Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cineworld Hand Dryers

• 20-02-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

I don't know how I haven't started this thread before, it's quite possible it's been discussed on the forum in the past, but I really felt the need to vent (badum-tish) about the hand driers in Cineworld's toilets after a very frustrating trip to see "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" on Saturday night.

The movie was shown in Screen 4, which is perched upon a set of gents toilets on the left and a set of ladies toilets on the right. Throughout the duration of the movie, at quite regular intervals, we were treated to the noise of hand dryers in use in the toilets in stereo.

In other screens in Cineworld you can be lucky enough to only have one toilet underneath you but it's certainly not localised to screen 4.

Surely to god someone on the staff of Cineworld has noticed this issue and suggested the idea of paper towels in the toilet to replace the hand dryers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

never noticed it before but I guess I will now

My only problem is screen 9 (i think) which lets out a smell of gas every once in a while

I asked the manager and he said it was the air-con!?! weird

toilets need a good sorting in cineworld though. They can be quite rank at times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Draupnir wrote: »
    I don't know how I haven't started this thread before, it's quite possible it's been discussed on the forum in the past, but I really felt the need to vent (badum-tish) about the hand driers in Cineworld's toilets after a very frustrating trip to see "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" on Saturday night.

The movie was shown in Screen 4, which is perched upon a set of gents toilets on the left and a set of ladies toilets on the right. Throughout the duration of the movie, at quite regular intervals, we were treated to the noise of hand dryers in use in the toilets in stereo.

In other screens in Cineworld you can be lucky enough to only have one toilet underneath you but it's certainly not localised to screen 4.

Surely to god someone on the staff of Cineworld has noticed this issue and suggested the idea of paper towels in the toilet to replace the hand dryers?

They need to contemporise, it should be in at least 5:1 surround if not the new, much vaunted 7:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I might start bringing a hair dryer for 3D effect. That smell of gas has bothered me on a few occassions too, gas driven air conditioning sounds like a good idea alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

My only problem is screen 9 (i think) which lets out a smell of gas every once in a while

I've noticed that in the majority of the screens in there TBH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

never noticed it before but I guess I will now

I asked the manager and he said it was the air-con!?! weird

toilets need a good sorting in cineworld though. They can be quite rank at times

I'm a regular in Cineworld and I try not to use the toilets at all. They're horrific, something to do with the fact that people feel more comfortable p!ssing on the floor rather than the bowl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

So you're saying that the hand-dryers were extremely loud and incredibly close?

:pac:

I don't think I've been in that screen in Cineworld myself, but the Omniplex cinema back in Galway is terrible for noises from the film playing on screen beside you disrupting the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I know what you're referring to but never coped it was the hand dryers

annoying as hell tho

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

To add insult to injury, the hand-dryers are the old, rubbish kind!

There's no way I'm eating my popcorn without drying my hands first, and an asthmatic baby could puff out more air than those machines.
    Cue an irritated looking queue forming behind me, trying to get back to their film and me with a half angry :mad: half embarassed face :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I'm a regular at cineworld and have noticed this but not enough to be pissed about it. But like the poster before me, I do my utmost to avoid the toilets at all cost in cineworld. ... or any cinema for that matter.

The smell of gas, that I have never noticed, is slightly worrying! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

It's certainly a problem in Cineworld, alright. When I first went to Cineworld, I thought there there must have some late-night construction project nearby or that the staff were using really loud vacuum cleaners to clean the cinema screens on either side. It took me a couple of trips there to realise that it was the driers in the toilets (not so conveniently located directly beneath the seats of many of their screens) that was the source of the disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The gas smell in Screen 9 is bizarre, I asked one of the fellas working there about it and he said it was ghosts :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

phasers wrote: »
    The gas smell in Screen 9 is bizarre, I asked one of the fellas working there about it and he said it was ghosts :pac:

What a hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

To add insult to injury, the hand-dryers are the old, rubbish kind!

There's no way I'm eating my popcorn without drying my hands first, and an asthmatic baby could puff out more air than those machines.
    Cue an irritated looking queue forming behind me, trying to get back to their film and me with a half angry :mad: half embarassed face :o

I think I'd rather eat the popcorn with wet hands than hands which had been under one of those dryers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Popcorn is easily the noisiest thing in any multiplex. To hell with hand-dryers, I want popcorn banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

so THATS what that noise is! I've always wondered and it happens a lot when I'm there. I never knew what it was but thought it sounded like some sort of industrial vaccum cleaner thing. I wonder have people complained about this before? good idea to replace them with paper towels though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I went to Cineworld for the first time in 10 years last week and I certainly won't be back soon!

I was in screen 9 and if all the others are that awful I don't know how they're so popular.

I didn't notice any hand-dryer like noises but I could hear people outside the screen talking (def not people in screen 9).

Also, the stairs in screen 9 seem like temporary steps or something because they are very springy and make a very loud hollow sound when anyone walks up and down during a film.

Not to mention the unbelievably terrible drinks holders sticking out of the back of the seat on front at ground level - so awkward.

It also seems to attract an incredible amount of talkers, gigglers, texters, paper rustlers and people who put their feet on the back of seats. And that's really saying something considering I'm used to the Liffey Valley regulars.

So yeah, in short I empathise OP and I hate Cineworld. :(

Not to mention the unbelievably terrible drinks holders sticking out of the back of the seat on front at ground level - so awkward...

They are drink holders? They are at a perfect level for footrests!

Sadly S9 is one of the better screens in cineworld. Try S1 or 2 and you'll be looking for money back.

It's not the worst cinema I've been to and it does attract a lot of gob ****es, being so central and all.

But I do agree, the steps / stairs in most of the screens in Cineworld are hallow and it sounds like a band of Orcs are attacking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I don't know how anyone can avoid the toilets at a cinema. I usually end up making one or two visits before the film starts and then have to make a bee line as soon as the credits start rolling. Anyhoo, the toilets at Cineworld are nothing compared to the jacks at the old Stella cinema. The one time I went to that cinema, it smelled like a rat died in the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

JJ wrote: »
    Anyhoo, the toilets at Cineworld are nothing compared to the jacks at the old Stella cinema. The one time I went to that cinema, it smelled like a rat died in the toilet.

yeah, i don't think the toilets are all that bad to be honest, they are fairly ok compared to others ive been to. The toilets in bus áras definitely rank as the worst toilets i've ever been in in this country, they make cineworlds look like a 5 star hotel.

Anyhoo, the toilets at Cineworld are nothing compared to the jacks at the old Stella cinema. The one time I went to that cinema, it smelled like a rat died in the toilet.

Ah, the Stella!

• Advertisement

I don't know how anyone can avoid the toilets at a cinema. I usually end up making one or two visits before the film starts and then have to make a bee line as soon as the credits start rolling. Anyhoo, the toilets at Cineworld are nothing compared to the jacks at the old Stella cinema. The one time I went to that cinema, it smelled like a rat died in the toilet.

What?! :eek: What are you drinking? And how much of it? I can understand having this frequency of trips if alcohol is involved, otherwise maybe you should get your kidneys checked!

Was in the Lighthouse tonight and apart from a lack of signage it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. However... the toilets were a joke! small corridor, no TP, little or no runnign water and a roll of hand towels left loose on a hand dryer that wasnt working... WTF! Didn't they recently do that place up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Back in my day we didn't even have hand dryers, heck, we didn't have cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Draupnir wrote: »
    Throughout the duration of the movie, at quite regular intervals, we were treated to the noise of hand dryers in use in the toilets in stereo.

Could be worse

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

I absolutely hate Cineworld and will never go there again. It seems to attract a huge amount of what I can only describe as feral people. People talking, messing, kids/teenagers with no idea of how to behave, throwing popcorn at each other, shouting at each other, running in and out, using phones to have conversations, texting, using Facebook. :rolleyes: Never again!! :eek:

Went to see Mission Impossible there the week it opened and it was like a war zone. Shockingly bad behaviour. :eek:

Also agree about the toilets, they are so disgusting that they are a health hazard.

Will never go to Cineworld again! :eek:

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    I absolutely hate Cineworld and will never go there again. It seems to attract a huge amount of what I can only describe as feral people. People talking, messing, kids/teenagers with no idea of how to behave, throwing popcorn at each other, shouting at each other, running in and out, using phones to have conversations, texting, using Facebook. :rolleyes: Never again!! :eek:

You must've been unlucky - I've never seen it like that. There's a cinema up the road from me that's like that all the time. There's simply no point in adults going there - it's basically a social hub for annoying teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

That was one particularly horrible time there. It's not like that all the time but overall I just don't like the place at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

terrible gas smell tonight, they refunded us all watching the muppets in screen 16 at 9.30, very annoying, they blamed the air con, terrible sulpur smell that would make anyone feel ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

That's pretty concerning, given that I think any regular attendee would have experienced that smell and obviously it's associated fumes. What the hell is the air con kicking out that we are breathing?

I've had an unlimited card for many years now, but the experience is becoming so bad that I'd nearly consider giving it up.

That's without even discussing the performance of some of their staff.

Seriously.. what smell? I've had an unlimited card for years too and I've been to all the screens but I cant smell anything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Skinfull wrote: »
    Seriously.. what smell? I've had an unlimited card for years too and I've been to all the screens but I cant smell anything!

There are many scenarios:

a) you've never been in screen 9
    b) you have lost your sense of smell
    c) all of the above

:D

Advertisement