Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bay Packers Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The Atlanta game will be a big test alright. I doubt it will be a repeat of the blow-out in the Playoffs.

Anyone know if Ryan Grant will be back playing soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

The Atlanta game will be a big test alright. I doubt it will be a repeat of the blow-out in the Playoffs.

Anyone know if Ryan Grant will be back playing soon?

Should have an idea if Grant will be back from his status report after training today.

Probably more important is the status of Brian Bulaga, Marshall Newhouse gave up two sacks on Rodgers on Sunday against a rookie LB. Falcons are going to be putting a lot more pressure on the OL than the Broncos did and they will be looking at getting easy access through the RT position. Having to add a TE or RB as a blocker there is going to limit our attacking options.

• Great win. Yes, Rodgers was outstanding, but I think all the credit for this one goes to McCarthy and Capers. It was instructive for someone like me to see a team get so...outthought and outcoached. You could almost see it evolve during the game, how they got to grips with the Falcons after the early setbacks and injuries, and how by the end they were just doing what champions do and beating weaker teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Absolutely delighted with that win. For a start I got to see the game, my first since the Saints but, like I said in the match thread, it's a great victory to overcome the adversity of losing players to injury, going down early in a dome against team hellbent on revenge over their play-off loss. As Conor said McCarthy and Capers match adjustments were vital. It's something McCarthy excels at, we tend to start slow and get much better in the 2nd half.

Mind you Cliftons injury exposes what I thought, going into this season, our biggest weak point our strength in depth at the o-line. We can't afford many injuries there. While, as we saw again today, Rodgers is amazing at evading defenders (the completed pass while basically kneeling down was just taking the piss) he can't do it all the time and a team with a good pass rush could really punish us. The Lions in particular come to mind.

Next week, home to the Rams. Things are good in Packerland right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

cooker3 wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted with that win. For a start I got to see the game, my first since the Saints but, like I said in the match thread, it's a great victory to overcome the adversity of losing players to injury, going down early in a dome against team hellbent on revenge over their play-off loss. As Conor said McCarthy and Capers match adjustments were vital. It's something McCarthy excels at, we tend to start slow and get much better in the 2nd half.

Mind you Cliftons injury exposes what I thought, going into this season, our biggest weak point our strength in depth at the o-line. We can't afford many injuries there. While, as we saw again today, Rodgers is amazing at evading defenders (the completed pass while basically kneeling down was just taking the piss) he can't do it all the time and a team with a good pass rush could really punish us. The Lions in particular come to mind.

Next week, home to the Rams. Things are good in Packerland right now.
    For that tackle when I seen it happen i thought yer man managed to block him out of the way for rogers, was amazed that he proper got a hold of rogers and he still hit his reciever on the way down.

TBH we played pretty ****e for the first two quarters, not really the o lines fault as they managed to keep rogers off the park for most of it.

Was going nuts that we couldn't stop them on third down for the first half!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Desperate Dan #76 will be out for longer than expected.

Not too serious now that STL coming next week.

But with Bulaga questionable is it time to slot Sherrod into RT, Bulaga, when healthy into LT and Newhouse the back up.

Or some other combo?

Clifton is a terrific player, but getting on.

Bulaga is set to return against the Rams but it seems McCarthy may use him sparingly alternating him with Newhouse at LT with Sherrod at RT. Looks as if McCarthy is confident enough that the Rams game will be a good chance to give the new guys some much-needed game time on the O line.

Hope Burnett's hand holds up well in the game, we can't afford to lose another Safety.

I'd say the chances are good that Rodgers and his offense might be rewriting a few more records in the Packers stats. book.:D

Rams game should be an easy win for the Pack

Good to see this match getting the old "Acme Packers" strip

Its all about the pantaloons!
    :D

A win ,but not convincing.

Have Green Bay been really convincing at all this season?

it seems like all the components are working, some in 6th gear (QB & Passing game) but some only in 4th gear.

I dont want to seem pessemistic, we are unbeaten after all.
    But things don't quite feel right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

it seems like all the components are working, some in 6th gear (QB & Passing game) but some only in 4th gear.

Lets be honest they didn't quite feel right last season till we had to win, as it stands we've almost matched our regular season wins already, and we only won them when the pressure was on last season, I reckon a loss will motivate the defence into high gear, I just don't want to see them need to get into high gear

They will need to be convincing next week when AP starts rumbling.

They will need to be convincing next week when AP starts rumbling.

Given that Ponder is now the starting QB Petersen is going to be the Vikes offense and you can be sure Capers will have a strategy to have him smothered before he gets into his stride.

Really can't see the anyone losing any sleep over Sunday's game:)

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Given that Ponder is now the starting QB Petersen is going to be the Vikes offense and you can be sure Capers will have a strategy to have him smothered before he gets into his stride.

I would always be a bit concerned about the Vikes.

let's hope you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

First Monday I have off work on the 31st and the Packesr on abye week ugh!! Least Cowboys V Eagles should make for a great game, especially this part of the season, Cowboys approaching must wins for these games!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I'm also off Monday 31st and typical, the Packers are on a bye. Not to worry, they are playing the Bears on Christmas Day, so we will both be able to stay up late and watch them then!

Packers on Sky tonite vs Vikes..... take a look and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Masterclass by Rodgers, 2 ints by Woodson and some good running by Starks to close it out. 7-0 heading into the bye, followed by a lengthy trip to San Diego.

What's not to like?

Always thought that the Vikes game could be a banana skin match-up and they certainly made a game of it.

Think the team is a bit banged up at the moment and the bye week will be most welcome.

Can see the Pack coming out and firing on all cylinders for the second-half of the season. Could we possibly ...;)

Capers must have been in the privvy most of the game:D .AP rumbled for around 180 yds and make no mistake the Packers were glad to get out of Minnie with a win as i always thought the would.

Always thought that the Vikes game could be a banana skin match-up and they certainly made a game of it.

Think the team is a bit banged up at the moment and the bye week will be most welcome.

Can see the Pack coming out and firing on all cylinders for the second-half of the season. Could we possibly ...;)

:rolleyes::D

Did you!!

Packers completion of third downs was poor,and even worse allowed 6 consecutive third downs, some very long from the Vikes, at stages when a stop would have sealed the game practically.

Running game was well held,but got the big one from Starks when needed.

Not being negative, but 7-0 is perfect, there is still a doubt there, can't really put a finger on exactly what yet though.

• Advertisement

Capers must have been in the privvy most of the game:D .AP rumbled for around 180 yds and make no mistake the Packers were glad to get out of Minnie with a win as i always thought the would.

:rolleyes::D

Did you!!

Packers completion of third downs was poor,and even worse allowed 6 consecutive third downs, some very long from the Vikes, at stages when a stop would have sealed the game practically.

Running game was well held,but got the big one from Starks when needed.

Not being negative, but 7-0 is perfect, there is still a doubt there, can't really put a finger on exactly what yet though.

I think all Divisional games have the potential to be unpredictable but I always believed we should win.:D:o

Was getting worried in the first-half about turn-overs though. Was also surprised at how composed and confident Ponder was, he looks like he could lead the Vikes to a better future.

The Vikes O-line were excellent at giving Petersen the time to pick his holes, who is a truly sensational runner once in motion.

Our defense is unevenly balanced having only one genuine pass-rusher, especially since losing Cullen Jenkins. Hopefully if Mike Neal can get fit he can take that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

You have to give the rookie Ponders credit he made some great throws when needed to get them 3rd downs and fair play to McNabb for mannng up and giving sideline advice.

We have struggled with the running game for the past few years its not something new, we just need to out-score our opponents (duh!!). Pur running game is starting to tick over now, Stark is getting more and more yards as the games progress, Rodgers coudl well use this for some clever audibles or no huddles.

Cobb had a mixed bag; silly drop but great 42yard punt return.

With under the radar performer this year and a huge game last night, mucho kudos to Crosby for the franchise record and nwo has 14/14FG this season! Helps keeps the points ticking over when we are stopped. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Always sweet to beat the Vikings in the dome. I absolutely hate Jared Allen and that celebrationLike others have said, good without beIng spectacular. I remain worried by our. Defence, not enough of a pass rush although Charles introduced Ponder to the NFL.

I have to say Mason Crosby has been a revelation this season. I've been critical of him and frankly would have happily replaced him but making me a believer now.

• Nice touch by Woodson, giving the ball to the girl.

Lad pmd me to say he would be in Dublin this weekend Nov 06.

Wanted to know of a loc where he could watch the Packer- SD game which seems to be on Sky2 live.

Won't be in Ireland myself and don't, apart from possibly the Woolshed, know of venues which show American football on a regular basis.

If anyone knows of a place can you post the suggestion, or pm me and I will pass it on.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Lad pmd me to say he would be in Dublin this weekend Nov 06.

Wanted to know of a loc where he could watch the Packer- SD game which seems to be on Sky2 live.

Won't be in Ireland myself and don't, apart from possibly the Woolshed, know of venues which show American football on a regular basis.

If anyone knows of a place can you post the suggestion, or pm me and I will pass it on.

Thanks.

The Living Room just off O'Connell Street will be showing the game also.

http://www.thelivingroomdublin.com/

I'd recommend the Woolshed though myself.

Great to see the Packers - Chargers game has been selected by Sky Sports for full coverage, especially with the televised Lions game coming up soon.

Maybe they are going to keep choosing the Pack to see how long they can remain unbeaten.

Hopefully that means we will be seeing a lot more games then;)

Great to see the Packers - Chargers game has been selected by Sky Sports for full coverage, especially with the televised Lions game coming up soon.

Maybe they are going to keep choosing the Pack to see how long they can remain unbeaten.

Hopefully that means we will be seeing a lot more games then;)

Superbowl champs always get good coverage next season.

Exciting team to watch, top QB, receivers, D... who else would you rather watch:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I see Aaron Rodgers has won his third straight "Offensive Player of the Month" award. If he keeps up this form through November he'll have the MVP won by a distance.

Regarding this weeks' game, if Rivers (11 int) throws it up for grabs there will be several willing and grateful recipients in the Packers' secondary. :)

• Advertisement

This is definitely the Packers biggest game of the season so far and will give a clear indication of just how realistic a second Superbowl win is.

Our defense has been very iffy - ranking a miserable 31st against the pass. This week they face a quality pass offense and if Rivers and the Chargers get hot they could have a field day picking off big plays against the secondary.

The Packers defense really has to draw a line in the sand this week and show that it can recapture its play-off form from last season. Hopefully after the bye weeks rest we will finally see a fully-fit and reinvigorated Woodson, Williams and Shields all back at their best.

Otherwise this could be one QB shoot-out too many that Rodgers can keep pace with.

Advertisement