Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Build won't POST - Help!

• 21-10-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi

I built a budget PC for use as a Plex server. I haven't got much experience building PCs so not sure where or what to do. It powers up fine but there is nothing displayed on the monitor. The parts used are below:

CPU - AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz
    MOBO - ASUS A55BM-A Micro ATX
    MEMORY - 2 X 2GB RAM DDR
    HDD - WD Scorpio 160GB 7200 3.5"
    CASE - Antec NSK1380 Case with 300W PSU

Would anyone be willing to help? I can meet up in Dublin/Kildare and pay for help if required as I pretty much am out of ideas. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭game4it70

That cpu doesn't have have onboard graphics so you need a separate graphics card.
    Are you using one?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

I'm not. I didn't think I needed one just to boot up, do I need one for this? Why does the mobo have a HDMI port if it doesn't work?

Cadn yu recvommedn a cheap GPU for this build?

Yes you do.The hdmi on the mobo would be used for display if your cpu had onboard.

If your not gaming then any cheap pci express card like this would do or you could use adverts.ie to find one.

Thanks. I will give that a go. I have a feeling this is only the first of many problems though!!

Would this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0098Z46D0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A22FPOI1YT3RX1# - do the job to boot the system and load an operating system?

It's a micro atx case so the space is quote tight!

• Advertisement

It should work but its very old tech and not sure if newer operating systems would have drivers for it.Its a "pci" card so it would fit in the lowest slot of mobo.

Ideally you want a "pci-e/pci express" card which dosen't need a power connection from you power supply as its a very low wattage model.

Another option would be to send back the cpu and get another one from amd (an apu) that has onboard graphics.

Well the GPU arrived and I've installed it. Still nothing on the screen though? I've checked the monitor and cables and they are all fine.

Would anyone like to help a brother out or know where I could take it to get it fixed/working??

Edit: This is the GPU I installed - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004TCM634/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

CinSoots wrote: »
    Well the GPU arrived and I've installed it. Still nothing on the screen though? I've checked the monitor and cables and they are all fine.

Would anyone like to help a brother out or know where I could take it to get it fixed/working??

Have you plugged the monitor into the back of the motherboard or the gpu? it needs to go into the gpu

Into the GPU.

Anyone know anywhere in the Kildare/Dublin area that I could go for some help with this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seems the mobo has a status LED, check the manual for its outputs. May tell you why its not booting. Also if you have a beeper connect that for diagnostic beeps.

Is the CPU Fan connected to the CPU header? It may not do anything if you dont have it on that particular header.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

Has happened to me in the past, bought a ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0, AM3+, ATX. It was DOA. Didn't receive the rest of the parts until a day after the warranty had expired on the board, at the time didn't realise that the whole "warranty" thing isn't worth sweet f*ck all if it's not classified as fair usage. What happened to me was: Set up pc, started it up, light on motherboard came on - was happy to see this. Plugged in hdmi, started it up and nothing appeared. Went through everything on the checklist below, changed monitor, changed power-supply, changed ram, tested gpu(currently using until my new pc arrives) and still didn't work. It's rare enough but it happens, nothing anyone can do about that.

Anyway, this is a good checklist:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Also could try checking with another power-supply if you have another one.

If none of that works, the board is most likely dead.

I hope you manage to get yours fixed, I was extremely annoyed about mine and still am that I never got it replaced.

Advertisement