Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Fittle wrote: »
    Gotta be the best thread on boards - can't believe I have FINALLY figured out how to multi-quote!!! Thank you so much!

Come back soon...we're also available for bar mitzvah's 21sts and retirement parties...please feel free to leave a donation...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

DeVore wrote: »
    Rubecula, when you ring the, up tell the, you are going to end your account prematurely and move to another provider because the quality of broadband is so poor as to make them be in breach of contract for service. If they give you any grief, tell them you will report it to OFCOM. If they offer to help, have the, check your line there and then and explain why it's so poor. If they can't fix it in a week or two, tell them you consider the contract unfulfilled and thus null and void and make sure they concur so that they agree to not charge you any more and not report you for bad credit.
    This is legit, you are fully entitled not to be bound by a contract which is not fulfilling its end of the bargain.

Btw, those satellite connections are fine for browsing and mail etc, but not great for fast interactive games machines like XBOX or PS3 when playing multiplayer online.

DeV.
    Good Thread along similar lines to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

DeVore wrote: »
    Rubecula, when you ring the, up tell the, you are going to end your account prematurely and move to another provider because the quality of broadband is so poor as to make them be in breach of contract for service. If they give you any grief, tell them you will report it to OFCOM. If they offer to help, have the, check your line there and then and explain why it's so poor. If they can't fix it in a week or two, tell them you consider the contract unfulfilled and thus null and void and make sure they concur so that they agree to not charge you any more and not report you for bad credit.
    This is legit, you are fully entitled not to be bound by a contract which is not fulfilling its end of the bargain.

Btw, those satellite connections are fine for browsing and mail etc, but not great for fast interactive games machines like XBOX or PS3 when playing multiplayer online.

DeV.

Many many thanks for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

CWone wrote: »
    Great thread
    Fittle wrote: »
    Gotta be the best thread on boards - can't believe I have FINALLY figured out how to multi-quote!!! Thank you so much!

I agree. Glad I popped over for a while. lots of info here. Some of it over my head though. I am an oul fella mind..:D A lot of stuff is so carefully explained but i still can't grasp it.

Can we start a thread about basic facebook soon?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Godsentme wrote: »
    Can we start a thread about basic facebook soon?:o
    By the time you've grasped the basics of Facebork they'll have changed the format again. :D

I've found the best way to handle it is to never accept 'friend' requests from anyone you've not had dinner with or met at least 6 times.

Never 'Like' things just because people are in a competation and "might win!"
    Never 'Like' pages that you actually can't be arsed reading.
    If you 'Like' stuff just for the sake of it you'll just be blitzed with ****e forevermore. There is a deplorable thing happening at the moment with the spewspapers. Friends link to articles but you can't read the article without 'Like'ing the page and allowing that vender access to all your contacts. Feck off I say!

Edit your privicy settings to make everything innaccessable except to your 'Friends'. Don't be afraid to delete people who spam you with crap.

Do periodic culls of 'Friends' - delete the deadwood.

The 'Hide' function is the best tool on Facebork. Use it when people keep asking you to feed their mafia on the farm or stab dragons or whatever the newest craze is.

Set up two accounts. One for family and one for friends. Never cross the posting over both accounts. This means you can get up to shinnanigams that you family won't give you grief over and your friends won't be bored to tears with your ramblings to Great Aunty June.

After all that I actually like Facebork and find it is really useful to keep in touch with people.
    :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Totally agree with your recommendations OG. Especially the privacy and 'like' stuff.

Well except for having two accounts, I had two accounts (accidentally) for a while and I had a terrible job stopping them from merging. Every time I opened I was in the one I didn't want to be in and could not get into the other one. Finally got it sorted. I only barely understand the facebook thing, I cannot figure twitter at all. Grouse grouse, mutter mutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not like an update? Click the top right of the "box", and click "Hide all by (page)". See below for an exacmple:

182192.jpg

Or you can go into the page, and "unlike" it, so you don't get any more updates. See below.

182191.jpg

=-=

The difference between the two is that you may want to "like" a pub, but you don't want to get see all the spam they send you, so you just hide all of their messages. If you suddenly don't like the pub, you can just "unlike" the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

How do I do this :confused:

You cannot paste images directly into a post. Please either attach the image to the post or link to it using tags

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

copy the url address of the image you want to paste,

then click on your reply to post button

above the text box you will see an icon of two mountains and a sun, its 8th from the right, click on it, and a pop up box will appear

paste your copied url into that and carry on as normal:)

Picture_Peak,_Sierra_Nevada,_California.jpg&w=1024&h=768&ei=T73LTtG8A5O7hAff7-SxDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=832&vpy=181&dur=11848&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=115&ty=105&sig=105779889114448726730&page=1&tbnh=130&tbnw=174&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

• Advertisement

:(

looks like you followed the right process but have a defunked url

where are you getting the url from?

Google images.

sometimes links dont show up

if you want though you can paste it as a link for folk to click on

or try another url just so you know you can do it if the url isnt banjaxed

2b012384e8ac0c2549d0f303037541be.jpg&w=2048&h=2048&ei=gcHLTtn9IsWGhQexg6XBDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=370&vpy=278&dur=2567&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=131&ty=119&sig=105779889114448726730&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=137&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0

:mad:

can I ask what site is google images taking you to?

Nearly there Chucken.
    When you open the Img box there is already an 'HTTP://' there. Delete that first and then paste your link in. Your previous post has the HTTP:// bit of the link in twice.

I just googled 'picture' and clicked 'images'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

If you want to upload your own image from your computer you can use image shack

It just takes a second. It will give you a URL for your image and then you can just copy this url in the same way that BBDBB shows above.

2b012384e8ac0c2549d0f303037541be.jpg&w=2048&h=2048&ei=gcHLTtn9IsWGhQexg6XBDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=370&vpy=278&dur=2567&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=131&ty=119&sig=105779889114448726730&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=137&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0

Ahhhhhhhrrggggg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

chucken1 wrote: »
    Google images.

First, pick a picture...

182196.jpg

...and click it (I picked the top left picture). When it goes into the website, right-click the picture and copy the images address, like so;

182197.jpg

If you right click the image from the first image, you'll get the goggblygook that you got, which boards.ie doesn't see as a valid image, and thus won't show it.

IMPORTANT - make sure the picture is small. 1024 * 768 is very big. Try to make sure the biggest size on one side is 800, so it's not gigantic.

If you want to upload your own image from your computer you can use image shack

It just takes a second. It will give you a URL for your image and then you can just copy this url in the same way that BBDBB shows above.

Ta for that but all I want is to throw up a funny picture from google now and again :(

Ye gads I just learned how to multiquote. :o

When I do that I get a page of images. One of them is the Eiffel Tower. Click on that one.
    You get taken to a webpage. At the top of the page there is a link for "Do you want to see the full size of the picture" or words to that effect. Click on that and you get to a nice clean page with just the picture on it.

Highlight the link in the address.
    http://www.visitingdc.com/images/eiffel-tower-picture.jpg

Then put that between the image tags like so...

[noparse]eiffel-tower-picture.jpg[/noparse]

Include that in your comment and it should post the picture of the tower.
    eiffel-tower-picture.jpg

When I right click I have no 'copy image address' on the dropdown thingy.
    So I just 'copy' and paste. Its just not cooperating with me..Im going to make tea..I can do that :D

EDIT.... Oldgoat? Im back to square one..Where or what are image tags?

imagetag.png

Click on the Image Tag button

Then copy the address of the image into the suggestion box that comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

thats an image tag and thats the end of the image tag. Same as for quote
    and

tho' tbh I didn't know they were called tags :p

edit...lol, now look what I did!
    I think I will leave this to the experts, you are doing really well guys, I'm not admitting I didn't know how to do this either...

250px-Nokota_Horses_cropped.jpg

:D My son just told me to stop using Interner explorer. Ive to use Chrome, it seems to work better.
    hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

chucken1 wrote: »
    250px-Nokota_Horses_cropped.jpg

:D My son just told me to stop using Interner explorer. Ive to use Chrome, it seems to work better.
    hmmmmm

Does it, last time I used it on XP it fell over about three times a day

Thats a great image of two horses! Well done.

• Advertisement

Firefox - is a good web browser to use.

Advertisement