Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Chain should last the life of those engines. Nice cars.
    Powersteering pumps were shortlived on the early MINIs. Her's has been fine since we got it bought the car so maybe there was a change to the design of the replacement parts. Don't know if there are any warning signs or symptoms of a pump about to pack it in. On the best of days the electro-hydraulic system they use sounds like a cranky cat, so don't be put off by that sort of sound.

The Cooper S has a different gearbox to the standard Coopers and Ones. It shouldn't give the same issues that the standard cooper and one gearboxes had for the first few years of manufacture.

Window motors (especially the passenger one) might be suspect at this stage. Airbag connectors under the seat aren't great in some production runs - you'll live with it I suppose if the car is what you want otherwise.

Auxiliary belt (fan belt) drives the supercharger - there's a good chance belt or tensioner or both could need doing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 s_dev

Thanks sound advice

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Cheers lads, I'd had a look for some old threads here and over on miniclub so knew there was a few things to look out for such as the fuel pump, steering column, Body Control Module and the airbag connectors etc

RE: The Supercharger belt, were it to come to light that it needed to be replaced what kind of price range would you estimate it at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Frisbee wrote: »
    RE: The Supercharger belt, were it to come to light that it needed to be replaced what kind of price range would you estimate it at?
    Dunno - Can't recall how much it was to get tensioner + belt for her non supercharged cooper. Supercharged version has a different tensioner and possibly even tighter space to work in so maybe some dismantling to get belt out and in?

Had a look about online and it doesn't seem to be extortionate if it does become an issue.

Now (last one I swear and cheers for the patience) one final question. More on car buying etiquette than anything. I'm buying this from a relatively small dealership. The guy was completely up front regarding one or two issues the car has and offered them to me without me asking and let me know fixing them will be included in the price.

If I were to ask could I bring a mechanic along to have a look at it before I took the plunge would they be offended? I know it's perfectly fine and strongly recommended if buying privately, but is it ok if buying from a dealership?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Frisbee wrote: »
    Had a look about online and it doesn't seem to be extortionate if it does become an issue.

Now (last one I swear and cheers for the patience) one final question. More on car buying etiquette than anything. I'm buying this from a relatively small dealership. The guy was completely up front regarding one or two issues the car has and offered them to me without me asking and let me know fixing them will be included in the price.

If I were to ask could I bring a mechanic along to have a look at it before I took the plunge would they be offended? I know it's perfectly fine and strongly recommended if buying privately, but is it ok if buying from a dealership?

Better safe than sorry imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If he's a mechanic himself he might get snotty, but if the car is fine he shouldn't have to.

The dealership is attached to a mechanics shop under the same name so there is a mechanic who works there which was what was making me think they might not take too kindly to me asking could I bring my own along.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

You can but ask. They may get snotty, obviously particularly if they have something to hide. But the end of the day business is business and you aren't there to make friends.

Saying that, you don't want to upset them too much or it may affect the purchasing process should you choose to proceed.

Could be could be could be.

Just ring and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Currently looking at upgrading car.
    One Mondeo Titanium I was looking at is on sale in a dealership and privately at the same time. I thought the Private advert might have just been left up after trading to the garage but it says it was updated 5 days ago. It is definitely at the garage. Anyone know what that is about? Do dealerships take cars on a trial to try and sell them?

Dealership:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mo...t?channel=CARS

Private:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mo...t?channel=CARS

Did a vehicle check also and it says the car has had 1 owner. However both adverts say is has had 2 owners, little odd?
    So, €950 for some level of warranty from the dealer. Compare this with mapfire - you might get a more comprehensive warranty for less.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Just a quick question.
    Is paying by Credit Union check for a private sale acceptable/normal. The cost of the car is enough I don't want to carry cash, and I figure a CU cheque is ok, as its for money I actually have.
    Anyone have an opinion on this?

I've never seen a credit union cheque but best bet is to meet them where ever they want to lodge it.

Saves hassle for both parties.

What are you buying?

Cheers.

I'd rather not say....its not 100% sealed and I don't want to do ANYTHING to jinx it. I know, wierd!:-P
    But it will be getting picture space here, and I'll say its a car I've wanted for a veeery long time.

Cheers.

I'd rather not say....its not 100% sealed and I don't want to do ANYTHING to jinx it. I know, wierd!:-P
    But it will be getting picture space here, and I'll say its a car I've wanted for a veeery long time.

:confused::confused::confused:

Hardly gonna start a bidding war on the thing :D

oj good luck good luck with it

SRFC wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused
    Hardly gonna start a bidding war on the thing :D
    oj good luck good luck with it

Ha, cheers. Like I said, wierd I know, but thats just me. Superstion maybe:-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Ha, cheers. Like I said, wierd I know, but thats just me. Superstion maybe:-P
    After all this hullabaloo you better post a pic on here when you get it!

After all this hullabaloo you better post a pic on here when you get it!

That I can pretty much damn well guarantee!:-P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Paranoid. There are plenty cars for sale, it just takes longer for some to sell over others.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Paranoid. There are plenty cars for sale, it just takes longer for some to sell over others.

+1

Just focus on the car itself (you can get down to the micro later), and work thru the checks recommended here........you'll be grand......enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Right, I'm viewing this (stunning, imo) 316i this evening... What should I be asking about and what should I be on the look out for. Thoughts on the price, and room for haggling?

I've been doing nothing but researching cars for the past 2 weeks, brain is starting to fuzz a little.

Edit to say: I've performed check on motorcheck.ie and everything checks out with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 bblueblood

Hi, I bought a van last week off a private seller on DoneDeal, I checked the car visually myself and took for a test drive everything seemed fine, I asked the seller if the car was driving ok and if the body was ok and he said everything was 100% and he recently had this and thad done, the only reason he was selling was his insurance was too high (van is only a 2 Litre) so we agreed a price and I drove off home, next day I started having trouble getting into gear and strange noise coming from under the bonnet so I brought the van to my mechanic who informed me the van was unroadworthy and dangerous as the rust was so bad underneath the rear wheel was off centre and the chassis was rotten away and couldnt be repaired because rust so bad, do I have a case against seller as i think he knew this when selling the van as the tyres wouldnt last long and would be wearing unevenly- I got this off irishstatuebook.ie--

(2) Without prejudice to any other condition or warranty, in every contract for the sale of a motor vehicle (except a contract in which the buyer is a person whose business it is to deal in motor vehicles) there is an implied condition that at the time of delivery of the vehicle under the contract it is free from any defect which would render it a danger to the public, including persons travelling in the vehicle.

Probably one for your solicitor but honestly depending on how much you spent it might easier take it on the chin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Probably one for your solicitor but honestly depending on how much you spent it might easier take it on the chin .

Perhaps he can use the cheap small claims court ?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Hi folks

I'm going to Dublin to see an Audi A4 avant tomorrow, its the 2002 1.8T quattro version. 105,000 miles but no service history. Asking €4500 for it. Standard interior, no leather, sunroof or anything fancy.

Couple of things about it though....

Its a UK import that was a Cat D write off due to an engine fire. It was purchased by an Indi garage in the UK who replaced the engine and sold it to its current Irish owner in 2011. He got a full AA inspection done on the car before he bought it which he will be showing me when I inspect the car.

I ran my own motorcheck report on it too which showed this and also that the car was stolen/recovered previously in the UK. Nothing else odd apart from this. Cam belt done and fully serviced too.

Mileage is my main concern (the replacement engine mileage specifically) but I'll play that by ear and see what state the car is in and what his report says. The mileage on the actual car and on HPI/Motorcheck all match up fine.

So any advice or opinions? Is there anything specifically I should look out for with these cars? What sort of money should I be expecting to pay given its history? €3500??

Hi folks

I'm going to Dublin to see an Audi A4 avant tomorrow, its the 2002 1.8T quattro version. 105,000 miles but no service history. Asking €4500 for it. Standard interior, no leather, sunroof or anything fancy.

Couple of things about it though....

Its a UK import that was a Cat D write off due to an engine fire. It was purchased by an Indi garage in the UK who replaced the engine and sold it to its current Irish owner in 2011. He got a full AA inspection done on the car before he bought it which he will be showing me when I inspect the car.

I ran my own motorcheck report on it too which showed this and also that the car was stolen/recovered previously in the UK. Nothing else odd apart from this. Cam belt done and fully serviced too.

Mileage is my main concern (the replacement engine mileage specifically) but I'll play that by ear and see what state the car is in and what his report says. The mileage on the actual car and on HPI/Motorcheck all match up fine.

So any advice or opinions? Is there anything specifically I should look out for with these cars? What sort of money should I be expecting to pay given its history? €3500??

Dont know much about the cars but I personally wouldnt pay anything like 4 of 4500 for a 11 year old petrol car with that history and no extras of note mileage isnt mad high but me personally wouldnt be handing over anything about 3 and a half and thats if its clean good luck with it.

Sounds like big money for a petrol bog go, UK crashed stolen repaired, mileage unknown 11 year old A4 estate.

Go see the car, if it was in impeccable condition and there was proof of the mileage/timing belt etc. Then maybe mid to late 3 grand.

If its not spotlessly clean I would just walk away as your not going to get it for the sub 3 grand its worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 delexical

Hi,

I'm getting lost in research for a first purchase. Have been driving the family Peugeot 407, a chunky enough diesel, for a good while, feel it's slightly too heavy for west coast bothríns though, or maybe it's suspension is just starting to give a bit.

In any case I was looking at 206 / 307 hatchbacks but don't see much love for them on the forum. I was also looking at Ford Focuses which seem to be regularly recommended. Absolute ceiling of budget is €5k. I'd probably be getting 350 km a week out of it, but money is tight so MPG/Tax might be factors for me. Was on verge of calling up to see this one but thought I'd ask for an opinion here first. NCTed to 2015 was attractive:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4434116

Any thoughts on price or pitfalls beyond the standard checklist?

Advertisement