Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Got BSOD today. :( security essentials :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

For those following, a bunch of new stuff for Star Citizen was shown off at Gamescon. Some of it is live right now (Constellation variants. I'm having a hard time choosing between the Aquila and the Andromeda), with a bunch of other things (co-op and racing modes for Arena Commander, as well as new hangars) to follow in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Serephucus wrote: »
    For those following, a bunch of new stuff for Star Citizen was shown off at Gamescon. Some of it is live right now (Constellation variants. I'm having a hard time choosing between the Aquila and the Andromeda), with a bunch of other things (co-op and racing modes for Arena Commander, as well as new hangars) to follow in the next few weeks.

Constellation bridge is too fat, makes it look like a beached whale or something :pac:

hey guys odd one but maybe you can help my broad band is insanely slow.
    Is there any where I could bring my pc to download my steam catalog? as it'll take a month a this rate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Having only recently watched the original Star Wars trilogy for the first time, I'm intrigued by Star Citizen, what's the craic with it? How do I play it? Will it run on a 270?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

hey guys odd one but maybe you can help my broad band is insanely slow.
    Is there any where I could bring my pc to download my steam catalog? as it'll take a month a this rate :(
    Is the problem with your actual broadband being too slow or is Steam just really slow at downloading. If it's the latter then you can try changing your server location to somewhere in eastern europe. Often speeds it up nicely. You can change that via settings.

Is the problem with your actual broadband being too slow or is Steam just really slow at downloading. If it's the latter then you can try changing your server location to somewhere in eastern europe. Often speeds it up nicely. You can change that via settings.

I've got a broad band speed of

3693129223.png

It'le take 2 months download all my games...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

3693129223.png

It'le take 2 months download all my games...

Find a relative with UPC.
    bassey wrote: »
    Having only recently watched the original Star Wars trilogy for the first time, I'm intrigued by Star Citizen, what's the craic with it? How do I play it? Will it run on a 270?

Buy a game package, its basically prepurchasing, following a huge kickstarter. Its not really risky though as they've already done loads of work and are VERY open with development.

Runs fine on my 7870 so itll be fine on a 270 too. For now anyways, they keep increasing graphical fidelity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Haswell-E and DDR4 ram goes on sale at the end of the month.

index.php?ct=news&action=file&id=6992

It looks like the 6 core 12 thread i7-5820K could make a sensible long term investment, if the future of gaming is indeed about loads of software threads. It's hard to know as Intel's die shrink, Broadwell, and next gen architecture, Skylake, are only hyperthreaded quad cores (as far as I'm aware) and will probably delay the move beyond 4 cores in games at any rate. Will anybody be tempted to buy Haswell-E, this year or next?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It looks like the 6 core 12 thread i7-5820K could make a sensible long term investment, if the future of gaming is indeed about loads of software threads. It's hard to know as Intel's die shrink, Broadwell, and next gen architecture, Skylake, are only hyperthreaded quad cores (as far as I'm aware) and will probably delay the move beyond 4 cores in games at any rate. Will anybody be tempted to buy Haswell-E, this year or next?

Somewhat tempted. There are a couple of things that I do that 6 cores would be handy for right now but I don't do them very often. It feels a bit like future proofing for the sake of future proofing though coming from a Sandy Bridge i5 which really doesn't feel long in the tooth yet to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Depending on how the nvidia 800 series performs, I might pick up a third GTX 780 second hand and go tri SLI instead of changing. I would like to upgrade to the 5820k, but the crippled PCIe config is putting me off. Might be cheaper to flog my 780's and go with 880's.

I believe Broadwell will use DDR3 so when Skylake is released DDR4 should become more mainstream and affordable. Considering this, and the fact Broadwell will probably be a small increase in performance and similar clock speeds to Haswell, I can't see gaming requiring anything more powerful than nesf's Sandy Bridge i5 any time soon. I would love to upgrade but I feel uncertain about when and what to buy.

Intel have no competition from AMD, so I would guess Broadwell will be a 10% increase at best. And no matter when you upgrade, there will be a newer, faster, cheaper all singing all dancing version on the horizon.:)

That's true. However, we are on the cusp of DDR4 which makes me think I should get Haswell E, or wait for Skylake. The rig I have is long in the tooth but the only game I'm interested in at the moment is Elite Dangerous. I am waiting for the full release before I play (I've paid enough already without paying to Beta test) and it would seem from what I've read I will be able to play the game OK on the system I have. All the games I own play perfectly fine on my current system so I can wait, unless Elite beats the crap out of my PC. I have considered getting a AMD FX-6300 and a cheap board and ram as a stopgap, and upgrade the lot in a 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Hoping to go back to college as a mature student next year, so whatever platform my next build is on has to last 4-5 years (with an occasional GPU upgrade or whatever), so I'm thinking Haswell-E would make sense in the long run.... Just don't have the cash at the moment though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Not sure if already posted, some might find this an interesting teaser post.
    DX12:
    http://techoftomorrow.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/73-directx-12-is-here-intel-demonstrates-microsofts-api-at-siggraph-2014/

Arma engine would definitely get a performance boost with this, the amount of drawcalls required to draw all of these objects... crazy.

Pretty much the only game I can't max out at the moment (that I actually play) is Star Citizen. Even then, that's GPU bound.

A cheap six-core is certainly nice, but at the end of the day there are better things I could spend the money on - bigger SSD, better monitor, another GPU - and there's always Skylake in the future anyway.

Windows 8.1 Update Crippling PCs With BSOD, Microsoft Suggests You Roll Back
    Since the patch rollout, it's been discovered that four individual updates are causing random BSoD issues for its users, with KB2982791, a kernel-mode related driver, being the biggest culprit. Because of the bug's severity, Microsoft is recommending that anyone who updated go and uninstall a couple of the specific updates, or rollback using Windows Restore.

The updates that should be uninstalled are:

2982791 MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 12, 2014
    2970228 Update to support the new currency symbol for the Russian ruble in Windows
    2975719 August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2
    2975331 August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012

You can uninstall these updates in much the same way you uninstall any app; the difference is that once you're in the "Programs and Features" section, you'll need to click on "View installed updates" on the left. While it's mostly recommended that you uninstall 2982791, you may wish to uninstall the others as well, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have this monitor.

Thinking of selling it and going 4K. But there's one big issue - the monitor has an entire line of dead pixels running down in around the left-middle area. It looks obvious on web pages etc, but in games I don't really even notice it anymore. In general in fact I don't really mind it.

Just wondering what you reckon would be a fair price to ask for it given the circumstances. I was thinking about €180.

That must be less than 1-2 years old?:confused:

I think I read AOC have a 3 year warranty? You might find it difficult to shift with a line of dead pixels, perhaps drop AOC an email?

Edit: warranty info here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Interesting actually. I bought it pre-owned so I figure I'm out of luck.

Worth a look. I might be interested, but not with a bunch of dead pixels, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I stopped updating the day they broke my audio drivers. Took me ages to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I was wondering why I wasn't getting any updates for the Off-Topic thread in the past 2 weeks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭ Rayan Yellow Whaler

I just started a thread about this, but maybe someone here could help. I need to buy an LGA1150 motherboard in Dublin tomorrow, if at all possible. Would anyone have any ideas where to look?

Unlikely harvey norman/PC world will stock-best option is to try a few of the smaller PC repair places, there are (were?) a few on Camden St. Quick search online & hit the phone would be your best bet. Alternatively maybe give a look on Adverts.ie or done deal etc. for one in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

I am hoping to strip down my pc to finally install a new psu to resolve the failing to boot up issue have been happening for the the last few months, and give it a bit of a clean.

my question is what should i use to clean the old thermal paste off the CPU and cooler, that would be readily available in most towns?

Isopropyl Alcohol from Maplins would do the job. Give it a rub with a few Q-tips and wipe it clean with a lint free cloth. I used the cleaning cloth that comes with glasses form Specsavers and it did the job nicely. Another option is to use a coffee filter as it is also lint free, never tried it though (espresso ftw :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

glynf wrote: »
    Isopropyl Alcohol from Maplins would do the job. Give it a rub with a few Q-tips and wipe it clean with a lint free cloth. I used the cleaning cloth that comes with glasses form Specsavers and it did the job nicely. Another option is to use a coffee filter as it is also lint free, never tried it though (espresso ftw :) )

Get nail varnish remover from poundworld , or steal some of your mum/sis , works just as well and is much cheaper!

• Advertisement

I read that Nail varnish has all kinds of ****e in it apart from acetone, inc. mineral oils which can cause corrosion/pitting of metal. Not sure if it would make any difference if it was rubbed off straight away, wouldn't chance it personally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement