Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Renovation Incentive

• 23-04-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Just wondering if any of the Tradesmen, hereabouts, have noted any increase in business following this Tax Incentive, since last Oct/Dec

Also if any architectural chaps are dealing with any, or many, extensions, renovations, linked to this Incentive.

No stats from Revenue yet, too soon, as it only went live on ROS this month.

Personally I am disappointed with the uptake from householders, since it's introduction,

Your thoughts, or experience....thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Yes there is a notable pick up , great that people asking for your revenue detail . Will push the cash merchants to one side .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If you don't mind me asking, is all the householder to do give the company/person who carried out the work their property tax number and the tradesman does the rest from their side? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Posy wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, is all the householder to do give the company/person who carried out the work their property tax number and the tradesman does the rest from their side? :o

You need to insure the Contractor is Tax Compliant, they will have a Tax Clearance Cert, or a letter from Revenue, stating a 20%deduction, from a Sub Contractor Job. Details on the Revenue web Site.

Then give them your Prt ref number, and check on-line Revenue Web Site again, that they register any payments you give them.

Thanks, Martinn. :)
    They are a registered company and told me they qualify with the HRI scheme, but I'm still not on the website as having work done when I log in. I better contact them with my PRT number (again!) and give a gentle reminder before it's past May 8th and I don't get my tax credits!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DPM1

Do you have to apply to quality for the rebate like the seai grant or is it a case of getting the work done and claiming after?

• Advertisement

Thanks, Martinn. :)
    They are a registered company and told me they qualify with the HRI scheme, but I'm still not on the website as having work done when I log in. I better contact them with my PRT number (again!) and give a gentle reminder before it's past May 8th and I don't get my tax credits!

When they register your job with revenue, URN [ unique reference number } issues for your contract.

All the details are accessed on the Revenue Web site quoting this URN.
    Not sure what May 8th refers to, you get the Tax credit for 2015 and 2016.

DPM1 wrote: »
    Do you have to apply to quality for the rebate like the seai grant or is it a case of getting the work done and claiming after?

No first check the Contractor Is Tax Compliant, give them your PRT number, and then the Contractor will register the job with Revenue and get a URN for the job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

One month sticky ( see how it goes )

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DPM1

Sorry for the hijack, I have a number of jobs to get done and individually they wont make up the minimum €4405 to qualify but will when totalled up. Does each repair go against your "credits" up to €30k of repairs or how does that side work. I might ring the revenue tomorrow but if anyone has the answer they might let me know.

martinn123 wrote: »
    All the details are accessed on the Revenue Web site quoting this URN.
    Not sure what May 8th refers to, you get the Tax credit for 2015 and 2016.
    It says on the HRI website
    "If you had qualifying work carried out during [25 October 2013 and 10 April 2014] you should contact your Contractor. Your Contractor has until 8 May 2014 to enter the work and payment details to HRI online... You won’t be able to claim the HRI tax credit if the details aren’t entered to HRI online."

So I'm assuming if he hasn't done it by next week I can't claim.

• Advertisement

It says on the HRI website
    "If you had qualifying work carried out during [25 October 2013 and 10 April 2014] you should contact your Contractor. Your Contractor has until 8 May 2014 to enter the work and payment details to HRI online... You won’t be able to claim the HRI tax credit if the details aren’t entered to HRI online."

So I'm assuming if he hasn't done it by next week I can't claim.

OK, the Revenue web site was only going live in April, while the Tax Break was available from 25th Oct, so any work carried out during that period has to be entered NOW on the Web Site.
    Looks like Revenue have given Contractors a month, to get all details up.
    So yes get on to your Contractor, now, to get it registered

DPM1 wrote: »
    Sorry for the hijack, I have a number of jobs to get done and individually they wont make up the minimum €4405 to qualify but will when totalled up. Does each repair go against your "credits" up to €30k of repairs or how does that side work. I might ring the revenue tomorrow but if anyone has the answer they might let me know.

Yes you can add the various Jobs together.....provided each individual Contractor Qualifies for the scheme...all the Work is at 13.5% VAT....and the work itself qualifies...i.e no white goods..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amandasphi

Yes, there's a revenue pick up. Hope it rises more.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Marlay

Hi, I was periodically checking on this, waiting for the system to go live. I've only just now spotted the deadline of May 8th. Does anyone know when that was announced? As a homeowner is there any chance of that being extended or is that it?

Cheers.

Marlay wrote: »
    Hi, I was periodically checking on this, waiting for the system to go live. I've only just now spotted the deadline of May 8th. Does anyone know when that was announced? As a homeowner is there any chance of that being extended or is that it?

Cheers.

The May 8th date, refers to jobs done since Oct 2013, to April 2014, which have to be entered on the Revenue Site by May 8th.

The scheme itself is open to end Dec 2014. So fire away.

The May 8th date, refers to jobs done since Oct 2013, to April 2014, which have to be entered on the Revenue Site by May 8th.

The scheme itself is open to end Dec 2014. So fire away.

Unfortunately this job was done in November last year. Guess I've missed out. One month seems like short notice to me. Now that I search I see one or two articles from last week that mention the deadline, but I certainly didn't spot them before.

Marlay wrote: »
    Unfortunately this job was done in November last year. Guess I've missed out. One month seems like short notice to me. Now that I search I see one or two articles from last week that mention the deadline, but I certainly didn't spot them before.

Ah, I see, the job should have been notified to Revenue by the ''Contractor'' all you had to do was supply your Property Tax Ref No, and check they had a Tax Clearance Cert.

Ah, I see, the job should have been notified to Revenue by the ''Contractor'' all you had to do was supply your Property Tax Ref No, and check they had a Tax Clearance Cert.

Revenue don't seem to have a problem extending deadlines for receiving money. I doubt it will work the other way around somehow. Annoying that there was no mention of any deadline last time I checked the site. And this time I've somehow missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 busy busy bee

Can anyone advise if the May 8 deadline for logging details on the Revenue website for work done between October 2013 & April 2014 under the Home Renovation Incentive has been extended to May 31st?

Can anyone advise if the May 8 deadline for logging details on the Revenue website for work done between October 2013 & April 2014 under the Home Renovation Incentive has been extended to May 31st?

No mention of an extension on the Revenue Web-site.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/hri/pre-online-admin-faqs.html

• Advertisement

It's just I spoke to a lady in Revenue yesterday and she said the deadline had been extended to May 31st. There's nothing about that on their website as far as I can see

It's just I spoke to a lady in Revenue yesterday and she said the deadline had been extended to May 31st. There's nothing about that on their website as far as I can see

The only clue I can find on the Web-Site is this
    The Revenue Commissioners announced that, as of last night (08/05/14), over 3,780 contracts in respect of 3,100 properties with a value in excess of €65m were entered onto HRI online. Home owners who had qualifying work carried out and paid for between 25 October 2013 and 10 April 2014 need to get their contractor to enter their details online using the property owner’s LPT property ID now.

The Statement was issued on the 9th, and uses the phrase NOW.

So a hint of a Time Extension, maybe.

I would go on the word of the lady you spoke to, hopefully she is right.

Thanks Martinn I'll try find out some more on Monday. Our job started last week in March and is still ongoing. We made some payments before April 10 but only just became aware of the May 8 deadline. We're afraid now that we wont be able to claim credits for those payments already made in April.

Thanks Martinn I'll try find out some more on Monday. Our job started last week in March and is still ongoing. We made some payments before April 10 but only just became aware of the May 8 deadline. We're afraid now that we wont be able to claim credits for those payments already made in April.

No you will be grand.

As the job is not finished yet, the deadline will not apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

hi, i started building a garage at the end of last year, first payments for work was paid in Nov 13 and second in Dec 13, the worked stopped for winter and i continued with the same contractor in april for plastering and tarmac around garage and to tie-in to the rest of the house, also patio slabs etc.

so the final stage of work will be finished soon and payment is due. so my question is , can i enter in the 3 invoices together as one now that were past the 8 may. (didn't know there was a deadline)

or am i too late for the first two invoices?

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    hi, i started building a garage at the end of last year, first payments for work was paid in Nov 13 and second in Dec 13, the worked stopped for winter and i continued with the same contractor in april for plastering and tarmac around garage and to tie-in to the rest of the house, also patio slabs etc.

so the final stage of work will be finished soon and payment is due. so my question is , can i enter in the 3 invoices together as one now that were past the 8 may. (didn't know there was a deadline)

or am i too late for the first two invoices?

This is not clear from the Revenue Web-site,

Did You,
    Revenue wrote:

Before work starts

· Tell the Contractor that you will be applying for a tax credit
    under the HRI scheme for the work done.

· Ask the Contractor to confirm to you that he or she is
    participating in the scheme and will enter the details of the
    work on HRI online.

· Give your Contractor your Property ID (NOT your PPSN
    or Local Property Tax PIN as these are important personal
    information).

·Your Contractor will enter the work details to HRI online.
    ·You should login to HRI online to check that the work details
    have been entered (a sample of the HRI online login screen is
    at Appendix 1 on page

here's a question, if the contractor is not tax compliant or doesn't want to participate in the scheme, then should he or she be charging 13.5% vat in the first place?

regarding your question. the answer is no to all, because i didn't know back on November that i had to let him know in advance, i thought i just needed an invoice. however he is tax compliant and shouldn't have a problem.

can the contractor enter a date for starting the job before the date is enters it on the website.

example, home-owner tells the contractor he/she is going to be using the HRI scheme.
    contractor starts work on week 1, on week2 contractor enters the details of the work with a start date of week 1. is this allowed.

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    here's a question, if the contractor is not tax compliant or doesn't want to participate in the scheme, then should he or she be charging 13.5% vat in the first place?

regarding your question. the answer is no to all, because i didn't know back on November that i had to let him in advance, i thought i just needed an invoice. however he is tax compliant and shouldn't have a problem.

can the contractor enter a date for starting the job before the date is enters it on the website.

example, home-owner tells the contractor he/she is going to be using the HRI scheme.
    contractor starts work on week 1, on week2 contractor enters the details of the work with a start date of week 1. is this allowed.

The link to the Revenue Guide, is

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/hri/hri-homeowner-faqs.html

Now that everything is live, the steps to follow are

Agree the Works to be carried out, and give Contractor/s your LPT Ref No.

Check, BEFORE WORKS START, that the details have been entered, a Unique Ref. No. for your Job, will have issued also.

As payments are made, check they are entered, individually.

Regarding the Home Renovation Incentive the May 8 deadline has been extended to May 31st, even though Revenue have not updated their website with this information. Revenue have told me they advertised the extended deadline in local press

• Advertisement

thanks, but do you have any links to the local press or a website that says 31 may

Advertisement