Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    but I carry a pouch

Surely not since you started using that calorie App!?? ;):D

Lesson learned. Dont suggest stuff to niall ;)

Unless, that is, it concurs 100% with what he's spouting on about in that particular week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

You're on fire today guns!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Managed to get through the Finish line and exit pretty efficiently. Excellent organisation it has to be said, the roads were closed off and it allowed a swift transfer to the Coal Hole. Must have been 1pm by the time I got there, I had contemplated that I might be the first arrival but was immediately greeted by Brian, RK, KC, Robin and pronator amongst others. Grabbed a seat and settled in for the long haul.
    First few pints went down slowly, we’re talking 1 hour per pint here, nothing ground breaking but steady as she goes. Discussed Nutrition strategy with Pronator. We both agreed that there was no point rushing things, we’d opt for a burger after 5 or six pints or whenever the stomachs felt like it. No point forcing the issue so short into the session. Soon we were joined by Ronnie 085, Marathastew, Kiely Unusual among others and the pace dropped down to 30 minutes per pint at worst. Next thing I knew the Jamesons were being ordered and it all gets a bit blurry at this point. I had gotten the demons in my head a few hours before, even thought about dropping out early at one point but it was 11pm at this point and the pub was closing and all I could think about was more beer. Thankfully a few others had the same Idea and myself, MS, Ronnie and Kiely unusual headed back to the strand palace for more.
    I can’t quite remember all the details from this point on, but needless to say we wre well into double figures before I headed back the apartment. I had a bit of a moment finding the place, but a bit of help from the marshals (London’s Finest PC’s) and I hit the sack at x oclock. Wasn’t checking the watch at this point so I have no idea of my exact time…Oh wait you came here for a race report??

Ha ha. A good time was had so.

haha, are you only learning this now? ;)
    I just prefer to do what actually works for me based on my own experience rather than some science experiment. I would never try to force a gel down me when the stomach is not receptive, but when it is I guess I must be absorbing them ok?

Actually looking at the figures you quote that is actually loads of carbs, most people would never take on 90g/hour and if they did, they would generally leave it until the last hour when it is too late. What i am saying is that it is probably more effective and easy to take on those carbs in the first hour rather than the last one...

Apparently the body can only handle 60g a hour of carbs. After that the bad stomach kicks it. Of course this doesnt mean it applies to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Don't think I ever congratulated you. Well done, cracking race. You were already hammered by the time I got to the coal hole...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great report....the beer one...loved it! I would say that was some monster session!

I didnt bother reading the race report after that :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Great running at the weekend Meno and a not too shabby report either. Great craic in the Coal Hole alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Paddy power are offering odds of 7/2 of Tyrone beating Dublin tomorrow in the league final. Considering Tyrone beat the dirty Dubs a few weeks ago, I think those odds are pretty good. That means PP thinks Tyrone would only beat Dublin 2 times out of nine :pac::eek::rolleyes: Ok, I admit the dubs are favorites but no way it is a 7/2 game....

Just giving you a big tip, get the money on Tyrone, that's what you call value.....

Paddy power are offering odds of 7/2 of Tyrone beating Dublin tomorrow in the league final. Considering Tyrone beat the dirty Dubs a few weeks ago, I think those odds are pretty good. That means PP thinks Tyrone would only beat Dublin 2 times out of nine :pac::eek::rolleyes: Ok, I admit the dubs are favorites but no way it is a 7/2 game....

Just giving you a big tip, get the money on Tyrone, that's what you call value.....

Depends on who is the fittest team at this time of year for croke park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Managed to get through the Finish line and exit pretty efficiently. Excellent organisation it has to be said, the roads were closed off and it allowed a swift transfer to the Coal Hole. Must have been 1pm by the time I got there, I had contemplated that I might be the first arrival but was immediately greeted by Brian, RK, KC, Robin and pronator amongst others. Grabbed a seat and settled in for the long haul.
    First few pints went down slowly, we’re talking 1 hour per pint here, nothing ground breaking but steady as she goes. Discussed Nutrition strategy with Pronator. We both agreed that there was no point rushing things, we’d opt for a burger after 5 or six pints or whenever the stomachs felt like it. No point forcing the issue so short into the session. Soon we were joined by Ronnie 085, Marathastew, Kiely Unusual among others and the pace dropped down to 30 minutes per pint at worst. Next thing I knew the Jamesons were being ordered and it all gets a bit blurry at this point. I had gotten the demons in my head a few hours before, even thought about dropping out early at one point but it was 11pm at this point and the pub was closing and all I could think about was more beer. Thankfully a few others had the same Idea and myself, MS, Ronnie and Kiely unusual headed back to the strand palace for more.
    I can’t quite remember all the details from this point on, but needless to say we wre well into double figures before I headed back the apartment. I had a bit of a moment finding the place, but a bit of help from the marshals (London’s Finest PC’s) and I hit the sack at x oclock. Wasn’t checking the watch at this point so I have no idea of my exact time…Oh wait you came here for a race report??

Some base work for a potential upcoming beer mile?

Belated congrats for last weekend btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Does 7/2 mean if you put on €20 you lose €20? Up the Dubs. :)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Does 7/2 mean if you put on €20 you lose €20? Up the Dubs. :)

Almost made you eat those words :-(. My €40 would have returned €180.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Almost made you eat those words :-(. My €40 would have returned €180.
    Instead thats 40 yoyos you won't be seeing again:p. Great to see Sean Quinn's buddy getting a kick up the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

'Mon the Dubs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I stayed away from your log so you could enjoy your London glory for a while but I just wanted to pop in to note that the first third of 2013 ends at midnight. That means there are two full thirds left in the year 2013. Take from that what you will... ;)

claralara wrote: »
    I stayed away from your log so you could enjoy your London glory for a while but I just wanted to pop in to note that the first third of 2013 ends at midnight. That means there are two full thirds left in the year 2013. Take from that what you will... ;)

I am open for any challenges, but I won't be racing any more marathons in 2013 :) Spring 2014 if you dare but you will have to change the title of your log ;)

month|2012 Run days|Miles|2013 Run days|Miles
    January|28/31|290.1|25/31|243
    February|27/29|283.2|26/28|237
    March|24/31|204.7|26/31|234
    April|23/30|187.8|24/30|156
    May|29/31|240||
    June|20/30|176||
    July|30/31|309.2||
    August|28/31|257||
    September|26/30|227||
    October|25/31|171||
    November|27/30|201||
    December|28/31|210||
    Total|317/365|2757.8.5|101/120|870

Just updating the table for April.
    Recovery has been very slow since last Sunday. The left calf has been quite sore so I only managed 2 runs and 4 miles last week. Seems like I did some damage to the calf by running through the cramp when it struck, but thankfully it seems they were only micro tears which have cleared up now. Did a 4 mile tempo at the club tonight, and while I only stuck to MP, it felt fine so I am now looking forward to the next few weeks running.

I am pacing 1:40 in Limerick on Sunday which should be great craic.
    I was going to pace 1:45 in Kildare the following week, but stupidly agreed to pace 3:30 in the full about 5 days ago. At the time my short term plan was to run Portumna Marathon in 3:09:xx to get my London qualifier for next year (in my own name) so i figured the Full pacing gig would be good for keeping up endurance.

In the meantime the London Qualifying times have come out and I actually need a sub 3:05 to get a London QT. I just can't stomach trying that again so Portumna is out. I entered the ballot for London instead so My options next spring will be:
    1. Get a ballot place for London
    2. Run again in Brians name (my sprint in the last 385 yds, insured he is qualified again :))
    3. Pick another Spring Marathon (Barcelona, Paris, Rotterdam)

So after Kildare I'll be concentrating on speed, hopefully will be racing a lot over the next few months (starting with the sportsworld 5 miler) and then will target a Half in Autumn to get a sub 1:25 which should set me up for a sub 3 programme over the winter. I am strongly considering the Charleville half as a target race. Even though it is the National half, I can't be bothered doing the Rock'n'Roll race for a variety of reasons (one of them being the 8:30 start time).

I am open for any challenges, but I won't be racing any more marathons in 2013 :) Spring 2014 if you dare but you will have to change the title of your log ;)

You not doing Portumna?

digger2d2 wrote: »
    You not doing Portumna?

Not anymore. When I was gonna do it I though the london Qualifier would be sub 3:10 but now it is sub 3:05 I can't be bothered trying that again, it would need a PB.
    I'll save myself for Dunshaughlin instead and maybe try the Beer Mile the night before Portumna ;)

BTW you are getting some slagging over on the Limerick Thread on events forum. I thought you would have been over there to defend yourself :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Run a sub 75 half and join a UK club and you can enter London that way...

Run a sub 75 half and join a UK club and you can enter London that way...

I said I was going for a sub 85 not a sub 75.
    Suppose I could always ask TRR to run a half in my Name then join the Newry City Runners ;)

I suppose I better do an update as things have been going quite well over the past few months. I have been doing lots of races; not as many miles as last year but lots of quality. My club have a 7 race series which I have been doing every Tuesday for the past 4 weeks (3 more to go). While I haven’t raced them flat out; I have ran a lot faster than tempo runs and given the fact they are general over very hilly courses; they have definitely ‘toughened’ me up a bit.
    Otherwise I have been doing an official race most weekends as well. Some have went very well and some not so well. I did the superfast Enfield 5k at the end of May. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/316260956. I was delighted to get a PB of 18:35 but at the same stage a little disappointed as I felt I had wanted to get under 18:30 and didn’t feel too wrecked at the end. I just felt that I was a little out of practise over shorter races.

Next up was the beer mile which was distaster :p. Took a lot of confidence away as I got chicked by claralara for the first time :D and digger beat me for only his second ever time. Report here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85088993&postcount=505

Two days later was the Dublin novice road race; a 5k in Raheny. I had agreed to do this for the club but was still feeling very ropey from the beer mile (more accurately the celebrations) as it was less than 36 hours after the race. I turned up anyway thinking I would be happy to run under 20 minutes but was annoyed to see digger and CL turn up too as I reckoned I could be in trouble again. So it proved as my 19:03 was 15 seconds behind CL and I only managed to hold off digger by a few seconds. Let’s just say I knew I could do better but my stomach was in no shape to go faster (as evidenced by my fart before the race :p). Fair play to Cl though on her win in the Ladies novice race.

After another tough club race on the Tuesday I took it easy for a few days ahead of The Dunshaughlin 10k. This is one race I had targeted for a good time as I felt my 10k PB was particularly weak (39:45). It was an evening race so I made sure to have a good long lie in and relaxed all day before it. I lined up at the start and had sub 39 in my head but as I have been doing recently, decided not to look at the Garmin. I knew the key to this race was to get to the hill at 8k with enough in the tank to push on. Off we went and I got a slow start. Spent the first mile getting up to speed (it is a downhill start) so was happy to hear 6:10 called out at the first mile marker. From here on it was a matter of constantly passing people. I noticed one lad in a blue singlet going at my speed and cutting through the field so I decided to track him. This turned out to be a good plan as he was very consistent and going past people. I am sure I annoyed him though as I was right on his shoulder. I had a frog in my throat and kept coughing regularly. He must have thought I was going to fall off the pace. Heard 12:20 at mile 2 so was happy, then I heard 18:40 at mile 3 and feared I was slowing. We went through 5k in 19:20. I wasn’t feeling particularly good at this point and felt the sub 39 would be tough given the harder 2nd half however……we were now in a group containing about 7 runners including Mr Drak and a few SW girls who usually beat me. My pacer went straight through the group so I went after him. Mile 4 is nicely downhill so I was delighted to hear 23:38 shouted at mile 4- we had made up time (or was the 3rd mile marker long??). I was feeling better now but mile 5 is the hardest with a short hill followed by a longer one. We hammered up the short hill which brought us to KM 7 and joined the next runner. However my pacer did not push past and I noticed he was struggling for the first time. Sensing blood I went for the kill and pushed on. I hit the long hill at 7.5k and started reeling in the runners in front. Passed about 10 but I had a Donore girl in my sights (funny gait girl)- she had gone well ahead at the start and was paying now. I flew by her halfway up the hill and just about caught another girl at the top- a dunshaughlin girl called Emilia who normally pips me in races. I had to keep the foot down on cresting the hill to stay ahead. 31:00 was called out at 5 miles (a 38 second unofficial PB) so I knew I had sub 39 in the bag and the urge was strong to drop off the pace. I kept seeing targets up ahead though so the motivation was to catch and pass. I felt like I hammered the last mile but coming into the finish straight I was absolutely spent. I had passed a group with about 600m to go but with absolutely no kick left a few of them came back by me in the home straight :o. Anyways I can’t worry as I felt I gave it my all. Final time 38:29 Splits: 6:07, 6:16, 6:17, 6:03, 6:20 (2 hills) 6:06 and 6:09 pace for the last 0.21. It turns out I ran the second 5k in 19:09- 11 seconds faster than the first half. Gotta be happy with that.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/331648138

Another club race on the Tuesday which I took at HM pace deliberately to give me a chance on Friday night. Fridays race was St Cocas 5k. I did it last year and had a terrible run (19:20); mainly because I was just back from 10 days at the Euro Championships, but it was the scene of my ugliest defeat (digger passed me over the last 800m) so I had some revenge in mind. A stressful day at work, meant I was feeling neither fresh nor confident at the start line; when I saw Belcarra I even offered to pace him to sub 20 and would have done so I f he accepted.. Strangely I was not nervous either- just wanted to get the race over with. Again I did not look at the garmin so I only knew the mile splits afterwards…….Got off to a really poor start. People I should be challenging seemed to be 20 mts ahead at the first corner. I ended up getting stuck behind lines of slower runners who went out too fast so I had to do a lot of swerving and side stepping in the first half mile to find some clear road. I was a bit annoyed but maybe this actually helped? After a mile I saw I was closing on Emilia from Dunshaughlin so I figured I wasn’t going too bad, passed her quickly before the long drag up over the motorway bridge. Again I had a surrogate pacer (in an Amsterdam Tshirt) so I followed him as we cut through the field. Soon we passed the sign say 2k to go which was a surprise as I had missed a few markers. We had already negotiated the 2 main hills so the rest of the course was straight forward. I spotted Charlotte and Brendan from Donadea up ahead. They had fast starts but were fading; my pacer was pushing on and I was trying to hang on to his coat tails. With 1k to go I went past Charlotte (1st time ever in a race under HM :D) and at 800m to go I went past Brendan (he beat me by over a minute in a 10k a few months ago) but I was totally spent at this point and didn’t kill him off. As we came into the home straight there is a drag up to the finish and he came back past me; again I had absolutely no kick. All I could do was hang on but was delighted with my time of 18:22. A 13 second Improvement on Enfield on a course that is much slower (I would conservatively say 10-15 seconds slower).
    My splits after the race revealed remarkably even pacing: 5:56, 5:56, 5:56!! Not intentional in the slightest but curious nonetheless!!
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/334512763

The best new of these 2 PB’s is that McMillan now predicts a sub 3 marathon for the first time ever!!

So for next month I am going to cut back on the races. I have 3 club races left but as I say I won’t be flat out in those. Hoping to build up the miles in July which should set me up for a decent time in the national half. After that I have 7 weeks specific training for the goal race which will be the Charleville Half at the end of September; then I’ll be pacing DCM which should be a bit of craic.

May|29/31|240|27/31|187
    June|20/30|176|28/30|211
    July|30/31|309.2||
    August|28/31|257||
    September|26/30|227||
    October|25/31|171||
    November|27/30|201||
    December|28/31|210||
    Total|317/365|2757.8.5|156/181|1268

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Congrats on the PBs! I love the even pacing at St. Coca's too.... legendary stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on all the race times. Even more impressed that you managed to find your log from the back pages. Bet it took longer to find then you're 5k time in Cocas.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

jaysus Meno - you don't update much these days, but when you do, its a cracker!

Great running altogether - I'll need to sharpen my 5k & 10k times as a result ;)

Let’s just say I knew I could do better but my stomach was in no shape to go faster (as evidenced by my fart before the race :p). Fair play to Cl though on her win in the Ladies novice race.

I witnessed this, amazed there was no follow through :eek:

So after the last post I continued working towards the Goal for the 2nd Half of the year- The Athlone Half (changed when I realised Charleville was on aweek later than I thought). I upped the miles a bit but dialed back the number of races. I still finished out the club race series winning the 1200m race in 3:58 (ok there were only 5 opponents and all the faster ones were doing the mile :pac:). I think I did the R&R half around this time, I did OK considering I had to stop to loosen my lace (my foot had gone numb) losing 30 seconds. I ran 1:27 on a tough course with no taper and mildly hungover. So I figured a 1:24 XX was still on with a bit of training on a better day.

Anyway the 1200m club race got me thinking I might run a good mile so I did the BHAA mile in the middle of august hoping for 5:20ish. I made a good stab of it running 5:24/5:25, though the final sprint made the hamstring tighten up. It felt really tight on the cool down.
    I convinced myself all was ok and was doing a 20 miler 3 days later with Clarlalara, AMK (then still known as RK ;)) and drQ. It was just myself and CL after 19 and she started upping the pace over the last mile so I went with it and felt a tug on the hammer, then boom a total tear :o. I Had to walk/hobble half a mile back to the Car Park and a few days later Ecoli diagnosed it as a grade 2 tear :o. In hindsight not drinking anything on a 20 mile run in the summer with a tight muscle might not have been a good idea :rolleyes:
    Anyway that was the end of running in August and the end of plans to race the HM...
    The next 2 weeks were spent doing no running then I got back to jogging in September. I was only able to do a few miles at 9-10 minute miles at first but gradually the hammer felt stronger and I built it up to slightly longer runs. In the end I managed to run the Half in 1:37 (but only pushed at all in the last 3-4 miles) and then got the green light from Ecoli to get back to 'normal' training.

Anyway since then it has just been a case of building back up the miles and trying to get back to fitness. I managed to pace the 3:40 group in DCM off a few long runs (3:39:51 :D) and have continued building up the miles through November/December to finish with a respectable Mileage total and more importantly a good base going into the Marathon training in the new year.
    The goal of course is sub 3 in London and I am quietly hopeful though it is still a stretch.
    My 18:47 in Jingle bells 5k was 5 seconds quicker than last year but perhaps more importantly I have been doing consistent 60 mile weeks which will hopefully give me a better base towards running some 70/80 mile weeks in January-March. January-March 2013 was pretty crappy marathon training and I still managed 3:04 so if I can do better in 2014 I might still have a good shout at that sub-3.

May|29/31|240|27/31|187
    June|20/30|176|28/30|211
    July|30/31|309.2|??/??|220
    August|28/31|257|??/??|140
    September|26/30|227|??/??|209
    October|25/31|171|??/??|203
    November|27/30|201|28/30|241
    December|28/31|210|28/31|242
    Total|317/365|2757.8.5|311/365|2524

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

You did great mileage for the year considering the hammer and a broken few months around then.
    I noticed you were putting in very decent mileage the past 4-6 weeks as you surged past me in the 1,000 mile table! :cool:

That's a great base to have heading into 2014 and you are giving yourself every chance possible for the goal in London. Any chance you will return to logging the training here? What plan will you follow for London?

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    You did great mileage for the year considering the hammer and a broken few months around then.
    I noticed you were putting in very decent mileage the past 4-6 weeks as you surged past me in the 1,000 mile table! :cool:

That's a great base to have heading into 2014 and you are giving yourself every chance possible for the goal in London. Any chance you will return to logging the training here? What plan will you follow for London?

I'll consider logging if the training is going well ;)

I'll be following my own 'makey uppy' plan mostly based on what Larry Brent has had me do over the past few cycles. It won't be dissimilar to the recent 'gradiuates' plan with a few more miles.
    I'll be doing the 50k in Donadea in Feb again (hopefully a comfortable sub-4) as a steady long run. Then the Bohermeen Half in Meath at the start of March will be the big tune up race. I reckon if I can run sub 1:25 there I should be betting favourite for sub 3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement