Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

making mustard

Options
  • 24-05-2014 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

I'm going to have a go at making mustard from scratch - I prefer the smoother hotter Colemans style rather than the wholegrain. Could'nt see any threads on searching here so just wondering if anyone has any tried and tested recipes for making mustard itself ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

No, never made mustard myself.. It is relatively common (or was) to make it yourself in the sense that you'd be mixing Colemans mustard flour or the like (ground mustard seed) with water. Essentially that's all mustard is, ground mustard seed and water, with perhaps some additional spices and/or lemon juice.

Pretty easy to get ground mustard, I say buy it and do a bit of experimenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

nibble wrote: »
    No, never made mustard myself.. It is relatively common (or was) to make it yourself in the sense that you'd be mixing Colemans mustard flour or the like (ground mustard seed) with water. Essentially that's all mustard is, ground mustard seed and water, with perhaps some additional spices and/or lemon juice.

Pretty easy to get ground mustard, I say buy it and do a bit of experimenting.

Thanks - I'm starting from Mustard seed stage rather than a pre bought mix - I've managed to get yellow, brown & black mustard seeds and will experiment - I guess its a case of try it & then vary the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

How did you get on with the Mustard Andi

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

uch wrote: »
    How did you get on with the Mustard Andi

Varying degrees of success - best results were from the yellow mustard seeds, albeit first batch was hotter than a vindaloo ! - there's widom in moderations :rolleyes:

Toned it down and have been using it for the past week and very nice it is. Doesn't last as long as shop bought, but then again doesn't contain preservatives either.

Its exciting because you can play around with it - get the ingredients together then do a small amount with one flavour added and another with something else so you literally tweak it to your liking

Advertisement