

A lot of mornings, at least when I've been there, Clontarf isn't staffed and there apparently is a pattern to when staff are not at Clontarf that the evaders well know about.

I would be surprised if there were any inspectors around at early morning peak (prior to 7.30am)

• Advertisement
Advertisement