Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dearly departed....

• 06-06-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭cml387

Prompted by Old Goat,this thread will be dedicated to the passing of great cultural icons of our past.

And we've had some notable ones in the last few days:

Flick Colby (23 March 1946 – 26 May 2011).
    Choreographer of Pan's People on Top Of The Pops.

James Arness (May 26, 1923 – June 3, 2011).
    Played the part of Mat Dillon in "Gunsmoke".

Andrew Gold (August 2, 1951 – June 3, 2011).
    Songwriter famous for "Lonely Boy" and "Never let Her Slip Away"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I love Andrew Gold :( R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just saw that on the music vid thread. Not a fan as such but Gold certainly had a knack for a pop tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

chucken1 wrote: »
    I love Andrew Gold :( R.I.P
    inexplicably tearful on hearing Never Let her Slip Away. Part of the soundtrack of my life...RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

hate having to use this thread so quickly. :(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jun/08/voice-of-daleks-roy-skelton-dies

Roy Skelton, voice of Zippy & George of childrens Rainbow program and also the voice of the Dalak and Cybermen of Dr. Who fame passes away at 79.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Peter Falk died yesterday aged 83 :(

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/24/peter-falk-dies/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭cml387

Last week at work we had a major audit,which had management (and consequently us) on the verge of collective nervous breakdown.

It ended last Friday week,and a collective sugh of relief went around the place.
    I suggested that it would be interesting if the auditor,about to leave the building,turned around and said.....

Anyone remember Raw Sex? (the musical act, not the good old days! :pac: )

Simon Brint who was 50% of it (the other part being Rowland Rivron) died on May 29th but I only just found out thanks to an obit by Ade Edmundson published yesterday.

Here with Kirsty MacColl (sighs)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 katopyrgos

cml387 wrote: »
    Prompted by Old Goat,this thread will be dedicated to the passing of great cultural icons of our past.

And we've had some notable ones in the last few days:

Flick Colby (23 March 1946 – 26 May 2011).
    Choreographer of Pan's People on Top Of The Pops.

James Arness (May 26, 1923 – June 3, 2011).
    Played the part of Mat Dillon in "Gunsmoke".

Andrew Gold (August 2, 1951 – June 3, 2011).
    Songwriter famous for "Lonely Boy" and "Never let Her Slip Away"

I was very sad to read that James Arness had died, back in the late 50s and early 60s I nostalgically remember him in Gunsmoke on UTV. TV was relatively new in Ireland then. Brings back great memories.. a bit sad too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

And Betty Ford has passed away. She started the clinic to help addicts of drink and drugs after being addicted herself.

BBC television and radio presenter Rober Robinson died today aged 83.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Last week at work we had a major audit,which had management (and consequently us) on the verge of collective nervous breakdown.

It ended last Friday week,and a collective sugh of relief went around the place.
    I suggested that it would be interesting if the auditor,about to leave the building,turned around and said.....

Its late. I'm thick. Chucken and Cicero obviously understand this, please put me out of my misery and explain it :o

Incidentally when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about the price of funerals.

looksee wrote: »
    Its late. I'm thick. Chucken and Cicero obviously understand this, please put me out of my misery and explain it :o

Incidentally when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about the price of funerals.

Mr Rumpled-Coat Columbo had a trick whereby, when interviewing a suspect, he would end the interview and walk to the door.
    Just as the guilty party was breathing a sigh of relief,Columbo would turn around and say "..just one more thing".
    And this would be the question that would break the case,and the suspect would start sweating,and then we'd head for the commercial break.

BBC television and radio presenter Rober Robinson died today aged 83.
    I loved "Call my bluff". As a kid I'd sit on the floor with the dictionary and race to find the word before the reveal at the end of the round.
    I don't know if that was the spur to my love of words or if that was just an outlet to an existing passion but the program was a highlight of my week.
    Frank Muir and Robert Morley as captains of the teams were gleefully wicked in their definations of the obscure words.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I loved "Call my bluff". As a kid I'd sit on the floor with the dictionary and race to find the word before the reveal at the end of the round.
    I don't know if that was the spur to my love of words or if that was just an outlet to an existing passion but the program was a highlight of my week.
    Frank Muir and Robert Morley as captains of the teams were gleefully wicked in their definations of the obscure words.

His lovely,erudite chairing Brain Of Britain is a stand out for me.

Ah indeed! (as Rory Bremner might say)

Another parody, the famed pish and tish

Call my Bluff definitely a part of my teenage years, I hope he has a sense of humour. Of course the joke is that Stephen Fry would be so parodyable now.

Songwriter Jerry Leiber of Leiber & Stoller died overnight, here's one of his greatest tracks as performed by Donald Fagen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I saw a show (The Birth Of The Blues) based on the music of Lieber & Stoller, in The Half Moon Theatre (Mile End) about 30 years ago. J McCann sang On Broadway and Stand By Me. Showaddywaddy were the band and they belted out, Yakedy Yak, Charlie Brown, Love Potion No 9, Smokey Joe's Cafe, There Goes My Baby and other timeless numbers. I can honestly say that this was the best show that I've ever seen. All the songs are legend. May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Know it's a bit olde news but to update this thread...Bubba Smith....aka Hightower in the Police Academy films and former Super Bowl star.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14400604

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I hated Fantasy Island but this is sad.
    Ricardo Montalban, the star of 'Fantasy Island' and 'The Colbys', has died.

Montalban (right) with the late Hervé Villechaize - Stars of Fantasy Island
    The Mexican-born actor, who was 88, passed away at his home in Los Angeles on Wednesday, surrounded by his family.

Montalban's career began in Mexican theatre and he became one of Hollywood's only Latino stars in the 1940s.

His film credits included the 'Spy Kids' series, 'Cannonball Run II' and 'Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan'.

It was sad when it happened in January 2009 but we've got over it now.

• Advertisement

It might not be compleatly clear in the first post but this thread is about the freshly departed.
    If we were to start listing everyone who passed, ehhh, in the past, then we would have a monster thread on our hands.

LOL! I thought Montalban had died once already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I am an oul wan and the years seem like hours to me. :p:p

David Croft died today - who? If you sat in front of British comedy in the 70s and 80s you'll know him - 'Allo 'Allo, Dads Army, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Hi-Di-Hi, Are You being Served and a few more written with Jimmy Perry or Jeremy Lloyd.

mike65 wrote: »
    David Croft died today - who? If you sat in front of British comedy in the 70s and 80s you'll know him - 'Allo 'Allo, Dads Army, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Hi-Di-Hi, Are You being Served and a few more written with Jimmy Perry or Jeremy Lloyd.

Obituary here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Steve jobs .......... if not for him we would not be doing this. RIP.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tributes-flood-in-for-steve-jobs-2366230.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Spread wrote: »
    Steve jobs .......... if not for him we would not be doing this. RIP.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tributes-flood-in-for-steve-jobs-2366230.html

That's not necessarily true, but I don't want to derail this thread.

RIP Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I recokon these words of Steve's will be quoted, tweeted, broadcast and otherwise discussed by millions in the coming days...think it's as good advice as any...

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Full speech from 2005 here:

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

DAn Wheldon was killed in a massive car smash in USA. Racing cars around a track at 200mph is always going to be dangerous, but when a talented driver (or anyone else for that matter) is killed in the pursuit of a sport, it is very sad. The pictures from the Indy 300 race he was in were shown on TV and the crash looked particularly horrendous. I can only hope that this young man did not suffer too much. His fellow drivers were very complimentary to his memory and seemed to mean what they said genuinely.

RIP Dan Wheldon.

Advertisement