Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Overrated film?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

American History X was as cheesy and cliched as you can get. And talk about unrealistic, despite the brutal nature of the murder Norton commited he seemed to (judging by his brothers age when he went in/came out) got out of prison within about three years. Utter sh1te.

Cloverfield was lauded by some (not all) critics. Awful, brainless film with a script that must have ran to all of three pages.

No Country for Old Men was average, the murder rate just became laughable halfway through tbh.

Back in the day I saw Pulp Fiction maybe 6 times. It was repeated lately and I didnt bother with more than 40 mins. Great in its day, but maybe it just hasnt aged well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I thought Requiem for a Dream was terribly over rated.I saw it for the first time about a month ago.Pretty boring IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Gone With the Wind. 4 Hours you can never get back. Frankly my dear, so what...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Alarums wrote: »
    I always thought 2001 was boring crap.

+1 , i would add almost any kubrick to that although unlike most people , i liked AI , i think the shinning is over rated and not all that scary to be honest

ive always thought blade runner was over rated , left me cold , then again , maybe that was the idea

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I cannot believe that Crash (2004) has only been mentioned once up to this point.

It won a host of Oscars, it scores 8.1/10 on IMDB (191st best film of all time), hacks loved it.

When I saw it I wondered whether everyone else had been given a lobotomy going in the door. It was the most trite, preaching, piece of eye-melting brain-contamination I'd ever encountered.

It's basic "message" is "Everyone's racist but it doesn't make you a bad person". I got that in the first half hour. Every 5 minutes after that it was like being hit in the face with a shovel with the same message in a bludgeoning "did you get that?" kind of way.

And then there's the painful string of unbelievable coincidences that's masquerading as a plot.

It was like being condescended to by primary school child. And the fact that everyone else was believing the BS that it was "important" and "worthy" was what tipped it over the edge for me.

Most Overrated Film Of All Time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Cant agree with you on Crash. Very good movie.
    May have been over hyped a bit alright but still a good flick.
    The film was trying to show all the different ways people are racist. Not just the one message of racism repeated.
    The coincidences where not meant to be taken as fully believable. It was just a method of story telling to intertwine the various stories. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd say almost every film that won the best picture Oscar is overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

shane86 wrote: »
    American History X was as cheesy and cliched as you can get. And talk about unrealistic, despite the brutal nature of the murder Norton commited he seemed to (judging by his brothers age when he went in/came out) got out of prison within about three years. Utter sh1te

I liked that film but yes that aspect of it was ridiculous-the guy who stole a TV was in jail longer that the neo-nazi murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Donnie Gordon Sticky Mandrill is terribly overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Old Country for Old Men---Was very good upto the end..sure it's supposed to be artistic..but damnit cohen brothers..I wanted my shoot em up ending. I felt like I was robbed afterwards.

Apocolypse Now- Christ that was boring as fcuk. Definitely most over-rated film.
    Platoon/FMJ are miles better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

Shawshank Redemption - bored me enough that my ass got numb :o

One Who Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - fast forward is the button I should have pressed!!

The Departed - didn't like the ending and I found Nicholson irritating. Also, it has Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg. Usually I go through a whole film of theirs usually thinking it's the other one!

Citizen Kane - Where do I start?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

Walk The Line, I liked Johnny Cash, but after seeing that I think I hate him. The guy was a bible-bashing hypocritical dickhead, and I don't care much about them. The movie was so slow and nothing happened. It sucked big floppy horse-nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

godfather has to be the worse over rated film ever. Fair enough if your young its cool to say you like it. In all fairness its ****e in my opinion. Same with scar face. People love it but anyone ya talk to about it just says say hello to my little friend. Two mediocre films at best in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ben bedlam wrote: »
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Every review Ive ever seen of it speaks of it in glowing terms. There is actually no plot to that mind-numbing, dull, stupid film; its just Johnny Depp and Benecio del Toro meandering through Las Vegas doing drugs for 90 minutes. Complete rubbish.
    Ya might want to watch it again bud. Tis on a little longer than 90 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I cannot believe that Crash (2004) has only been mentioned once up to this point.

It won a host of Oscars, it scores 8.1/10 on IMDB (191st best film of all time), hacks loved it.

When I saw it I wondered whether everyone else had been given a lobotomy going in the door. It was the most trite, preaching, piece of eye-melting brain-contamination I'd ever encountered.

It's basic "message" is "Everyone's racist but it doesn't make you a bad person". I got that in the first half hour. Every 5 minutes after that it was like being hit in the face with a shovel with the same message in a bludgeoning "did you get that?" kind of way.

And then there's the painful string of unbelievable coincidences that's masquerading as a plot.

It was like being condescended to by primary school child. And the fact that everyone else was believing the BS that it was "important" and "worthy" was what tipped it over the edge for me.

Most Overrated Film Of All Time!!!

Totally agree - it was god awful muck with a horrendous script and some eye-bleedingly bad performances

The Oscars it won were Best Picture, Best Writing (Original Writing) and Best Editing. I think people will look back on this as one of the legendary screw-ups by the Oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Blade Runner. Watched it straight after reading the book. What a let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

Dare i say a person who does not care for the godfather has no understanding of the art of movies.but aside from that worst film on a personal basis in last few years was the latest x files effort should have left well enough alone

jane86 wrote: »
    Shawshank Redemption - bored me enough that my ass got numb :o

One Who Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - fast forward is the button I should have pressed!!

The Departed - didn't like the ending and I found Nicholson irritating. Also, it has Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg. Usually I go through a whole film of theirs usually thinking it's the other one!

Citizen Kane - Where do I start?!!
    where do you start...wow ok throw out the westlife collection.stop watching soaps ,and realise the green party is never going to rules the world...then when you join the rest of us in the land called planet earth watch those movies again....if still not getting it ok try zombies flesh eaters from kenmare, might be more in line with your tastes ;)

doubledown wrote: »
    Good idea. You do that.

How can you saw you know more about films that anyone else here?

It's a fact that there are loads of movies that are critically lauded at their time of release but with the benefit of hindsight are clearly overrated. Critics and audiences alike tend to get swept away for a variety of reasons but ultimately they end up being wrong. Of course it's also a matter of individual taste as to whether a movie is good or not, but that's not what's being discussed here.
    take that fan slagging jimi hendrix ;) summed it up perfect thank you.

• Advertisement

have to say vanilla sky just did nothing to me did not get it but... it was a specif gendre and some movies you just have to be in the mood to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Apocalypse Now? Come on. If you don't understand the film, don't write that it is overrated.

Dark Knight, that is overrated film. Only one good thing about the whole film is the Joker.

where do you start...wow ok throw out the westlife collection.stop watching soaps ,and realise the green party is never going to rules the world...then when you join the rest of us in the land called planet earth watch those movies again....if still not getting it ok try zombies flesh eaters from kenmare, might be more in line with your tastes ;)

"Wow ok", it is my opinion that these are some of the most overrated and boring films ever made. YOUR opinion is that they are worth wasting a few hours of your life watching them. Well done.

Personally, I compare films an actor/director has done to the new one I watch. The Departed for example is by far a let down when I compare it to Goodfella's. I don't know where to start comparing the work of Nicholson :D In regards to Orson Welles I much preffered The Third Man.

You sir need to accept that everyone has their own opinions whether you agree with them or not. Another narrow-minded person :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

ThOnda wrote: »
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Apocalypse Now? Come on. If you don't understand the film, don't write that it is overrated.

Dark Knight, that is overrated film.

You didn't understand Batman? :p

"Wow ok", it is my opinion that these are some of the most overrated and boring films ever made. YOUR opinion is that they are worth wasting a few hours of your life watching them. Well done.

Personally, I compare films an actor/director has done to the new one I watch. The Departed for example is by far a let down when I compare it to Goodfella's. I don't know where to start comparing the work of Nicholson :D In regards to Orson Welles I much preffered The Third Man.

You sir need to accept that everyone has their own opinions whether you agree with them or not. Another narrow-minded person :rolleyes:

er...oookay...you know, you shouldn't judge a film compared with other films that have the same actor, nor should aomeone really judge a film on whether a directors prevous films are any better...take the film on its own merits and stop wasting your own time.

Godzilla '54 overrated pile of crap.

er...oookay...you know, you shouldn't judge a film compared with other films that have the same actor, nor should aomeone really judge a film on whether a directors prevous films are any better...take the film on its own merits and stop wasting your own time.

Each to their own way of critiquing a film. BTW Are you the same poster? The bad grammar seems too a like.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

the assanation of jessie james by the coward............... god, even typing the name bores me.

The most boring movie i have ever seen it was painfull.

you are comparing total different gendres from different eras .. and of course your choice is respected thats why we allow women to vote now ;)

Each to their own way of critiquing a film. BTW Are you the same poster? The bad grammar seems too a like.
    ? one spelling mistake does not constitute bad grammer. the sentance is a bit unwieldy, but there's nothing wrong with it...or is this a really bad attempt at an insult?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

heres another i just thought of , close encounters of a 3rd kind

Advertisement