Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

laptop cpu upgrade

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Theoretically it would work, but there could be additonal compatibility issues caused by the chipset or BIOS. Also bear in mind that most upgrade options have a higher TDP than the Pentium M which means more heat for the tiny cooling system to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Would a paste such as this help with the cooling.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-MX-3-Thermal-Compound/dp/B002EHIJP0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1300231843&sr=8-8

I suppose there would be a hit on the battery life as well, even if it worked.

Yup. Then again newer CPUs tend to have more aggressive power-saving and also do the same amount of work in a shorter space of time before dropping back down to idle, so if you were doing some CPU-intensive tasks the T7700 could theoretically improve battery life over the current CPU ;)

That paste could improve the speed at which heat is transferred to the cooler, but if the cooler can't shift that heat... it should be okay, but (as with any hot-chip portable) be wary of dust buildup!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

I always try and have the laptop on a flat surface to reduce dust build-up.

So is there any way to determine if the Bios and chipset compatibility. It would be an expensive mistake if I got it wrong.

See if you can dig up any success stories. I've seen a lot of peeps say they're upgrading their old Ex5220 to a T7*00, but I see neither failures nor success stories afterward...

• Advertisement
Advertisement