Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Hot Water, but Rads work fine.

Options
  • 18-02-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I've a bit of a problem that I cannot seem to find info on.

My hot water has been struggling to get to temperature lately (any decent temperature anyhow). It will get up to lukewarm only.

When I turn on my boiler the rads will heat fine but the hot water does not heat to anything more than a few degrees above lukewarm.

None of the valves have been touched in months so should all be open. I can hear the motorized valve activate and deactivate and the cylinder stat is set to 65°C.

My first thought was airlocks in the system as I thought I heard air bubbling through the cylinder at one point. However there doesn't seem to be any airlocks as water flows freely in the shower. Pump shower however does go through cycles of low pressure followed by full pressure.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the issues?

Also, would anyone have recommendations for plumber/electrician to install heating controls in the Galway area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Plumber called....gifted.... here on boards is in the Galway area. What part I'm not sure. PM him

Check that there's water in the small tank in the attic, you should have two, big one is for the taps.
    If you don't have a small tank, check if there's a small water pressure gauge/dial showing numbers 0-6 like a clock.
    Black needle should be between 1 and 1.5 max. It should have a valve to let in water. If in any way doubtful about it, call a plumber and he'll / she'll fix it and show you a bit of DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mr.Me32

Thanks for the info scudo2.

I seemed to have found the issue. It's a Sauter AXT111 Acutator sitting atop of a three way valve on boiler in-flow (I think) to the cylinder.

There's only a large tank in the attic. There's no pressure gauge that I know of or can see. However I'm looking in where the cylinder is, should I be looking elsewhere for that?

I monitored the cylinder today while the boiler was on. The motorized valve was open.

I'm not sure if my cylinder plumbing is standard or non-standard. Not sure if the flow is the top or bottom as the top seems to have an actuator on a three way valve and the bottom has the stopcock and motorized valve.

Effectively it seems I have a flow coming in from the boiler at the midpoint of the cylinder. This comes in through a three way valve with a Sauter AXT111 actuator on top.

Then I have the bottom return which flows past the stopcock to a t-joint, the t-joint splits off to a a motorized valve on and also down through the floor.

Anyhow, earlier the three way valve at the top was too hot to touch almost, but past the joint where it connected to the cylinder it was cold. The pipe on the bottom return where it joined the cylinder was too hot to touch.

So I removed the Sauter Actuator and turned on the boiler again, water heated up perfectly. More so than it has over the last number of weeks leading me to believe the actuator has been on its way out for a while.

The actuator is linked in some way to the motorized valve so I'm guessing they work together to either bypass the cylinder or not depending on whether that zone is turned on, would that be correct?

Is there any risk to leaving the actuator off for the time being until I have it all sorted?

Immersion is not an option as the stat is gone in that for some time now.........I must stop procrastinating and fix all these :)

Advertisement