Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Cup Night - Meydan

• 28-03-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

A lot of people criticize this meeting but even not having bet its great to watch horses from the four corners of the earth competing for the richest races in the world. Japanese, Saouth African, British, Irish, French, American, Australian, Hong Kong... its the most international card in the calendar.

I'd love to write out a preview but I just don't have the time.

I do like Barbican in the Gold Cup and Monterosso in the World Cup and Sole Power in the Al Quoz. They might be my only (minimal) financial interest.

So You Think ridden by Joseph and from stall 4. All eyes will be fixed on those two I imagine...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I'm really looking forward to the Dubai Sheema Classic, St Nicholas Abbey taking on Cirrus Des Aigles, with Treasure Beach probably being used to give St Nick a lead to the line. IMO Cirrus Des Aigles is over-rated, his win in the Champion Stakes at Ascot was one of the most over-rated performances I have ever seen. I don't think he deserved to be the third top rated horse in the world last year.

If he was as good as they rated him, he'd take on So You Think and co over his proper trip of 10f instead of going for this 12f.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

I think treasure beach was sold
    50 percent of him is owned by fame and glorys owners I think it is
    So doubt he's just a pacemaker

newuser89 wrote: »
    I think treasure beach was sold
    50 percent of him is owned by fame and glorys owners I think it is
    So doubt he's just a pacemaker
    Cape Blanco was in the same ownership last year and was used as a pacemaker for Canford Cliffs in the Queen Anne Stakes at Ascot. It caused a lot of consternation at the time, people were up in Arms about running a Derby winner as a pacemaker. It did him no harm as he went on to win three GP1s in North America afterwards.

Treasure Beach seemed to be used as pacemaker for Seville in the Grand Prix De Paris and definitely was for So You Think and St Nicholas Abbey in the Arc. William Haggis has the unbeaten Beaten Up in the race, an interesting horse but I reckon he'll be beaten up by these superstars.

They only bought a share in treasure beach in the last few weeks
    That's why I taught he wouldn't be pacemaker
    Why buy a horse to be a pacemaker in one of the biggest races in the world when he is capable of competing

newuser89 wrote: »
    They only bought a share in treasure beach in the last few weeks
    That's why I taught he wouldn't be pacemaker
    Why buy a horse to be a pacemaker in one of the biggest races in the world when he is capable of competing
    They've a strange arrangement with Coolmore, it's a partnership. Treasure Beach on a good day is capable of winning this on his own, he's a very good horse but Coolmore have team tactics and if they think that St Nick is their number one horse in the race, they'll use Treasure Beach to set the race up for him.

It's just my opinion, like everyone else I get it wrong most of the time.

• Advertisement

Just like myself hah
    I don't like pacemakers at all
    Just let the race be run with all horses going for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

As far as I know Fitri Hay is a new partner at coolmore.They the Hays [from Scotland]have made their hugh wealth from designing a cleaner for crude oil.Im quite sure that any condition of entry to this partnership is driven by John Magnier and if Treasure Beach is required not to run on his merits but to run for another horse thats exactly what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

does anyone know if JJ the Jet Plane will run at this?

no particular reason for asking, just really like the name!!

Just read that godolphin fancy opinion poll for the Dubai gold cup
    Over the fav fox hunt,which to me is crazy
    He beat opinion poll fair and square last time and I know there's a extra two furlongs involved but fox hunt will have no problem with that

Apparently dettori said after getting off fox hunt last time when he beat opinion poll
    That next time he wants to be on opinion poll.
    Silvestre de Sousa is in fox hunt now which I'm happier about as he knows the horse well from mark johnstons

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

• Advertisement

I think you can make each race an eight horse race for betting purposes (1 to 8)in big fields.Why did the owners of Maydan spend billions designing this place and yet have a track with such a low bias.I will start with the World Cup and my two in the field are the filly Royal Delta and Eishin Flash.RD won two group 1s in 2011 and will stay every inch as will EF who comes from Japan and he won a very hot Jap derby,both are fast finishers.Will the course suit So You Think as he is a monster and loves big courses. The Sheema Classic is some race and a case can be made for most of them.The two i like are St Nicholas Abbey and Beaten Up.I dont think Treasure Beach will like the firm going and could be a pace maker.St Nic needed the run before when he had time off but is the highest rated. Cirris Des Aigles has beaten So You Think in the past but again I think this gelding prefers softer ground.Beaten Up has improved 21 lbs from his last run so is improving big time and will love the ground.I have never backed with my heart but I have backed Daddy Long Legs as I won a few bob on him last year,(oh why did he not go into the stalls first time out at Leo at 16/1.)

Ladjacket wrote: »
    does anyone know if JJ the Jet Plane will run at this?

no particular reason for asking, just really like the name!!
    Has not run since Maydan last year where he beat Wat Artist.As an 8yr old he is more than likely enjoying the fresh air in South Africa.No ladies im afraid as the crown jewels are long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Opinion Poll & So You Think is 14.75, probably my only bet of the whole thing.

Come on NH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just had a brief look at the card there, I fancy Planteur with Ryan Moore on board to run a big race in the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Delighted for Ballydoyle getting a winner and delighted for Daddy Long Legs. I love that horse, he's some game and genuine. Showed a great attitude today keeping on really well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Check out the replays here, they're up really quick
    http://emiratesracing.com/media-centre/videos

RIP Fox Hunt. Not sure about Western Arristocrat in the first. He broke down too. A shame

What happened the 2:45?

Did a Daddylonglegs, So You Think, St Nicholas Abbey treble earlier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

trying to get the meetings results whats up at maydown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

the Await/Nick/SYT treble pays 90/1.. has to be worht a min bet just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

St.Nick would piss the ascot gold cup, Out and out stayer

Ah bollox to that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm thinking So you Think has to be a lay at 6/4. He's found one too good a few times too many for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Zazou for the big one (just to oppose So You Think!)

Advertisement