Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Magazine Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Brian Elliott

Issue 100 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

JkezE6C.jpg

In this month's edition, FSM has feature-length articles on:
    - Fighting Spirit Magazine's Top 100 wrestlers since the publication first hit the shelves
    - Daniel Bryan, and how his storyline screwjob compares to real-life incidents of the past
    - Damien Sandow, and how WWE must make use of his multi-faceted character
    - Big Van Vader, and how he made a fearsome reputation before major runs in WCW and the WWF
    - UK wrestling sensation El Ligero, who takes us on a journey into the life of a full-time British wrestler

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. Also, in this month's columns, Jim Cornette writes about a fascinating piece of wrestling history that even he had not previously encountered, and Nick “Magnus” Aldis contrasts the comedic and the curious with stories about his time in TNA. Furthermore, the former Razor Ramon, Scott Hall, goes in-depth with his tips on how UK rookies can improve his or her skills.

Thank you for your continued support. Please let us know what you'd like to see in FSM by tweeting editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor.

Issue 101 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

DVXNnEM.jpg

- WWE's plans for 2014, including the possible return of Hulk Hogan and the February launch of the WWE network
    - Goldust and Cody Rhodes, and how both men are now doing the best work of their careers
    - New TNA World championMagnus, and how it's been a banner year for British grapplers
    - How WWE's problems are all too often coming because they follow the culture of other genres
    - The nWo Take Over Tour, and how it turned into a disaster despite the presence of Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and Sean Waltman
    - Mad Dog Vachon, and the incredible life he led as one of pro wrestling's greatest characters
    - World of Sport legend Les Kellett, who is one of the most enigmatic performers in British wrestling history

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. Also, in this month's columns, Jim Cornette writes about his motivation for the February trip to the UK, and Nick “Magnus” Aldis reflects on three British wrestling personalities who were vital in his development as a pro wrestler.

Thank you for your continued support throughout 2013. If there is a feature, interview or column that you'd like to see in FSM, let us know by tweeting editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor.

Issue 102 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

mNUnN2O.jpg

- Batista, and the impact that “The Animal” could have now that he has returned to WWE
    - The WWF National Expansion, and how 1984 gave wrestling a glimpse of its future
    - The Royal Rumble, and the fond memories that wrestling stars and members of the media have of the event
    - Ryback, who gives a frank interview on why his heel character works, and the impressive goals he has set himself for 2014
    - Georges St-Pierre, and the struggle to carry the burden of being a champion and drawing card in both MMA and pro wrestling
    - World of Sport great Mal Sanders, who is the only person to hold two televised victories over Mick McManus

This month also features the results of the FSM Reader Awards 2013, with categories for both international and UK pro wrestling and MMA. Our cover shows that CM Punk took one award – but which one?

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. Also, in this month's column, Jim Cornette explains how much the battle royal means a lot to him, as it was the attraction at his first live wrestling show as a fan. Also, in a departure from his column, FSM grills Nick “Magnus” Aldis about his newly-won TNA title, the red-tape he fought to achieve it, and whether he plans to remain in TNA for the foreseeable future. “Diamond” Dallas Page is also on hand to explain what DDPYoga can do for both pro wrestlers, and those looking to improve their health and well-being.

Thank you for your continued support. If there is a feature, interview or column that you'd like to see in FSM, let us know by tweeting editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor.

I'd really love some feedback to any of the recent editions of FSM. Please let me know what you'd like to see in a future issue.

Issue 103 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

28HiHv5.jpg

- Bray Wyatt, as he looks set to have a huge role at WrestleMania
    - The Pay-Per-View business, and how it may be a thing of the past in the wake of the WWE Network
    - UFC executive Garry Cook, who talks to FSM about the company's own streaming station, Fight Pass, and his plans to expand the UFC in Europe and beyond
    - The late Mae Young, and the long-forgotten early career of one of the sport's most fascinating performers
    - ECW's The Night The Line Was Crossed, which began a craze for the company that took over dedicated fans in both the US and the UK
    - Ricky Knight, the father of NXT's Paige, who had a storied career in his own right, beginning at a major turning point in the UK wrestling landscape

In important news for non-US residents, FSM provides all the details you need to subscribe to the WWE Network on launch date in the United States – months before the service officially begins internationally.

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. This month's issue also includes two special Guest Columns. The first, by Chris Jericho, considers WWE's current direction and the curious case of Daniel Bryan, while the second, by Kurt Angle, goes into detail about his depression, substance abuse, and how his stint in rehab changed him. In his monthly column, Jim Cornette explains how pro wrestling's main revenue streams have changed down the years, and what the WWE Network means for the old stalwart, pay-per-view.

Thank you for your continued support. If there is a feature, interview or column that you'd like to see in FSM, let us know by tweeting editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

In important news for non-US residents, FSM provides all the details you need to subscribe to the WWE Network on launch date in the United States – months before the service officially begins internationally.

So you're confident it will be possible? There's been discussions on here that it might not be...

The relevant instructions were written for FSM by an I.T professional (to be specific, an Enterprise Solutions Architect) who has worked with huge public and private sector customers.

So, in a word, yes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The relevant instructions were written specifically for FSM by an I.T professional (to be specific, an Enterprise Solutions Architect) who has worked with huge public and private sector customers.

So, in a word, yes. :)

Going to get my first issue of FSM on lunch, Havent bought a wrestling mag since Poweslam in 2002

I'd love some feedback from you. Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Brian haven't read the full issue yet. But I am noticing an improvement/reinvigoration in the subject selection of the articles the last 3 issues or so. Before then things were getting a bit samey or not as imaginative as before. Obviously the addition of Bix and Mo helps there too.

Every article seems appealing rather than say having a number of Randy Orton career retrospective or something. :P

So cheers.

• Advertisement

Went to Easons in Heuston station,no FSM on sale :(

rovert wrote: »
    Brian haven't read the full issue yet. But I am noticing an improvement/reinvigoration in the subject selection of the articles the last 3 issues or so. Before then things were getting a bit samey or not as imaginative as before. Obviously the addition of Bix and Mo helps there too.

Every article seems appealing rather than say having a number of Randy Orton career retrospective or something. :P

So cheers.
    Thanks. Obviously, we're always looking to evolve, but so many fans have so many different tastes. I'm glad you were particularly interested in recent issues.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Went to Easons in Heuston station,no FSM on sale :(
    Some of the train/bus station WHSmiths/Easons don't carry the magazine on a regular basis. If you have any trouble finding FSM, you might find it cost/effort effective to have it delivered to you: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/magazine We have an excellent subscription service which will also save you money in the long run.

Ah subcribe yet, what if i didnt like it :) Ill have a look around town and see if I can pick up a copy

Rovert liking it is a good sign IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just picked up issue 103 a couple of hours ago. I'm getting this magazine since its inception in 2006 (open to correction on that) and I don't think I've ever missed an edition.

FSM gets all the stars ala Kurt Angle this month but it also goes out and gets some really left of centre personalities as well. For instance, Michelle Billington the former wife of Dynamite Kid gave an amazing interview only a few months ago.

The production is slick, the articles are varied and they're not half as moany as PowerSlam. They cover a nice wee bit of Japan and also delve back into the archives right up to the Attitude Era (in depth) and today.

I got mine in Liffey Valley, Joe. Blanch and O Connell street are always first in with the fresh batch too. I've a few back issues if you wanna have a gander.

Ill be passing O'Connell st on teh way home and will look for a copy. TBH just wanted something to read on the lunch break today

The column that Kurt Angle was the most interesting thing about the current issue for me. David Bixenspan summed it up well:
    The Angle column is pretty much a must-read. A complete 180 from everything he's said the last 7+ years since he left WWE, and that's a good thing. Very blunt, shockingly honest piece about the emotional issues that drove him to addiction and how he learned to identify and deal with them.

Not crazy Kurt or trying to live up to the veneer of the perfect Olympian.

He also "shoots" on various members of the roster past and present too.

Just picked it up from Easons on O'Connell St, looking forward to a good read on lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

Excellent issue this month,Brian. The magazine is just pure quality,delighted to spend money on it. I would urge anyone who enjoys wrestling to buy FSM and support the industry,it's a welcome break from reading stuff online. Great to see articles from Chris Jericho and Kurt Angle. I would like to see a feature on wrestling video collecting,focusing on silvervision and freemantle etc.

Only scratched the surface with it on Friday, The Wyatt cover article is well worth a read and really delves into just how hard a worker Bray Wyatt. As a Jericholic, I shall look forward to reading the Jericho interview. So far so good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Quick question. Do you give us a shout when our subscription is up? Can't exactly remember when I subscribed but pretty sure I've only a few months left. Just in case a copy doesn't show up some month!

Edit: never mind. Got a letter this morning :)

esprimo wrote: »
    Excellent issue this month,Brian. The magazine is just pure quality,delighted to spend money on it. I would urge anyone who enjoys wrestling to buy FSM and support the industry,it's a welcome break from reading stuff online. Great to see articles from Chris Jericho and Kurt Angle. I would like to see a feature on wrestling video collecting,focusing on silvervision and freemantle etc.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Issue 104 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

mEnhRaq.jpg

- WrestleMania, and how this year's show is the most risky since the very first
    - Shawn Michaels, who talks to FSM about some of his lesser-known career highlights
    - The Ultimate Warrior, as FSM digs into recently released courtroom papers to examine his relationship with Vince McMahon
    - Samoa Joe, and whether TNA can change the fortunes of the floundering “Samoan Submission Machine”
    - Jim Cornette, who speaks about his recent tour of the UK in a candid conversation
    - Zack Sabre Jr., who continues to blaze a trail across the world as one of the UK's greatest wrestlers
    - Bret Hart, who discusses the influence of the British scene on his early career, and how UK competitors fared in his home territory, Stampede Wrestling

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. This month's issue also includes Nick “Magnus” Aldis' monthly column, this time about how the #HandsomeVanMan crew puts in their time on the road. Also, comedian Chris Brooker writes about the incredible experience of attending WrestleMania XXV in Houston, Texas.

Issue 105 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

21o3hvm.jpg

- The Shield and its prospects, both as a group and as future singles stars
    - The post-WrestleMania period, in which WWE will bring in fresh talent from NXT
    - Fandango, who talks to FSM about his careers goals
    - The new talent in TNA, and how they have been given the licence to develop their characters
    - Spring Stampede 1999, which was arguably WCW's last great pay-per-view
    - Billy Robinson, who will long remain a legend to both pro wrestlers and martial artists after his recent passing
    - WCCW director Mickey Grant, who has taken his experience in pro wrestling into his own independent film-making

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. This month's issue also includes Nick “Magnus” Aldis' monthly column, this time questioning the label that has been attached to TNA's new talent, while Jim Cornette looks back on his time working at WrestleMania, both on-camera and behind the scenes. In a further Guest Column, Adrian “Lionheart” McCallum recounts the night he broke his neck after wrestling AJ Styles, and offers advice to anyone who steps into the ring.

Issue 106 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

t8fAHaz.jpg

- Daniel Bryan, assessing his role now that he is finally WWE World heavyweight champion
    - The Ultimate Warrior, as FSM explains why he remains the personification of sports entertainment
    - Paige, who talks to FSM about her Divas title win, WrestleMania XXXI, and her future
    - The Undertaker's WrestleMania Streak, and how pro wrestling bookers have handled the end of legendary reigns
    - Bully Ray, who sits down with FSM to discuss Impact Wrestling and the sport at large
    - Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat, who fought their most famous series of matches 25 years ago
    - CZW, as FSM visits for the Best Of The Best tournament, and to talk to new WWE signing Drake Younger
    - Warriors Of Wrestling, and how the New York City independent runs in the shadow of WWE
    - Adrian Street, who after years of wrestling in the USA remains one of the most recognisable British grapplers of all-time

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. This month's issue also includes Nick “Magnus” Aldis' monthly ponderings, while Jim Cornette writes about the Flair vs. Steamboat rivalry, and his memories of the late Owen Hart. Furthermore, former NXT Creative Assistant Rob Naylor gives FSM the lowdown on an Englishman in developmental who has a huge influence on WWE talent.

FSM appreciates your continued support, and thanks you for correspondence throughout the last month. If you'd like to get in touch, please tweet editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor or visit our Facebook discussion forum at www.tinyurl.com/JoinFSM

We've had some great feedback to even just the cover of the new issue, so I hope you'll agree. :)

We've been low on feedback for the last couple of issues, so I'd like to hear from you if there's something you'd enjoy seeing in a future edition. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Great as ever Brian. I always love Cornette's contributions, I think he really gets our humour over this side of the pond and plays up to it. I look forward to picking up this issue of FSM, don't think I've missed one yet.

Really enjoyed this issue. Shame your publishing schedule wasn't Wrestlemania friendly but I buy FSM for the columns and not weeks old news.

Reaching out to people like Ultimate Warrior's manager Steve Wilton is one of the reasons I love the magazine. Most others would have just wrote a Warrior piece and let that be that. Found the idea that Warrior commissioned a second ring jacket really sad.

Happy to see you gave six pages over to Adrian Street. He has a great story and very forward when it comes to telling it!

Good to see CZW get its due. No matter what your tastes or prejudices are if you are a Wrestling fan you should be happy the place exists. As Meltzer always says if you can get over in one place you should be able to get over in another. CZW is the hardest gig on the circuit. Also Drake cut one hell of a goodbye promo at Best of the Best.

Hope Bix's article inspires people (re)experience the Flair-Steamboat trilogy on the WWE Network after reading it. Kevin Sullivan's analogy at the end of the article was gold and only way you could have ended it.

Glad Rob Naylor made a return. His columns were among the better things in FSM early on in tenure. I think the cutesy NXT characters would have more of a Wrestling backbone if Rob was still there. Whether it would come from formal Creative direction or after class Rob handing out a DVD of some 80s Wrestler to emulate.

I really appreciate the feedback - thanks. I take it all on board!

• Advertisement

Issue 107 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

bhic6uI.jpg

- CM Punk, investigating his past to explain why he has now retired
    - Wade Barrett, and why becoming the bearer of bad news has finally led to something good
    - Stephanie McMahon-Levesque, who has become one of the most absorbing characters on WWE TV
    - Layla, as she explains what she sees in her WWE future
    - Steve Austin vs. The Undertaker, and their record TV rating of 15 years ago
    - Eric Young, who describes what winning the TNA World title has meant to him
    - Kazuchika Okada, as FSM illustrates what has made him arguably the best wrestler in the world right now
    - Steve Grey, who is nearing the end of his career, but will be remembered as one of the great technicians of his generation

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. This month's issue also includes Nick “Magnus” Aldis' response to last month's controversial column, while Jim Cornette pens a bumper edition of his column, reflecting on the past and present of pro wrestling in St. Louis – traditionally one of the sport's greatest cities. Furthermore, former NXT Creative Assistant Rob Naylor writes about his first-hand experience of how WWE views talent on the independent scene.

FSM truly appreciates your support and feedback, and is eager to print the articles that you would like to read. To make a suggestion, please tweet editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor or visit our Facebook discussion forum at www.tinyurl.com/JoinFSM

Advertisement