Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worzel Gummidge

Options
  • 20-04-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Remember this tv show about a talking scarecrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ah yes, I remember it. There was Aunt Sally and the Scarecrow Maker If I recall correctly. I didn't watch it often but I do remember it vaguely alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Ah I loved 'Worzel Gummidge'...pity they didn't repeat it. It used to be on on a Sunday evening I think. The little girl was played by Charlotte Coleman rip:(.
    He had some strange sayings had Worzel:)...Anyone else see this clip?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I remember it too. I didn't like it though... I thought he was creepy :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wurzel also played Doctor Who at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

forgot all about that brilliant!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Ah yes, I remember it. There was Aunt Sally and the Scarecrow Maker If I recall correctly.

The other bloke was called the Crowman..he was Worzel's creator and played by TV's Catweazel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

woodchuck wrote: »
    I remember it too. I didn't like it though... I thought he was creepy :/

About every 4 or 5 months someone somewhere on boards.ie mentions worzel gummidge. That was a traumatic show for a kid to see. A scarecrow who kept a hayshed full of spare heads and twisted his own head off from time to time. There is a Rob Zombie remake in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I saw the dvd boxset of this series in golden discs last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

thejuggler wrote: »
    I saw the dvd boxset of this series in golden discs last weekend.

I am so getting that!!!

Loved that show:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It scared the bejaysus out of me.:eek:

"A cup o'tea and a slice o' cake,Aunt Sally...."

She was as scary as him!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Morlar wrote: »
    About every 4 or 5 months someone somewhere on boards.ie mentions worzel gummidge. That was a traumatic show for a kid to see. A scarecrow who kept a hayshed full of spare heads and twisted his own head off from time to time. There is a Rob Zombie remake in there somewhere.

I must have repressed that :P I know he used to scare me, but I couldn't remember why!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Remember this well.Was it the opening or closing sequence that showed him walking through a field and getting up on his scarecrow platform before falling over?

Viz did a spoof of it,it's in the Big Hard One collection of early Viz strips where Wurzel and Aunt Sally go for a picnic and he gets hammered on whiskey.He chases after her saying "Comee you here now Aunty Sal,you've bin gettin me good n randy and Aye thinks Ayes gonna shag E"

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

Wurzel was class!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Depressed the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not a lot of people know that a fifth season of Worzel Gummidge was due to be produced in Ireland in 1983, but fell through. The series eventually picked up in New Zealand in 1987 (Worzel Gummidge Down Under).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I remember Worzel Gummidge alright and remember watching his almost every episode.
    Now, looking at the google images, I'm not entirely sure why or what I saw tbh. Might just buy one boxset and see what the story is / remember what the story actually was :confused:

Murph_D wrote: »
    Not a lot of people know that a fifth season of Worzel Gummidge was due to be produced in Ireland in 1983, but fell through. The series eventually picked up in New Zealand in 1987 (Worzel Gummidge Down Under).
    Most likely, the main reason why Worzel Gummidge was cancelled was because the ITV region that produced it (Southern Television) lost its licence to TVS in 1981. The later series in New Zealand was produced for Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Karsini wrote: »
    Most likely, the main reason why Worzel Gummidge was cancelled was because the ITV region that produced it (Southern Television) lost its licence to TVS in 1981. The later series in New Zealand was produced for Channel 4.

There was a fifth series planned for Channel 4, funded by HTV. It was to be set and produced in Ireland in late 1983, and fell through at the very last minute for reasons other than funding. The screenwriters eventually published a book, "The Irish Adventures of Worzel Gummidge", which I presume was based on the Irish teleplays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Murph_D wrote: »

Yes, and the effects for Down Under were by a young guy who'd taken the job to work with Jon Pertwee, being a Dr. Who fan.
    The fan's name - Peter Jackson...

The Irish Adventures, I think was the same deal that the Irish RM had with C4 and an Irish production company, Little Bird...

• Advertisement

Look what I picked up today in a charity shop for five Euros.

10553583_663312807132320_5272896646621491670_n.jpg?oh=c298602c409a45ea702ede8562cacc34&oe=56053F28

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The series I ordered arrived and I'm still gobsmacked as to the time I devoted to this when younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Every afternoon after school!

Viz did this spoof of Worzel which needless to add is a bit on the rude side :).

11377216_664825910314343_8497098559032456548_n.jpg?oh=a31e055d7f2cc2fb3df476174bc67232&oe=55F9663C&__gda__=1443170741_31bf6aac311f69c1dcdbb8b05cb3812c

The full first episode is up on YT though for some reason theres this annoying glare in the middle of the screen all the way through which really detracts from it.The bit where he comes to life for the first time at 10.00 is really eerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The glare and 'smoke patches' are used to defeat YouTube's automated take down system, as far as I can tell.

I always confused Gummidge with Catweazle, same vibe about them. Similar actors too.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Amalgam wrote: »
    The glare and 'smoke patches' are used to defeat YouTube's automated take down system, as far as I can tell.

I always confused Gummidge with Catweazle, same vibe about them. Similar actors too.

The Crowman in Worzel Gummidge was played by the same actor who did Catweazle.

Forgot to mention I picked up this too.Indeed Geoffrey Bayldon was in both programmes.

11390175_668284613301806_2025539616611095776_n.jpg?oh=fe5f5d77c372fa311bb2056a0050fa25&oe=55EE1908

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Looking back, it was very creepy. A bit like Jimmy Saville...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think Red Dwarf did a skit on Worzel, the cyborg Kryten also kept a load of spare heads on shelves in a closet.

Advertisement