Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

And their crap stinks like nothing I have ever smelled.
    At least cats can bury their faeces, unlike dogs who just **** all over the path

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Pookah wrote: »
    It's possibly a left-over from the prehistoric age when big cats stalked us, manifesting in the hypothalamus part of the brain.

Cat-lovers are therefore more evolved, according to this theory.

Proposing the theory that requiring a parasitic relationship implies those people being less evolved would be funny.:D

Personally it would be my experience that cats are grand, people who like cats are grand, people who treat their pets as people are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

most people like their animals dumber then them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

they're too much like people and only come to you when they want something.Fukking horrible creatures.Provide good target practice with my air pistol though,only plus side to having the things about tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Proposing the theory that requiring a parasitic relationship implies those people being less evolved would be funny.:D

Personally it would be my experience that cats are grand, people who like cats are grand, people who treat their pets as people are morons.

Only surpassed by people who treat people as pets...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Cats have been historically revered in pagan religions and were thought to possess supernatural powers. Ireland, being a strict Catholic country, has probably swallowed the crap about cats being evil etc. Ironic really as the Catholic Church is probably the biggest pagan religion there is. The Catholic Church just wants you to worship their sun god as opposed to the earth/moon goddess of other pagan religions.

Funny that Benedict XVI is a cat lover.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2008/04/benedict-xvi-po.html

Which leaves one wondering about all the other incorrect content in your post.

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    they're too much like people and only come to you when they want something.Fukking horrible creatures.Provide good target practice with my air pistol though,only plus side to having the things about tbh

Ok, why bother with them, then? Why not just leave them alone as they would leave you alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I ****ING HATE CATS!!
    And I'm a lesbian so like my favorite thing after women and motorcycles is supposed to be cats

I don't see the connection :confused:

Purring kitties rock!

Tbh I'd prefer a red panda as a pet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Shenshen wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how many stray dogs do you shoot on average?
    The number of stray animals in this country is utterly unreal, that much is true. The only times I've seen similar numbers of strays would have been in 3rd world countries.

I only ever shot a dog once, to put him down. Cant remember the last time I saw a stray dog, its fairly rare. Dogs stay with their owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

newmug wrote: »
    I hate cats, and shoot any that stray onto my property. First I try to make them leave. If they keep turning up at my door, I try to find their owner. I take photos, put up posters etc. If that doesnt work, its the bullet. There are so many strays around, its unbelievable. A friend shot 30 in one day that were hanging around his farm, 30!!! The hatred stems from people not giving a fcuk about their animals, and allowing them to become feral vermin. Never, not a single time, have I ever found an owner for the cats I've shot.

What cal. do you use.Airarm or Firearm.Just interested to know what is best for as swift a kill as possible?

Don't worry people,this is purely a ballistics issue,I'm not going shooting any pussies.................with load firing weapons.................made of steel...........which are not physically part of me.That there's what I won't be doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

I had a cat once, it died soon after

I only ever shot a dog once, to put him down. Cant remember the last time I saw a stray dog, its fairly rare. Dogs stay with their owners.

Where do all the strays on the roads come from, then?

I have to admit that I'm scared of dogs, having been attacked by one as a child. So I found walking in the evenings here to be a really frightening experience....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

mikom wrote: »
    Cats are bitches, just using you for food, heat and lodging.

How many cats do you see sat with a homeless person?
    Now ask yourself how many dogs do you see sat with a homeless person?

Case closed.

How many hamsters do you see sat with a homeless person?

Yet, they are not reviled in the way cats often are.

Case re-opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Purring kitties rock!

Tbh I'd prefer a red panda as a pet
    After watching that I wants one for christmas now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I ****ING HATE CATS!!
    And I'm a lesbian so like my favorite thing after women and motorcycles is supposed to be cats, but they smell and they get under your feet and they don't even like you! You just feed them and then they're like **** you I'm a cat I don't care about you. DOGS ALL THE WAY!

I think it's supposed to be pussy, not cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

At least cats can bury their faeces, unlike dogs who just **** all over the path

Dogs learn things if you teach them.They can learn not to crap on the path and a whole lot more.

Imagine what this lil poochie must think when he sees a cat in it's litterbox.Is there facepalm for dogs.Face paw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Dogs learn things if you teach them.They can learn not to crap on the path and a whole lot more.

Imagine what this lil poochie must think when he sees a cat in it's litterbox.Is there facepalm for dogs.Face paw?

Meh. My cats not only poop in the toilet, they flush it down afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Shenshen wrote: »
    Where do all the strays on the roads come from, then?

Where do you live? Its probably just a problem in your area. I havent seen a stray dog on the roads in all the 2000's.
    What cal. do you use.Airarm or Firearm.Just interested to know what is best for as swift a kill as possible?

Not sure if it would be wise to reply to that publicly. Suffice to say if it'll kill a bunny, it'll kill a pussy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Jaysus look mammy ders kittens in da shed, suur i'l tro dem in a bag an drowneded em...

I live pretty far into the countryside, and yet I've never heard a single person say something so ridiculously idiotic as this. Maybe if you went back a few generations you'd find some illiterate folk, but that was just sheer stupidity on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Cats are great and people who hate them are the same kind of stupid people who think that they can't like playing PlayStation because they own an Xbox.

Where do you live? Its probably just a problem in your area. I havent seen a stray dog on the roads in all the 2000's.

Used to live in Dublin, now living in co Cork, and I've seen high numbers of them in both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Cats are not bad but are drastically inferior to dogs. Dogs actually serve a purpose, guard dogs , dogs for the blind, cattle/sheep dogs, rescue dogs, drug/corpse dogs, huskies, they help people keep fit. If dogs disappeared they would be missed, if cats disappeared they would not be missed because we have dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Kiera wrote: »
    Haha, i'm not gonna change my opinion on them just cause you think i should ;)

Be open minded. Have you ever met a feline since to get over your fear of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

Why do people compare cats to dogs? They are two different types of animals. It's like comparing a giraffe to a lion or something.
    Also cats are awesome. You always know where you stand with a cat. They either like you or they don't. Dogs can turn on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Cats are not bad but are drastically inferior to dogs. Dogs actually serve a purpose, guard dogs , dogs for the blind, cattle/sheep dogs, rescue dogs, drug/corpse dogs, huskies, they help people keep fit. If dogs disappeared they would be missed, if cats disappeared they would not be missed because we have dogs.

You know what the bubonic plague was? You know why it spread so fast? Because superstitious Christians used to kill cats, which led to a massive increase in rat populations. These rats were everywhere and spread the plague like wildfire. Want to reconsider your statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I dislike Cats cause i feel they're disloyal

Theres a stray cat on the road and the fúcking thing is fearless would sit in the middle of the road and stare you down, even after beeping and him and revving the engine he still doesn't budge

You know what the bubonic plague was? You know why it spread so fast? Because superstitious Christians used to kill cats, which led to a massive increase in rat populations. These rats were everywhere and spread the plague like wildfire. Want to reconsider your statement?

I predict his argument is going to be that these days, we have rat poison. ;)

That said, most dogs that are being kept as pets would be utterly useless for any other purpose, so that comparison is standing on rather shaky legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

gurramok wrote: »
    Be open minded. Have you ever met a feline since to get over your fear of them?

I'm 31, of course i have.

Advertisement