Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame rate advice

• 21-07-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I have 2 cameras that shoot 1080p at 30 fps.... I am getting ready for a thesis project, and make need to use a 3rd camera, with a very limited budget!

I found a lumix compact on sale that does 1080, but at 25pms or 50i....

I am really just learning about tho stuff as I go, (the project is not about video), but I would be really grateful to know if I am getting into disaster territory if the frame rates are not all the same, in which case I should only buy something that does 1080p 30fps....

Many thanks for any advice.
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

can your other cams not record at 24 or 25 FPS? often with some cams if you lower the resolution it will give you more frame rate options.

If for instance your going to output in Standard Definition DVD quality thw output will be 720 x 576 and seeing as we're in a PAL region the frame rate will be 25 FPS and not 29.97 which is for NTSC.

What you need to find out is; what resolution all three cams are capable of and then what frame rates are available.

Most editing programs will allow you to place clips with different frame rates on the one timeline and there are various methods depending on the editing program on how to cope with this and how they are finally rendered out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The editing program should be able to convert everything to 25fps without any noticeable problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

You could try changing the video system on the first 2 cams from NTSC to PAL, should give you 25p. Check in your menus and see if it's an option, or get the manual out. I know Canon's cameras have that option, not sure about others.

Or as Scumlord said, you can easily convert footage.

Sony have the option too, it's called a cineframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paddy2

Many thanks for all the replies, and information. It is all very interesting.

I have changed approach, and found a Fuji x10, that does 1080 at 30fps, so all 3 cameras are running the same.

It is a very basic project, but am looking forward to learning by doing! I am guessing there will be lots of issues with each camera's shots looking different, in terms of light/colour etc.... but will be great experience!

Many thanks.

• Advertisement

paddy2 wrote: »
    Many thanks for all the replies, and information. It is all very interesting.

I have changed approach, and found a Fuji x10, that does 1080 at 30fps, so all 3 cameras are running the same.

It is a very basic project, but am looking forward to learning by doing! I am guessing there will be lots of issues with each camera's shots looking different, in terms of light/colour etc.... but will be great experience!

Many thanks.
    Colour balance is the most effective way of making the separate videos look like they belong together. If your editor allows you to view the colour channels (red, green, blue) separately as black and white images it's easier to match the two videos. You just make the green black and white images match each other in contrast, then do it with the other colours and when you come back to the full colour image they should have almost identical colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paddy2

Thanks for that advice, looking forward to trying to get to grips with it! Will end up using Final Cut....

Advertisement