Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Dynasty League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Didn't every player just go to FA last year? Wasn't the best situation imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Guffy

I don't think people should be allowed be make pick ups before draft starts.

Also would there be any interest in shortening the game weeks by 1 so final isn't played in week 17 or making the final a one off affair in week 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Were there any problems last year? If not let's do the same.

Another fun season almost over, thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Masked Man wrote: »

Yeah thats what happened, i thought the waiver schedule would keep as it is during the season but it just turned FA ad i couldnt change it (in fact i dont know if i can change it again so all this may be a moot point)

Personal preference would be to switch off waivers altogther (if i can do it)

gufc21 wrote: »
    Also would there be any interest in shortening the game weeks by 1 so final isn't played in week 17 or making the final a one off affair in week 16?

Only problem is semi final is over 2 legs and i think final and semi final should be run the same way. We could run it like the PPR league and have regular season up to week 14 and then playoffs be over weeks 15 & 16

• Advertisement

I reckon the regular season should be cut a week still keep the two legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Any change that means that things are over before gameweek 17 is a good change. I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Congrats Spongey, close game.

JJ Watt is a monster

See some free agent pickups being made at the moment.

Are these allowed or will commish reverse them before the draft?

Just want to check so we're all on the same page. Cheers

Was there an answer to this. Just realised i haven't logged in since season ended :o

• Advertisement

They've never been allowed in the past and we didn't agree to change so I can't see them standing.

The initial bylaws of the league had waivers open from the end of the season to the deactivation of the league by ESPN. Unless there was a vote to change this but i dont remember there was. If thats the case there is nothing i can do about the additions

In other news i have reactivated the league and closed waivers til the end of the rookie draft. I suppose we can get an idea if everyone is coming back and if anyone wants rule changes you can propose them here

Rookie Draft Order
    1.01 Team BelieveinEli (2-11)
    1.02 Bedrock Boulders (4-9)
    1.03 Team DublinDarren (5-8, PF = 1218)
    1.04 Baa Baas (5-8, PF = 1483)
    1.05 Foxboro Legends (5-8, PF = 1614)
    1.06 Team The Knife Balls (6-7)
    1.07 Pillow Fighters (7-6)
    1.08 Aille Cows (8-5)
    1.09 The U (Losing Semi Finalist 8-5)
    1.10 Dublin Jets (Losing Semi Finalist 9-4)
    1.11 New Ireland Patriots (Losing Finalist)
    1.12 Bear Down (Winner)

This is the same order for all 5 rounds and does not take into consideration any trades that took place last season (if any). Will look back at those soon

My memory of this is particularly clear as it has come up the two previous years. Not a particularly fun trawl of the thread but I've added all posts I saw in relation to the issue of off-season FA additions, apologies if this makes thing murkier rather than clearer but since I joined the league off-season FA acquisitions have never been allowed and players picked up have always been returned for the following season's FA pool.

P.S. I can't view the transactions referred to. Where can I see them? Been so long since I've been on the site that I seem to have forgotten how to navigate it.
    I picked up Jake Ballard about a week and a half ago. I wasn't quite sure what the deal was with FAs before the draft, obviously it could be a bigger move now then it was then.

There's a few options that I can think of:

1. We go with a rookie/fa draft which was what the link in the OP suggested. If we go with this I drop Ballard and the waiver is locked until after the draft.

2. We just have a rookie draft and leave the waiver open during the off season.

3. We could have a rookie draft and a separate FA draft.

I'd probably lean towards a FA/rookie draft. It was probably what people had in mind when the league started.

We also need to pick a date for the draft and decide on how many round it will be. I'd like to get it out of the way before any of the other leagues have their draft. Like July?

I've read about some leagues expanding the roster before the draft and then cutting it down before the start of the league. This shouldn't be as important if we go with keeping 25/30 players, but a few extra spots would help trading draft picks.
    I assumed rosters were locked until the draft.

Happy with rookie/FA draft.
    Should only need 5 rounds, as we can keep 25 out of 30 players
    First off i would get confirmations that we have 12 players. Maybe set a poll in the league site asking are you playing and once we have 12 yes votes we are good to go.

Next is the draft. My personal preference is to restrict it to rookies (maybe 5 rounds = 60 rookies). Veterans can be acquired after the draft using the Free Agent Auction system we have in place. At the moment roster is at 30 with keepers set for 25. That means we need to all cut 5 players before we draft. Another personal preference of mine is to have a long offline draft. It will be hard to get everyone online at same time for a live draft and the rookie draft is very important for a dynasty league. Also im not sure how many of us have dealt with rookie drafts and might put pressure on people to select in 90 seconds. An offline draft shouldnt take much longer than a week so aim to start it in early august to get it out of the way before the rest of the boards drafts
    UCD AFC wrote: »
    I presume there is no adding FAs at this time? Just dropping my players now.
    No adds til after the draft. I couldnt see a way to turn them off but im gonna reverse any add i see. Once the draft is over then i'll set the waivers to run where people can add free agents & undrafted rookies
    Firstly, TAVON AUSTIN is the rookie you took. He would be one of the top rookies taken in the draft.

Secondly, Jake Ballard was picked up by Masked Man in June but he dropped him again in July. At that time most of us assumed FA adds were locked until the draft but that wasnt the case. I assumed Masked Man dropped Ballard in the interest of fairness.

You are right we dont have any rules in place, we dont even have any rules in place to operate the draft so technically we can have a free for all and just grab whoever we want. I am trying to get through this offseason as fairly as possible which means everyone gets a crack at the same free agents at the same time. If people dont want that i'll switch back on FAs (i figured out how to turn them off) and we can have our free for all
    I'm assuming you mean Jake Ballard (Vick was picked up last October). I picked up Ballard becasue I had a horrible situation at TE last year and figured he might have some value early on. I didn't know what the rules were going to be on FAs and figured it was better to be safe and pick him up. After Hernandez was arrested I made a post saying I was leaning toward dropping him. Rob said he assumed FA was locked so I dropped him.
    Tristram wrote: »
    Too many Ballards :o

Sorry about Tavon Austin - in my defense I have been drinking - I absolutely understand rookies not being taken until the draft.

However, I really don't get FAs not being taken. Why not? What's the point? Does that mean no-one is allowed trade in the off-season either? Dynasty 7 days a week, 365 days a year!
    I understand the 365 days a year thing but in reality its not. People disappear once the season ends and dont come back until July/August.

Im in a few other dynasty leagues and in every one of them FAs are closed prior to the draft. If people here want it open then i will open them but i dont see the fairness in allowing your adds to stand when everyone else assumed FAs were shut til after the draft
    The problem with picking up FAs now is that people could be assuming that FA is locked til after the draft and it's a bit unfair to get the jump on them.

I'd vote to keep it locked til after the draft. We're already on that road and I'd like a bit of time to get ready for an offline rookie draft.
    Thanks for keeping an eye on this Spongey.
    Yeah we had all agreed to keep FA pickups until after the rookie draft, then back to FAAB

Also, good idea to update your trading blocks lads, especially the new guys as it will carry over from previous owners' settings.
    Only 3 of us have updated since last season so some of them look a bit strange
    Good man Spongey, whatever you put up will be good to form a discussion anyway.
    Most of the standard rules already in the league on the site.

Just quick list off top of my head:

No FA pickups from end of season until after draft, when FAAB is re-instated

Date by which to cut down rosters

Format for draft each year

What to do with inactive player - how long before they are classified as 'inactive', does commish set lineup for them every week or go back through season and give them loss for every week? After season are they booted?

Trade veto - personally think veto's should only be applied where people suspect collusion, otherwise you're just second guessing people's judgement and if two people independently agree to a trade they are both happy with then don't think it's anyone else's business

Anti-tanking rules: players should have full active roster each week, especially towards end of the season. With rosters this size, hard to find a reason not to fill your team

No rule changes during the season unless unanimous vote

Rule changes in offseason only require majority vote

Members can suggest rules to vote on in offseason
    First off forgive the long windedness of this post. Here are a few rules for discussion. Let me know what you think or if any changes need to be made.

Boards Dynasty League
    Rules

1.League Set-up & Playoffs

(a) The league will be hosted on ESPN.com
    (b) The league is made up of 12 teams divided into 2 divisions.
    (c) Teams will play other teams on a head to head basis from week 1 to week 13.
    (d) The two division champions will be placed as #1 and #2 seeds for the purposes of the playoffs.
    (e) The next two best regular season teams will qualify for the playoffs as the #3 and #4 seeds.
    (f) The semi-finals will involve #1 v #4 and #2 v #3 and will be played over weeks 14 and 15.
    (g) The final will be contested between the two semi-final winners and will be held over weeks 16 and 17.

2. Rosters & Lineups
    (a) Teams are allowed a maximum of 30 players on their roster.
    (b) Players are required to start 15 players. These are 1QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 Offensive Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 Kicker, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB & 1 Defensive Flex.

3. Rookie Draft
    (a) Each year the rookie draft will be held at the end of July/start of August or at a date agreed by all players.
    (b) The draft will be conducted offline via the thread on Boards.ie dedicated to the Boards Dynasty League.
    (c) Every team will be required to nominate a maximum of 25 keepers in the league site prior to the draft taking place.
    (d) Each team will be allowed 24 hours to make their pick. As a courtesy to other teams each team will be asked to PM the next team to notify them that their pick is up. If a team has not made their pick within the 24 hours they will be awarded the highest ranked rookie available on the ESPN rankings.
    (e) The draft order will be decided by the final standings from the previous year. The league champion will have pick #12. The league runner up will have pick #11. The two losing semi-finalists will have picks #9 and #10 based on their final regular season records. Picks #1 to #8 will be the reverse of the seeds for the consolidation ladder (which is in order of best record to worst record). The consolidation ladder results will not decide any draft order.

4. Waivers
    (a) The league operates a Free Agent Auction system where teams put in blind bids for available free agents and the team with the highest bid will win that player. Any tied bids are decided in favour of the team with the worst record. Waivers will run every morning with the exception of tuesday.
    (b) Each team has a free agent auction budget of $100 for the season. Once that is gone teams will only be able to bid $0 for players.
    (c) Waivers will be closed from the time ESPN allow reactivation of the league until the conclusion of the rookie draft.
    (d) After the end of the season waivers will remain open until ESPN deactivates the league

5. Trades
    (a) Trading is allowed up to week 13. There is a one day trade review period before the trade comes official. 4 votes are required to veto the trade if it is deemed collusion.
    (b) Draft picks are tradeable. If the site does not allow picks to be included in the trade offer then just add a note to the trade indicating which picks are included and the commissioner will manually change the owners of the picks in the relevant draft.

6. Rule Changes
    (a) Any team can propose a rule change to the league. This can only take place during the offseason and will only be passed by a minimum of 7 votes. Votes will be done via poll on the league site and all members will be notified by email of the vote.

7. Inactive Players
    (a) All teams are required to submit valid lineups each week. If, for any reason, a team submits a lineup with inactive players or players with bye weeks, that team will be contacted and if they fail to respond their team will be placed in the hands of the commissioner and they will submit future lineups based on ESPN’s projected rankings. That player will be removed from the league at the end of the season.
    Are we allowed pickup guys at the moment?

Not doing it myself, but saw some pickups over last few days when went to do the poll. Couldn't remember what we'd agreed.
    Pretty sure it's not allowed. Spongey can clarify for sure. I know I mistakenly did pick up some guys last year. I just dropped them back for the FA auction.
    The intention is to close pickups from when next years league site gets activated until end of the rookie draft (FA pool is at its best then as we all have to drop players)

As for between now and when the 2013 league site closes (which I don't know when it is) I was hoping to keep waivers open and run them once a week. However the league site will not allow me to turn them off or change them. Its practically a free for all, if you want someone then you will get him straight away
    Going on what was said when I joined last year it had been agreed that were would be no pick-ups after the season ended. Also, the rules posted state that "waivers" will remain open. Currently there are no "waivers" so I don't think the additions should stand. Those players should be there for the FA draft or there's not going to be much points. At least that's how it was explained to me last time. No?
    D3PO wrote: »
    If it was agreed waivers would remain open and that possibility isn't available and only FA is then FA should be allowed as its been agreed team changes can be made and that's the only way it is possible to do them.

By all means if people are unhappy then I think it should be looked at again for the next season and a policy that is actually workable be introduced, but I don't think you can start demanding players be there for an FA draft that have been picked up.
    Hmmm... I think it's probably better to continue the way things have been and have all player acquisitions wait for the FA auction. Next season's auction won't be very meaningful otherwise. I don't know, what does everyone else think?
    Whether players are picked up now or not wont affect the FA auction later this year all that much. We all have to cut to 25 before the rookie draft so that frees up 5 players each that will go into the FA pool (some will have to drop more if they have more than 5 rookie picks). I'm also not sure when ESPN will deactivate the league so players values may increase from deactivation of the league and the FA auction

Most of the options in the league are blacked out for me so I cant change anything even if I wanted to. In my opinion there is very little difference in being able to pick up a FA now or submit a waiver request for that FA that will be run the next morning
    Personally think that rosters should be locked from end of our season.

I for one, and I think others too, worked under this assumption and paid no attention to the league.
    Obviously, behaviour would have been different if people thought players were up for grabs.

Though maybe I'm in the minority in this understanding, as 4 different teams have been picking guys up over past couple of weeks

Not too bothered about these pickups in particular, would just like clarity so we're all operating under the same rules
    Imo whatever it says in rule book is locked until next season.
    Obviously the season ends on sunday. What do people want to do with waivers between the end of the season and the rookie draft. Not sure when ESPN will shut down the 2014 site and reopen the 2015 site. We usually keep waivers open til the 2014 site shuts down but not sure how many people actually use them.

Also if people have any suggestions for rule changes lets get them posted so we can discuss them
    I don't think people should be allowed be make pick ups before draft starts.

Were there any problems last year? If not let's do the same.

Another fun season almost over, thanks everyone!
    Yeah thats what happened, i thought the waiver schedule would keep as it is during the season but it just turned FA ad i couldnt change it (in fact i dont know if i can change it again so all this may be a moot point)

Personal preference would be to switch off waivers altogther (if i can do it)
    See some free agent pickups being made at the moment.

Are these allowed or will commish reverse them before the draft?

Just want to check so we're all on the same page. Cheers
    Was there an answer to this. Just realised i haven't logged in since season ended :o
    They've never been allowed in the past and we didn't agree to change so I can't see them standing.
    The initial bylaws of the league had waivers open from the end of the season to the deactivation of the league by ESPN. Unless there was a vote to change this but i dont remember there was. If thats the case there is nothing i can do about the additions

In other news i have reactivated the league and closed waivers til the end of the rookie draft. I suppose we can get an idea if everyone is coming back and if anyone wants rule changes you can propose them here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

long shot but any cpu teams in this i can take over for no

Demarco murray on the block

Suppose we better get this league kickstarted for the season. Can i get a roll call to see who is playing this year?

Yip

In

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vivab13

In :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

In again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I'm back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I'm back in!

Welcome back everyone! Here's to another glorious season of dynasty! :)

Let's get some discussion going in relation to the proposed polls.

1) to abolish FA pickups after the end of the championship game

2) to move the final to week 16 from its current week 17 finish

The first one is very odd. FA pick ups have never been allowed during the off-season. This has been clarified each of the the past two off-seasons. If this was a proposal to change how the league has operated it would surely be "to enable FA pickups after the end of the championship game".

On the second one I would ask if there is a need for the change? Have the previous play-off/championships been negatively impacted by running to week 17. Sadly, I haven't been in the running at that late a stage so don't have a personal perspective. Not sure I recall complaints but maybe someone can refresh my memory!

I think I remember some good ideas for polls that were suggested during last season. Maybe someone remembers? Would be nice to see some of those ideas floated in polls.

I think the rules at the moment allow for pick ups until the league is deactivated. I don't know when this is but it runs into feb anyway. There are no pickups permitted from draft day until the end of our rookie draft.

I think the proposal was to change the final from two legs to one. In week 17 a lot of players for playoff bound teams are rested. Especially if they have home field locked up or cannot move up or down the standings.

Gufc is right. The rules allow for pickups between the end of the championship game and when the league is deactivated. Rule was never changed

Did waivers continue after the end of the season until ESPN deactivated the league, or, did it go to FA like last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Hi Guys,

Believein eli is out, just can't commit time at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Believein eli is out, just can't commit time at the moment.

i may take over this team if ye want? who's on it?

Advertisement