Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Ya wasn't expecting a bad 1st week weather wise mid may but its Ireland, good call!

Very nice site

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Villain wrote: »
    Well done Cork self build, can I suggest you have a pump ready if you get serious rainfall, which sadly is very possible over the coming days.

Day 2 - got foundations poured and the rain stayed away thankfully! :)

69177b6e6c898637dbf0548705c51e3e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good stuff when I saw the flash flood reports I was worried you might have had a bad day!

So Week 1 down...

Been an exciting fast week! We were haunted with the weather only really rained this afternoon for an hour or two, but was a productive day, did a load of strimming, ready to set my posts which got delivered today, for the fence I need to lay tomorrow on one side of the site, the only open side.

20140524_111140.jpg

We are pretty much done with deadwork, ready to set with stone and dress earth ready for plumbing etc Monday, we also have an independent DPM / Radon barrier testing tomorrow to ensure no leaks etc before floors will be poured...

Dead work complete
    20140523_184541.jpg

Wish I'd more money for a bigger garage, but hey gotta stick to the budget, we will have a container hidden away as a Fuel Store for drying timber for the 2 stoves...
    20140523_184347.jpg

So we also went drilling the well this week...
    20140521_192658.jpg

All going "well" Friday evening, but we hit 60ft so called it a day.
    20140523_184307.jpg

Some sh1te coming up...
    20140524_153226.jpg

So today, kept going, had hoped for between 60 & 80 ft based on 2 neighbouring wells, so we hit 90ft, then 91, then at 92ft the steel stops sinking, disaster, a weld had failed along the way & no water... :-(

Leave it settle for an hour or two, nothing, so given that the steel somewhere has failed, it's dead... No way to pull it up realistically given depth... No option but stop the drill, so 92ft of steel gone to waste and 2 days work down the drain... No option but to cut the steel and call it a day and leave it all in the ground...

20140524_170541.jpg

Well driller was understandably pissed! Hopefully he will be back in a week or so he said and try again in a different spot, hopefully it won't be another 100ft + drill and save some money!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

20140524_170541.jpg

Well driller was understandably pissed! Hopefully he will be back in a week or so he said and try again in a different spot, hopefully it won't be another 100ft + drill and save some money!

don't despair - we had to drill 90 metres :eek: to get our water !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

jesus! thats deep!!! was it mostly rock or earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

galwaytt wrote: »
    don't despair - we had to drill 90 metres :eek: to get our water !!

About the same for us - at 300ft he was would have had to stop as that was the rigs max depth

the water now sits at around 30 to 60 feet but I do not know if we pump a lot out how long it takes to replenish

we did pump out sewage treatment system after 18 months and the view was it would not have lasted much longer before it started pushing sh1t into the percolation area -

Big depths! We're you drilling through rock or earth there?

Only 18 months for sewage, how many people using the system? The council rules made us use an 8 person one even there is only 2 of us... So far...

Big depths! We're you drilling through rock or earth there?
    solid magma (ex volcano) rock I think is what they said. We probably found a cave full of water
    [/quote]

Only 18 months for sewage, how many people using the system? The council rules made us use an 8 person one even there is only 2 of us... So far...[/QUOTE]

4 people plus kitchen sink grinder - for €220 - (which is cheaper than those who will be paying for water) seems good value to me

• Registered Users Posts: 25 roisincorran

Me. Im at 1rst fix.
    Mod Note - 9/10/2012: This thread is for discussing the various aspects of building as they arise. Do not use this thread for "pre-building" queries. Such queries should be posted in their own threads.

How many people on boards are in the process of building their own homes at the moment, have recently completed or planning to do so in the near future.

I am about 3/4 of the way through a self-build.
    It would be interesting to have a "live" list of current self-builds on the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Me. Im at 1rst fix.

Good for you Roisin. Any photos? Care to share your experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Photobucket picture removed as it gave my email address!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

JDI,
    No wonder you've been missing. ;). Great stuff. good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

It's been a very long time since I posted here but hopefully the photo sums it up - external work finished now and starting firts fixes soon. It's good to be on so far and yet so much still to do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Love the garage Barney

vFNvujT.jpg Raft foundation with retaining wall in place

GFfvyzp.jpg

RnxgO5p.jpg
    Just as well the pop-up was taped :D

TjuSuZR.jpg

Pipes for meter box. Note it will be outside the wide cavity.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

just do it wrote: »

Pipes for meter box. Note it will be outside the wide cavity.

Just Do It,
    Is the raft insulated and are you doin that later?

What is the make of your walls?

Thanks
    K

kboc wrote: »
    Just Do It,
    Is the raft insulated and are you doin that later?

What is the make of your walls?

Thanks
    K

The raft is structural and not insulated. The walls are reinforced concrete retaining walls. There will be over a metre of backfill around the high corner.

The inner leaf will have one coarse of quinlite and it's a 250mm cavity which will be pumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 calum22

Looking good Just Do It!!

• Advertisement

Haven't posted in a while, we are now pretty much finished the block work, bar a small few bits here and there... Roof should be started in a week or so, windows are ordered, so far so good! :D

9b64387edb8ebfa5dc8fb56e1c19e6b7.jpg

0e083a39e33f78e6a7af5eb524337113.jpg

Why the returned block at the reveals - how will you limit the cold bridged at this point

It's funny what you get stuck on. We paused the building of the workshed for a fortnight as it has a prominent position on the site and it is the first thing you see when you drive in. So we've gone through a few different sketches involving the roof and ultimately the QS priced the architects preferred option and we're back to the original, cheaper design :D. Still it was worth doing it. I don't want to look back on any element of this and think if only I'd researched that a bit more.

I'm glad with the team of people I've selected as I feel we are all working well together and that is a huge consideration.

Lower floor block work done and now waiting on precast floor and stairs.

5FQcdG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

just do it wrote: »
    Lower floor block work done and now waiting on precast floor and stairs.

5FQcdG.jpg

That's a lovely view to wake up to every morning!!

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's a lovely view to wake up to every morning!!

Yes looking forward to it although as it is an upside down house we'll have to get up to admire it :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Haven't posted in a while, we are now pretty much finished the block work, bar a small few bits here and there... Roof should be started in a week or so, windows are ordered, so far so good! :D

9b64387edb8ebfa5dc8fb56e1c19e6b7.jpg

0e083a39e33f78e6a7af5eb524337113.jpg
    where you have steels, what thermal breaks have you provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

hey everyone, so we've our plans in with Galway coco, and i've just started researching the insulation for the foundations/walls, and i'm already feeling over whelmed...
    We're building a split level house and from years of rental cold-very poor insulated accom, we're hoping like everyone i suppose, to build a near-passive house.
    any recommendations at this stage would be fantastic......where to start! :)

thumper10 wrote: »
    hey everyone, so we've our plans in with Galway coco, and i've just started researching the insulation for the foundations/walls, and i'm already feeling over whelmed...
    We're building a split level house and from years of rental cold-very poor insulated accom, we're hoping like everyone i suppose, to build a near-passive house.
    any recommendations at this stage would be fantastic......where to start! :)
    A good place to start would be to read the first post on this thread ;)

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    where you have steels, what thermal breaks have you provided?

All the horizontal steels are separated, there is 2 beams, one for each leaf, insulated in between.

The structural uprights are sitting on a type of pad to try provide a break, like a rubber style pad. These will then be wrapped in insulation before being blocked around.

The one in the ceiling is wrapped in insulation between slab, the airtight layer and ceiling insulation will then wrap under this again.

Advertisement