Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 to build €4m HD studio

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wonder who the electronics company is.

Sony? Panasonic? SiS?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tell them to stop, HD is so 2011

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19370582

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

That is surely only going to be useful for big outside displays. Unless of course you have a cinema screen at home :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

NIMAN wrote: »
    Tell them to stop, HD is so 2011

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19370582[/QUOTE]

BBC won't be going for that any time soon. Public opinion is trying to get them to retain 1920x1080i which they introduced for their Olympic HD coverage. They seem to be of the opinion that 1440x1080i is adequate for DSAT & also conforms with some mandate that they must have equal quality coverage between Freeview & Freesat. Other FTA HD channels such as Channel 4, ITV & NHK don't seem to be affected by these constraints.
    Link to digital spy thread on the subject.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1723451

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

LIVE FROM THE SAMSUNG/SONY/PANASONIC HD STUDIOS IN DUBLIN, IRELAND IT'S THE TV3 NEWS AT 5:30

LIVE FROM THE SAMSUNG/SONY/PANASONIC HD STUDIOS IN DUBLIN, IRELAND IT'S VINCENT BROWNE TONIGHT (OPTIONAL WITH GUEST HOST ....)

Board meeting at TV3

DMcR: So lads we can't advertise on the News options lads?
    BF: We make Vincent Browne into a political Big Brother.
    NC: Vincent won't go for reality TV.
    DMcM: Yeah! try getting him to introduce Phychics Live.
    FMcG: How about we get the Guys from Tallafornia to sit in with Vincent Browne and have Vinny to you know ask them about drinking jagermeister in the 2010s and like the damage that it is doing to society
    DMcR: Don't think the guys from Jagermeister would like the Tallafornia lads representing them.
    TV3 Consultant: Why not give naming rights to a new HD studio

(I am sure I am taking the naming rights Idea away from someone in TV3 but just wanted to be fair :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I hope they will do something about their sound quality.

The sound from their live studios is terrible, very poor acoustics exacerbated by bad use of mic processing.

I'd also like to hear some use of 5.1 surround - what are the chances?

A.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I wonder if RTE might copy the naming idea.

"Here from the studio in Montrose ..."

might become

"Here from the Toyota (or whatever name you like) Studio in Montrose .......

Hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭SPDUB

There was an interview with David McRedmond in this weeks Sunday Times though there was so much whining about RTE I couldn't finish the interview .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

SPDUB wrote: »
    There was an interview with David McRedmond in this weeks Sunday Times though there was so much whining about RTE I couldn't finish the interview .

i read that interview too. awful stuff to give DMcR over nearly a full page to moan about rte and say that tv3 is really a better public service broadcaster than rte. moaned on and on about how rte2 should be shut and that they should not be allowed buy any foreign programmes or rights and that setanta should still have the rabodirect league....

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Got this from TV3 a few days ago.

Thank you for your email.

We expect to launch the new studio in November this year.

It is not yet decided if or when the new HD service will appear on the Saorview platform. We await clarity on Tariffs for carriage on Saorview before we can complete our business analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

TV3 has announced it is to join up with Sony International to provide "the latest in high-definition camera and support equipment" for the company's new HD studio at their headquarters in Dublin. As part of the multi-year deal, the studio will be named the 'Sony HD Studio Dublin'. The 500sqm development, which is based on similar designs at Sky and BBC, was completed in July 2012 and is Ireland's largest purpose-built TV studio. The work completes the upgrading of TV3's facilities following the installation of a HD transmission suite and infrastructure in 2010.

http://www.independent.ie/business/world/tv3-joins-up-with-sony-for-hd-studio-3228919.html

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I can't imagine Sony paying them much until they actually start broadcasting programmes in HD from the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭tlaavtech

MarkK wrote: »
    I can't imagine Sony paying them much until they actually start broadcasting programmes in HD from the studio.

The deal would likely have been for very favourable pricing on the equipment rather than a payment from Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

The 500sqm development, which is based on similar designs at Sky and BBC, was completed in July 2012 and is Ireland's largest purpose-built TV studio.
    I don't think so, as studio 4 at Montrose is about twice the size!

LIVE FROM THE SONY HD STUDIOS DUBLIN IRELAND THIS IS THE 5:30 NEWS WITH ALAN CANTWELL AND COLETTE FITZPATRICK

LIVE FROM THE SONY HD STUDIOS DUBLIN IRELAND THIS IS MIDWEEK WITH COLETTE FITZPATRICK

LIVE FROM THE SONY HD STUDIOS DUBLIN IRELAND THIS IS TONIGHT WITH VINCENT BROWNE

Doesn't really matter if they are in HD, sony get an ad on news and current affairs and TV3 get around the ban on sponsorship of News and Current Affairs.

At least it will do away with the awful blue screen sets of the last 6 years on TV3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    LIVE FROM THE SONY HD STUDIOS DUBLIN IRELAND THIS IS THE 5:30 NEWS WITH ALAN CANTWELL AND COLETTE FITZPATRICK with make up by Lax Foriel - because you know we are worth it!

LIVE FROM THE SONY HD STUDIOS DUBLIN IRELAND THIS IS MIDWEEK WITH COLETTE FITZPATRICK with make up by Lax Foriel - because you know we are worth it!

LIVE FROM THE SONY HD STUDIOS DUBLIN IRELAND THIS IS TONIGHT WITH VINCENT BROWNE with make up by Lax Foriel - because you know we are worth it!

Doesn't really matter if they are in HD, sony get an ad on news and current affairs and TV3 get around the ban on sponsorship of News and Current Affairs.

At least it will do away with the awful blue screen sets of the last 6 years on TV3.

Perhaps they can add to it. More sponsorship and less news. Winners all round.

HD will only mean anything if they actually broadcast in HD - preferably on Saorview. It will leave them open to awful slagging if it is only HD. Mind you, being awful never stopped them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭firkin

For any one who's interested the planning documents are here: http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&regref=SD11A/0223

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Does TV3 have the playout technology in place for HD broadcasting? If so what kind of timeframe can we expect before the likes of the Champions League and other sport, films and other programming filmed in HD being broadcast by TV3 in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Does TV3 have the playout technology in place for HD broadcasting? If so what kind of timeframe can we expect before the likes of the Champions League and other sport, films and other programming filmed in HD being broadcast by TV3 in HD.

According to a short piece in the Sunday Business Post yesterday
    It [HD studio] completes the upgrading of TV3 Group's facilities following the installation of a HD transmission suite and infrastructure in 2010.

byte

I thought I read somewhere that Sony themselves also intend to use the facility as part of the deal. Can't see where I read it now...

EDIT: It seems Sony have first dibs on usage of the facility.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/29219-tv3-and-sony-to-deploy-new/

• Advertisement

I remember Rick Hetherington saying how TV3 was able to go digital with a flick of a switch in the Sunday Business Post a decade ago.

byte

Digital or HD?

Elmo wrote: »
    I remember Rick Hetherington saying how TV3 was able to go digital with a flick of a switch in the Sunday Business Post a decade ago.

Well, they did go wide-screen at the flick of a switch. Pity they cannot pay their way at the stroke of a pen!

I wonder do we have possibility that RTE one, tv3 and tg4 HD channels would all launch on the same day on all platforms including saorview. That would be a great step forward in HD in Ireland.

I wonder do we have possibility that RTE one, tv3 and tg4 HD channels would all launch on the same day on all platforms including saorview. That would be a great step forward in HD in Ireland.

Maybe but not until sometime next year at the earliest. For TV3 it will depend on the cost of carriage and transmission - the so called DTT Tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I wonder how keen Sky will be to provide RTE 1, TV3 and TG4 in HD.
    When they agreed to RTE 2 HD, they thought they could put it as part of their HD sub.

Also, RTE 2 HD fitted on the same transponder as the SD versions of RTE1/2, TV3 and TG4, so there was not the cost of a new transponder.
    More HD channels means a second Irish transponder.

The current mux is full and any expansion requires the second mux. If the second mux starts up, it would make sense for it to be divided such that RTE has mux1 and TG4 and TV3 has the seond mux, together with OTV and any other channels.

So we would have mux1
    RTE1 HD
    RTE2 HD
    RTE News Now (SD)
    RTE jr/RTE + (SD
    RTE Radios

Mux2
    TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    3E (SD)
    OTV/IFT (SD)
    Commercial radios (if they opt to go on)

Has a nice ring to it in my mind.

Just a question of how much and who pays what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

MarkK wrote: »
    I wonder how keen Sky will be to provide RTE 1, TV3 and TG4 in HD.
    When they agreed to RTE 2 HD, they thought they could put it as part of their HD sub.

They did in their arse. :) The terms of any must offer/carry would have included no additional cost per the legislation regardless of the platform. Sky would have known this. They are well aware of the legislation having contributed to it at its consultative stages. Sky tried it on, they needed to be told what they couldnt do. In the meantime they possibly fooled plenty of people into needless HD contracts.

The current mux is full and any expansion requires the second mux. If the second mux starts up, it would make sense for it to be divided such that RTE has mux1 and TG4 and TV3 has the seond mux, together with OTV and any other channels.

So we would have mux1
    RTE1 HD
    RTE2 HD
    RTE News Now (SD)
    RTE jr/RTE + (SD
    RTE Radios

Mux2
    TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    3E (SD)
    OTV/IFT (SD)
    Commercial radios (if they opt to go on)

Has a nice ring to it in my mind.

Just a question of how much and who pays what.

And is it a case that the second Mux could be fired up today or would it take alot of work to set up?

• Advertisement

And is it a case that the second Mux could be fired up today or would it take alot of work to set up?

Second mux is ready to go according to Saorview themselves and is occasionally switched on for testing as it was earlier today at Maghera as reported the Mux2 thread.

Advertisement