Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Irish HL predictions P 1 AND 2 * (1 thread please!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

it depends how well you keep to the point. going off on an opinion that you off by heart but has no relevance to the title will cost you marks BUT they give more marks on the grammar: the tense you use, how well you use it, fluency etc.

if i were you Emz id learn off a few key terms about the recession just to throw in if you want to write the essay you have. At least then they (examiners) know it aint all bull**** :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

"Beidh an streachailt ar aghaidh" - the struggle will continue, or "Ní bhfuil an ré na saint dar críoch" - the era of greed hasnt ended (Sorry if my grammar's really bad but you get the idea)

leanfaidh an strachailt (go deo) (ar aghaidh)... V unlikely they will use a word such as strachailt... more likely to be fadhbanna no rud éigin mar sin.

and ní thagann aon deireadh le/ar ré na sainte

Please for your own sakes, stay away from google translate for the next two days...it will do very very little for your studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Realt11 wrote: »
    it depends how well you keep to the point. going off on an opinion that you off by heart but has no relevance to the title will cost you marks BUT they give more marks on the grammar: the tense you use, how well you use it, fluency etc.
    80/100 for grammar and 20/100 for content. So long as you aren't looking for an A you can quite easily twist your essay to suit the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Saphira Bunansa

Heard talk of Cearrbhach Mac Caba and Lig Sinn i gCathu =/ Hope to god Ligg sin i Gcathu doesn't come up.

Poetry.. Geallt, An mhaithair, An tOilean.

Not too sure otherwise, and that's only what I've heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Clare sa Speir... an Bhean Og... Cearrbhach MacCaba.
    Nil aon Ni and Jack.
    Maigdileana, An t-Oilean, Dan do Mhelissa.
    An Fhiannaiocht, an Caighdean, an Ogham, Dan Direach...

OMG I'M SCREWED THIS IS GOING TO BE THE WORST EXAM EVER.
    sorry, i just wanted to get that off my chest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

I'm not the best at Irish but I need higher level for primary school teaching....I managed a C2 in the mocks ... but I definitely need a C or better in the exam...

What do you think will come up for prose, poetry O and H and An Triail oh and stair.....I'm hoping Oiche Nollaig na Mban...that's my best answer for poetry I know it best ....
    What are the chances of Dá mb'fhéidir Arís D'ar Gcumann..? I really hate it and An mathair....

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I'm bricking it in case I don't understand the titles!

Like last year "daoine atá i mbéal an phobal" . I wouldn't have had a clue! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

you would have known, you would have immediately panicked because it wasnt blatantly obvious, but breaking it up....daoine..yep, people, béal...mouth, obviously its not people in the publics mouth literally, so you would have been able to figure it out, its just initial panic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 plmokn

Realt11 wrote: »
    Have stuff prepared on 'An Culú Eacnamaíochta' and 'Imirce' - Recession and Emmigration. they are hot topics but then again the examiners wont set anything too predicable either. just look for power words in the title. take your time reading the title and ask yourself what they look for in each one. You'll be pumped on adrenaline at the beginning of that exam,and if you find yourself freaking out at the essays, do the comprehensions first to settle yourself into the swing of things.

With an Cearrbhach, id defo have stuff on na tréithe béaloidis learned off.

Never covered anything on emmigration.. But I have loads on the recession and politics and that... I'm freaking out about the essay already to be honest! Just because it's worth so many marks :(
    Thanks for the advice!

If something on the recession does not come up, 90% of students will be F****D.

Hopefully it wont be a similar story to the epic "Boland" fail last year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

plmokn wrote: »

Anyone have any suggestions on essay titles? I always have trouble understanding what they mean! I know I'll know enough vocab to get me by anything that comes up, but does anyone have any advice on how a question might be phrased? And how to relate your points back to the question?

I have trouble understanding the titles as well, so I went through all the papers back to 2000 and looked up anything I didn't understand using a dictionary. Never know, it might help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

hunii07 wrote: »
    I'm not the best at Irish but I need higher level for primary school teaching....I managed a C2 in the mocks ... but I definitely need a C or better in the exam...

What do you think will come up for prose, poetry O and H and An Triail oh and stair.....I'm hoping Oiche Nollaig na Mban...that's my best answer for poetry I know it best ....
    What are the chances of Dá mb'fhéidir Arís D'ar Gcumann..? I really hate it and An mathair....

The only thing I have learned is Oiche Nollaig na Mban....literally the ONLY HL poem. So, I am hoping with my fingers toes and eyes crossed, that it will come up.

I was at a christmas revision course, and the teacher predicted
    A Mhathair
    Da M'Fheidir
    A Chead Drama
    Uirchill and Chreagain

And essays, she predicted Road safety and Alcohol

EDIT: Ok so I did some rooting through all the notes she gave us, Oiche Nollaig na mBan she has it underlined and starred, so it must be important!! Sorry for freaking you all out!

For prose, she has lig sinn i gcathu, claire sa speir and an bean og predicted... which seem fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

The only thing I have learned is Oiche Nollaig na Mban....literally the ONLY HL poem. So, I am hoping with my fingers toes and eyes crossed, that it will come up.

A Mhathair
    Da M'Fheidir
    A Chead Drama
    Uirchill and Chreagain

Seriously Oiche Nollaig na Mban better come up.....What..? :eek: my teacher didnt do a chead drama or uirchill an chreagain because the came up last yr.... I'm a repeat but I have very little done on those two...

A Mhathair
    Da M'Fheidir
    A Chead Drama
    Uirchill and Chreagain

WTF? seriously?

and if she's right for the essays I'm screwed

plmokn wrote: »

Anyone have any suggestions on essay titles? I always have trouble understanding what they mean! I know I'll know enough vocab to get me by anything that comes up, but does anyone have any advice on how a question might be phrased? And how to relate your points back to the question?

Road safety and alcohol were tipped by the teacher at the institute in Dub? Them and politics are the only 3 i'm learning...

Road safety and alcohol were tipped by the teacher at the institute in Dub? Them and politics are the only 3 i'm learning...

Craaaaaap.... I've 2 perfect essays on road safety & alcohol but I haven't learned them off! :(:(:(
    Chose recession and education system over them.. :(

WTF? seriously?

and if she's right for the essays I'm screwed

I know...I was a lil confused by her logic too...
    But it was in the institute, she seemed to know what she was on about :S

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

When people say "politics" for the essay what do they mean? Corruption etc? We never got anything on that :confused: Would you be able to wrangle in points about the cuts in health and eduction there though?

hunii07 wrote: »
    Seriously Oiche Nollaig na Mban better come up.....What..? :eek: my teacher didnt do a chead drama or uirchill an chreagain because the came up last yr.... I'm a repeat but I have very little done on those two...

I found my some notes she gave us on oiche nollaig, marked as VERY IMPORTANT...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Hi :)
    Rather than making a new thread, seeing as this is related to my essay on politics, could anyone give me a bit of help translating these few phrases? :)

Thanks! :)

Féachaimis ar bhuisead Bhriain Uí Luineacháin cúpla mhí ó shín. Chuir sé ar ceal an liúntas sa bhreis a thugtar dóibh siúd atá ar phinsin gach Nollaigh. Ní fhéadfadh focal ar bith a bheith ann chun cur síos beacht a dhéanamh ar an bhfearg a chuir is a chuireann go fóill ar shaoránaigh na tíre seo.

• Advertisement

I found my some notes she gave us on oiche nollaig, marked as VERY IMPORTANT...

Was it Claire Grealy?

I have her notes too. She seems like a bit of a legend :D

Will have to wait 'till Monday though...

biggaman wrote: »
    Hi :)
    Rather than making a new thread, seeing as this is related to my essay on politics, could anyone give me a bit of help translating these few phrases? :)

Thanks! :)

Féachaimis ar bhuisead Bhriain Uí Luineacháin cúpla mhí ó shín. Chuir sé ar ceal an liúntas sa bhreis a thugtar dóibh siúd atá ar phinsin gach Nollaigh. Ní fhéadfadh focal ar bith a bheith ann chun cur síos beacht a dhéanamh ar an bhfearg a chuir is a chuireann go fóill ar shaoránaigh na tíre seo.

THATS A QUOTE FROM MY ESSAY! Got it from the Institute.

Don't mean to be disrespectful but is it still appropriate to put this in since he passed away yesterday?

We see Brian Lenehans budget a couple of months ago. He cut benefit that people on the pension get every Christmas. Nothing can put into words the anger that has been put and is being put on citizens of this country.

THATS A QUOTE FROM MY ESSAY! Got it from the Institute.

Don't mean to be disrespectful but is it still appropriate to put this in since he passed away yesterday?

Yeah me too :)

I haven't decided where to just refer to the budget alone, or write a tribute paragraph to him after mentioning him name yet..

and thanks! :)

Yeah me too :)

I haven't decided where to just refer to the budget alone, or write a tribute paragraph to him after mentioning him name yet..

and thanks! :)

We could just say "ar dheis Dé go raibh sé" in brackets after his name?

Was it Claire Grealy?

I have her notes too. She seems like a bit of a legend :D

Will have to wait 'till Monday though...

haha yeah, thats her! She was pretty sure about her predictions anyway!!

we will indeedy...

We could just say "ar dheis Dé go raibh sé" in brackets after his name?
    Thats a good idea yeah, in fairness, we're not slating him personally its the system and Dáil in general, it just happens he was finance minister at the time?

Thats a good idea yeah, in fairness, we're not slating him personally its the system and Dáil in general, it just happens he was finance minister at the time?

Yeah.. Jeez I wonder how many others are using that essay if it fits? :cool:

"Éist! An ciúnas! cad tá le cliosint? Is é an freagra lom simplí ná "faic"."

:P

Haha well i took half from that essay and half from my own teacher's god-like stuff.. hopefully I'll stand out.. :L :L
    Seriously if politics doesn't come up, it'll be worse than maths. :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

Yeah.. Jeez I wonder how many others are using that essay if it fits? :cool:

"Éist! An ciúnas! cad tá le cliosint? Is é an freagra lom simplí ná "faic"."

:P

Ha , I have that one too. I've mixed and matched paragraphs from this and the Policitics essay ("Ta eolas ag cach ar an seanfhocal...")

The essay I've learnt off, I have broken down to 7 paragraphs;

The Past & The good times
    The Change/Arrival of the recession
    Unemployment
    Cost of living
    The 50's and 60's compared to today
    Politicians and what they're doing to help
    Outlook of the future

Couple of my paragraphs are small but the essay in total in around 500 words, or just about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement