Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I have an idea for an app...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

fergalr wrote: »
    Probably even trying to agree ground rules that make sense to everyone, and don't invite drawn-out meta-discussion, would be tough.

To be blunt, over the past year I've been finding I'm getting more and more tired modding a development forum as a developer when half the threads appear to be "solve my college assignment for me" and the other half are "do free work for me", neither of which is of any interest to me as a developer (well, I prefer engineer, but choose your own professional title is a perennial game for this industry :) ).

The few threads of interest have been the exception to this, but they've all been threads that started talking about development (or wound up there on a tangent), whether about practices or the local development community or anything else to do with the actual job. I don't mind seeing threads where old hands mentor new ones - that's quite beneficial and nice to see. But the threads that just seem to treat the forum as a free resource -- I'm of the personal opinion that they should just be banned outright. But decisions like that taken solo don't often work out well, so I thought discussing it with other developers might be worth a try...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Did you even read his post?
    The same thought crossed my mind, TBH.
    Sparks wrote: »
    I don't mind seeing threads where old hands mentor new ones - that's quite beneficial and nice to see. But the threads that just seem to treat the forum as a free resource -- I'm of the personal opinion that they should just be banned outright. But decisions like that taken solo don't often work out well, so I thought discussing it with other developers might be worth a try...
    I don't mind someone trying to use the forum as a free resource - in reality, if you're seeking advice on a coding issue, that's what you're doing, isn't it?

I've long been a fan of this article. What it imparts about asking questions online is something that should be adapted and recommended for all fields of research. But for something like that to work, people have to actually read it and as we saw in the little tangent in this thread, if they're not going to even read the responses made to their posts, the chances are that they're not going to read this.

So on one side I'm loathed to see a blanket ban, because there are people who do make the effort not to abuse this and other fora when they come with their questions. There are people who want to genuinely take on technical business partners and realize the onus is on them to sell the idea. Or who have done their homework and are not simply coming here to waste everyone's time with some vague idea they had in the pub the night before.

What I suggested earlier may be a way to quickly filter out these good 'eggs' from the bad; anyone who doesn't follow the guidelines can be quickly identified, reported and nuked.

But I can also recognise that it may be easier simply to impose an outright ban because these good 'eggs' are so rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I came across this simple site a few days ago, it gives a rough guide to what it costs to build an app.

It could be a good starting point for people wondering what it costs.

http://howmuchtomakeanapp.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

jester77 wrote: »
    I came across this simple site a few days ago, it gives a rough guide to what it costs to build an app.

It could be a good starting point for people wondering what it costs.

http://howmuchtomakeanapp.com/

That's a nice, friendly site which effectively says "Absolute minimum: $5000, more like $10,000-20,000 if you want anything more complicated than bare bones functionality on a single platform".

Which you'll see in most of the posts here :)

And it's probably the fault of the thread title, but this thread wasn't actually about building apps, but whether or not we should allow the "I have an idea" genre of threads in the forum anymore :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

A how to ask for advice thread would be great, and freedom to rip the living piss out of someone who posts a stupid idea for an app thread would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

And it's probably the fault of the thread title, but this thread wasn't actually about building apps, but whether or not we should allow the "I have an idea" genre of threads in the forum anymore :)
    Note that, this isn't limited to apps alone (the title of this thread could also read "I have an idea for a Web site"), but apps in particular are in vogue for the get-rich-quick brigade and the vast majority of these threads appear to be about them.

I'm not blaming you TC, I couldn't think of a clearer title myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm not blaming you TC, I couldn't think of a clearer title myself...

ah so a poor specification had lead to an undesirable result :D

Advertisement