Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adverts App for Android

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Captain Andy

Well...Woke up to another 2 Boards Deals notifications this morning. Checked the app after I deleted them to turn off the notifications setting, again, as it had turned itself back on when I allowed it to update once. However, it was already turned off and I still got the 2 "Deals" (which couldn't have been anymore irrelevent to me!). This is becoming almost comical! I suppose eventually we will just break down and accept it that we will get constant Spam in our phones without any option to unsubscribe - ever! (unless we root the device - technically voiding our warranty and insurance - Thanks Samsung!). So - amongst my important email and message notifications - It seems I will also be receiving such tempting prices to have my legs waxed 150 miles away from home! Expletive expletive expletive you slimy expletive expletives!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 B0oO0o

Time to root. Any recommendations for a Galaxy2 root method from 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keywal

Dav,

any news on the new release?
    Samsungs 'media channels' aren't giving us the info... first the update mentioned here said January, then it was February and now i know it's March but still no new firmware that allows the removal of these 'apps' :rolleyes:

i would love to root this phone but why should i have to???

K

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv asked on the twitter and facebook, never got a response. Was gonna look up and see had they an email address I could try. Would be nice if whoever has the contact about this in the Boards Group would chase it up again and ask what the delay is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

Bumpety bump bump..

any news?

when we get ics next week will it be deleteable?? (is that a word ? )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

John mac wrote: »
    Bumpety bump bump..

any news?

when we get ics next week will it be deleteable?? (is that a word ? )

ICS is out next week? In Ireland? On operators like o2? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rokkitgurl

I am hoping there is an update soon, as this app is now crashing my Samsung Galaxy S2 about twice a week...

I am still getting updates from board deals despite changing the notification status...

As soon as there is news of ICS or a way to uninstall this app would be fabulous!!

Thanks in advance!

Sully wrote: »
    ICS is out next week? In Ireland? On operators like o2? :S

#ICS for #GALAXYSII will be available today in Europe including Poland, Hungary, Sweden, & Korea, & gradually roll out to other markets.

from here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Just updated my Galaxy S2 to ICS through Kies. Am on Three and guess what? The distilled Media apps are still on my phone and I am still unable to delete them. I guess someone never got the memo!

Cazale wrote: »
    Just updated my Galaxy S2 to ICS through Kies. Am on Three and guess what? The distilled Media apps are still on my phone and I am still unable to delete them. I guess someone never got the memo!

I asked them today about this, on a different Facebook page belonging to Samsung.

• Advertisement

Seriously? Ugh I am going to update now, but am NOT happy

rokkitgurl wrote: »
    Seriously? Ugh I am going to update now, but am NOT happy

This is what they responded. I have asked them to clarify "Disabled" though, because it seems different to actually removing them.
    Samsung Mobile Ireland Hi - Yes - You'll be able to Disable any local preloads you don't need/use by going into the 'settings' menu, selecting 'applications', then 'all'. Find the app you don't need, select it and then click 'disable'. This will completely disable the app and also remove it from your applications list / menu :)

this is good to hear... I'll update then and hope for the best with this disabling feature...
    I'm not hopeful as I want to completely DELETE preloaded software and apps I NEVER use.

I appreciate this anyways! Thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Aside from this absolute train wreck-Kies is a bucket of crap. Personally, I'd the root the thing, but the usual caveats apply.

Bumpety bump again,,:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any news???

Its addressed in ICS (new version of Android). At least partly (disable the app, hide from view rather than actually removing all references)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Sully wrote: »
    Its addressed in ICS (new version of Android). At least partly (disable the app, hide from view rather than actually removing all references)

Pretty much like nearly all operating systems then

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Teddy Tedson banned for a week for yet again posting off topic despite a mod warning in his last thread.

I got ICS the other day from o2, so I can confirm that you can disable a lot (not all) of applications with this update. I was able to disable BoardsDeals no problem. Other "system" apps can also be disabled while some couldn't.

Just pop into Settings -> Applications -> All. Select the application.
    - From here, you will either be given the option to Uninstall or Disable. If Disable isn't there, run with Uninstall. It usually gives an error saying its not possible. But then it gives the option to Disable.

I was able to disable a lot of pre-loaded commercial apps and other general apps that have always came with the phone that seem to be part of Android. Samsung say it cant be fully removed in ICS because of where the apps are located - a restricted partition. But that they no longer pre-install apps and they are "launching a global app recommendation app which will host suggested apps from samsung instead." and that " Most devices since [GSII], and also new planned devices will have the recommendation app instead of local pre-loads as we think this will be more user friendly, easier to manage during firmware updates, and also take up less space."

So anyway, the issue was put to bed at long last with ICS which is now available on o2, Three, and Meteor.

Dav wrote: »
    We got some word back from Samsung:I believe this update is scheduled for January, but I'll see if I can get better confirmation of that for you.

I shall ask again.. any update on Ability to Remove this app?
    (not disabling it and not rooting the phone)

• Advertisement

The pushed out bloat (Pumps, Boardz Deals, etc.) was all removed when I upgraded the roll-out of ICS 4.0 on an SGS2 on O2 IRL

just updated the firmware to ics. and am able to remove these aplications.
    (E-mobile)

The pushed out bloat (Pumps, Boardz Deals, etc.) was all removed when I upgraded the roll-out of ICS 4.0 on an SGS2 on O2 IRL

Just re-installed the new ICS via Samsung Kies and the bloatware can only be disabled...

New problem I'm having... ads popping up from other apps

What is pontiflex and why does it pop up now everytime I restart my phone?

Just re-installed the new ICS via Samsung Kies and the bloatware can only be disabled...

New problem I'm having... ads popping up from other apps

What is pontiflex and why does it pop up now everytime I restart my phone?

Are you on o2? If not - can't help. If so, ICS 4.0 upgrade wiped (or I deleted - I can't remember) the pushed out apps on my phone. No adds occur - No apps to create adds exist.

Are you on o2? If not - can't help. If so, ICS 4.0 upgrade wiped (or I deleted - I can't remember) the pushed out apps on my phone. No adds occur - No apps to create adds exist.

Ya... im on stupid meteor... UGH... the bloatware is still there and cannot be *truly* disabled... Im getting popups constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Ya... im on stupid meteor... UGH... the bloatware is still there and cannot be *truly* disabled... Im getting popups constantly
    I would doubt that your pontiflex issue is related boards. Pontiflex are quite crass in terms of their service, and really skirt the boundaries of spammage in my opinion. Check your other installs.

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    I would doubt that your pontiflex issue is related boards. Pontiflex are quite crass in terms of their service, and really skirt the boundaries of spammage in my opinion. Check your other installs.

Well, where ever it is coming from, it's driving me nuts! any ad block services for mobiles you can recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

how can I view my watch list on the app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

WIZE wrote: »
    how can I view my watch list on the app

This post might be of help to you . If not your best bet is to post on Adverts' Support forum .

• Advertisement

nessyguin wrote: »
    This post might be of help to you . If not your best bet is to post on Adverts' Support forum .

Thanks... Will check it out...

Advertisement