Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Sorry ye thats what I meant, on his way to New England for talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TimThomas

eagle eye wrote: »
    Problem now is these deals that the Redskins have given to average WRs and the Megatron deal just up the ante on what Lloyd can be expecting and Welker too.

What do you do now? Give up on making improvements to the D and sign offensive weapons or hold on to Welker which is going to cost more than was expected and then lower your ambitions regarding a deep threat. I dunno how this will go now as the cap is going to be a big factor if you sign both Welker and Lloyd.

Lloyd is dead to us now. No way Bill is going to spend big money on him as Lloyd knows he will get it elsewhere. And as you said we still have to sort out Welker also.

Law Firm visiting Bengals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

TimThomas wrote: »
    Law Firm visiting Bengals.

I wouldnt be too worried about Law Firm. The Bengals have had about 3 ro 4 RBs in for a looksee already.

I'm glad that Pats are being very quiet in the FA madness, especially since Eddie Royal is getting $6m a year. I cant fanthom what Llyod would want now? The 31yr old will be expecting at least $8m a year......not worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jonathon Fanene is apparently on the Patriots radar at the moment.

• Advertisement

For Pats fans who may be freaking out at the moment...consider this, 24 of 32 teams have not signed a FA that was not on their team previously.

Also the majority of the 8 teams that have signed FAs have not been contenders for years.

Jonathon Fanene signs a 3 year deal apparently good signing.

Jonathon Fanene signs a 3 year deal apparently good signing.

6.5 sacks last season, 6 in 2009 as a backup (2010 injured).

Very versitile player, can play inside and outside on the DL, good against the run, better against the pass...good signing (as long as they didnt over pay)

Danny Amendola visting the Pats...this is confusing.

Are they planning to sign him and trade Welker? I dont see how we could fit 2 slot receivers into our offense especially since we have two excellent receivers at TE. But that doesnt even make sense as we'd have to give up a 2nd to get him and i'd say we'd struggle to get a 1st for Welker.

I presume this is just leverage they are using in Welker's contract negotiations.

Amendola can play in any of the WR positions, could be a replacement for Branch too. I don't think its got anything to do with Welker.

• Advertisement

Amendola can play in any of the WR positions, could be a replacement for Branch too. I don't think its got anything to do with Welker.

So can Welker but they are both best suited out of slot thats where the Rams played him as did Texas Tech. He is 5'11 Amendola and playing out wide is just the same as playing Welker out wide.

So can Welker but they are both best suited out of slot thats where the Rams played him as did Texas Tech. He is 5'11 Amendola and playing out wide is just the same as playing Welker out wide.
    Deion Branch is only 5'9" too and it didn't affect him playing flanker or split end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Would love Amendola tbh. Cracking little player, although we'd still need someone to stretch the field.

Also, having seen the ridiculous contracts given to receivers without an ounce of his talent, Welker is gonna wanna get paid big time. His price went up the last few days.

Deion Branch is only 5'9" too and it didn't affect him playing flanker or split end.

No it didn't but im not talking about Branch. Branch in his day was a baller cracking hands and a solid leap and long reach even for his size. Never the fastest guy out there but his route running and hands made up for it. Branch today is shades of the guy he used to be and without the height and lack of speed the modern game doesnt suit him.

Amendola on the other hand granted is fast as fook but he is hardly the answer of spreading out the field for us. Branch was brought in when Bill wanted someone Brady could trust when we struggled to find a guy to throw to. Whatever about opening up the flats and the middle of the field with guys like Welker and Amendola they dont solve the deep routes. And if we pull the trigger on Amendola and dont get ourselves a deep guy we will have 2 TE and 2 WR all doing the same thing thing opening up short routes and across the middle.

Now granted put in a deep threat and it could all work but the market for WR is getting zapped with nonsense contracts and I dont see us pulling the trigger on someone who will open up the field long for us.

Could you imagine a team with Welker and Amendola drawing your coverage shallow and Gronk bursting the seam in the middle of the field with an Outside guy being honoured for once. the mismatches would be crazy. But it hinges on that outside guy.

No it didn't but im not talking about Branch. Branch in his day was a baller cracking hands and a solid leap and long reach even for his size. Never the fastest guy out there but his route running and hands made up for it. Branch today is shades of the guy he used to be and without the height and lack of speed the modern game doesnt suit him.

Amendola on the other hand granted is fast as fook but he is hardly the answer of spreading out the field for us. Branch was brought in when Bill wanted someone Brady could trust when we struggled to find a guy to throw to. Whatever about opening up the flats and the middle of the field with guys like Welker and Amendola they dont solve the deep routes. And if we pull the trigger on Amendola and dont get ourselves a deep guy we will have 2 TE and 2 WR all doing the same thing thing opening up short routes and across the middle.

Now granted put in a deep threat and it could all work but the market for WR is getting zapped with nonsense contracts and I dont see us pulling the trigger on someone who will open up the field long for us.

Could you imagine a team with Welker and Amendola drawing your coverage shallow and Gronk bursting the seam in the middle of the field with an Outside guy being honoured for once. the mismatches would be crazy. But it hinges on that outside guy.
    I totally agree we need a deep threat. All I'm saying is that I think Amendola is being looked at as a replacement for Branch. Theres no way imo that its got anything to do with Welker.

Steven Gregory the latest signing. Didn't stand out to me when he was a Charger but hopefully he works out great for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

He dosnt stand out but he is solid enough player.

Great news now, Dan Connolly has signed up for a new contract. I don't know the details but I'm delighted with this. He did very well at center last season and its great to have him back.

Lloyd close to signing with Pats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Lloyd close to signing with Pats.

Laron Landry is visiting this weekend too and the same article says we're confident of landing him aswell. Would be a nice addition, a bit injury prone but hopefully he can put it behind him. Looks like he's spent a lot of time in the weights room this offseason!

landrygiant0212.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Laron Landry is visiting this weekend too and the same article says we're confident of landing him aswell. Would be a nice addition, a bit injury prone but hopefully he can put it behind him. Looks like he's spent a lot of time in the weights room this offseason!

landrygiant0212.jpg

What a disaster of an athlete. Why in gods name you'd want your biceps to be that large playing in such a vital position such as safety is beyond me.

Stev_o wrote: »
    What a disaster of an athlete. Why in gods name you'd want your biceps to be that large playing in such a vital position such as safety is beyond me.

He is a strong safety. If he was a free safety I could see your point as you would want him being more of a ball hawk but strong safeties need to be a mix of both strong and agile.

ProFootballTalk ‏ @ProFootballTalk Patriots want Brandon Lloyd to lower his asking price

The fact Lloyd is struggling to find someone to pay him and he has already said he would join us you think he would just sign work his ass off and put himself in a position to actually demand more later on.

Seems Condon and the Pats are hitting logger heads again. Wonder if the Pats are trying to make Condon quit again :D
    Lloyd contract struggle dusts off Condon vs. Pats feud

Id say Lloyd is a no go now:
    New England Patriots announced the signing of unrestricted free agent wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez today.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Patriots reached a one-year agreement with former Raiders pass rusher Trevor Scott.

Interesting

He is a strong safety. If he was a free safety I could see your point as you would want him being more of a ball hawk but strong safeties need to be a mix of both strong and agile.
    Still wouldn't want them that big, hell I don't think you'd want a linebacker that big.

Id say Lloyd is a no go now:
    Gonzalez has never been a stretch the field type I don't think. To me anyways Gonzalez seems like a low risk, high reward type of signing and I'd imagine on the vet minimum. TC fodder is how I'd look at that signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Patriots sign Lloyd according to Adam Schefter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Patriots sign Lloyd according to Adam Schefter on Twitter...
    https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/181173336699711488

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement