Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cooler mod ?

• 25-05-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi guys, i am looking to install a cooler in a HTPC case, however the cooler i have picked is about 12mm to tall for the case in question, now its only the very top copper tips that are in the way, if i trim them back level with the cooler fins the fit would be perfect. Can i just cut the copper at the lelvel of the top fin and leave it as is, or would i need to crimp the top again to close the heatpipe up, or is the copper solid.

thanks in advance for any advice,

apophis :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭game4it70

You cant cut/trim heatpipes as there is some sort of fluid inside them (under a certain pressure too) as far as i know.

I'd say your best bet is to try and return it or pick a low-profile one that fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

hi game4it70, many thanks for the reply, if i removed some of the cooler fins and lowered the height that way, could i then just bend over the heatpipes rather than cut into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Jesus. Just cut a hole in your case instead and have it sticking out like a hot-rod engine :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

apophis wrote: »
    hi game4it70, many thanks for the reply, if i removed some of the cooler fins and lowered the height that way, could i then just bend over the heatpipes rather than cut into them.

Dont mess with the fins, or more importantly, the heatpipes. Messing/modding with them will ruin the performance of the cooler. Just buy a new one

HI Deano12345, many thanks for your reply, i don`t seem to have much choice, i need a quiet and suitable cooler for a phenom II x4 965 cpu in a antec fusion htpc, i had the cpu from my old pc case along with other parts, but i cannot seem to be able to source a good but quiet, low profile cooler to suit my needs, believe me i don`t want to go messing with a cooler of any sort but as its only a 12 to 15mm modification in height i may have to give it a go, i think just a few fins would need to be removed.
    If anyone can recommend a low profile cooler for a phenom II x4 965 125watt cpu to suit this case i would be very grateful indeed. I have googled and searched but i have come up empty.

• Advertisement

HI Deano12345, many thanks for your reply, i don`t seem to have much choice, i need a quiet and suitable cooler for a phenom II x4 965 cpu in a antec fusion htpc, i had the cpu from my old pc case along with other parts, but i cannot seem to be able to source a good but quiet, low profile cooler to suit my needs, believe me i don`t want to go messing with a cooler of any sort but as its only a 12 to 15mm modification in height i may have to give it a go, i think just a few fins would need to be removed.
    If anyone can recommend a low profile cooler for a phenom II x4 965 125watt cpu to suit this case i would be very grateful indeed. I have googled and searched but i have come up empty.

Honestly, dont go removing fins, it will ruin the cooler, theres an old review knocking around of someone who did that and complained when his CPU ran at 70+ degrees (IIRC, or something stupid like that).

I imagine something like the Noctua C12/C14 would work fine for a HTPC case

Thanks for the recommendation Deano12345, but that cooler is 130mm in height and if my measurements are correct and i think they are dead on, i have a clearance to the lid of the case of 115mm exactly.
    thanks for trying anyway.

Thanks for the recommendation Deano12345, but that cooler is 130mm in height and if my measurements are correct and i think they are dead on, i have a clearance to the lid of the case of 115mm exactly.
    thanks for trying anyway.

thats with both fans on the C14, its actual height without the fan is 105mm, and putting the bottom fan on the C14 wouldnt take up any space at all, since its sits between the coolers base, and the bottom of the fin array

Thanks Deano12345, for your help and patience, but i don`t think i will clear my memory modules with the fan on the bottom, thats a big fan (140mm x 25mm), and also in effect if i remove a fan from this coolers design, am i not modding it in some way anyway, if you see my point. Also i think the price of that cooler is a bit over the top.
    thanks again anyway, you input is very much appreciated.

Thanks Deano12345, for your help and patience, but i don`t think i will clear my memory modules with the fan on the bottom, thats a big fan (140mm x 25mm), and also in effect if i remove a fan from this coolers design, am i not modding it in some way anyway, if you see my point. Also i think the price of that cooler is a bit over the top.
    thanks again anyway, you input is very much appreciated.

It's designed to be run with either one or two fans, its actaully stated on Noctuas site somewhere, as well as that, the cooler doesnt go out over your ram, it goes towards the rear of your case, where the IO shield is. Definitely isnt cheap, no Noctua product is though :o

Look into some coolers with 92mm fans instead maybe, like the Scythe (Mini ?) ninja and the AC Freezer Pro. Because they only have 92mm fans, they shouldnt be 105+mm tall, they are fairly cheap too (around 20-30 euro)

• Advertisement
Advertisement