Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Do You Think Was The Best Tv Show Ever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Difficult Times

'Scuse me newbie here. My favourites of cancelled shows were:

Star Trek - The Next Generation
    Star Trek Voyager
    Stargate SG1
    The X-Files
    A Touch of Frost
    Morse (Although I do enjoy "Lewis")
    Murder in Suburbia

I have many more, which are all "chewing-gum for the brain", to me that's what TV should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Seinfeld - Greatest show ever

Alias - Criminally underrated. everyone thinks it's just Jennifer Garner looking hot, but it's probably the most influential show of the last decade.

Larry Sanders Show - Completely messed around by BBC when it was on, so hardly anyone watched it.

I'm Alan Partridge - Genius

Marion and Geoff - again, criminally overlooked. Rob Brydon's is probably the finest performance I've ever seen in a sitcom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Heroes was a class show

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carlosvan

father ted " i hear your a racist, howd you get interested in that kind of thing"

faulty towers " man with beard.... you are a hydias baboon!!!!"

bottom " can we consetrate on the bag......its hard to concentrait on anything els!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Seinfeld

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Father Ted
    Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
    The Wire
    The Shield
    Oz

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There are numerous shows:

As a child/teenager

NE's Multicoloured Swap Shop
    The Incredible Hulk
    6 Million Dollar Man
    The A Team

Last of the Summer Wine
    Fawlty Towers
    Black Adder
    The Young Ones

The Office
    Father Ted
    Royle Family
    Gavin & Stacey

In more recent times;

Stargate SG1 & Atlantis
    Lost (watched every single epidsode and then bought the box set)

But there is one show that i think surpasses all the rest of them and that was Only Fools & Horses!

Only Fools and Horses, Bottom and Men Behaving Badly were all excellent UK sitcoms, I thought (though Only Fools was the clear winner in my opinion).

The A-Team was great. It took itself so seriously, but it was just so over the top. Have a great laugh listening to Hannibal's one-liners and looking at his ridiculous disguises.

I just finished watching The Shield, and, though it does go a little silly at times (though it's rare enough), i found it to be very solidly written, with excellent, tiered storylines and plots and possible the greatest TV show finale I've seen since Only Fools. It really was an excellent show.

Arrested Development was good, too (though it got a bit too random and silly as it went on). Still some great laughs in it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

The West Wing
    The Wire
    Battlestar Galactica
    Firefly
    Breaking Bad
    Only Fools and Horses

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

they really jumped the gun with Jericho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Cracker,This Life, Six Feet Under,Central Park West, Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes, are a few that come to mind. Currently watching Dexter on FX and The Sopranos on Sky Atlantic as didn't catch them first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Band of Brothers AINEC

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Boston Public
    Cold Case
    Dawson's Creek
    ER
    Gilmore Girls
    Judging Amy
    Law & Order
    Third Watch
    Without A Trace
    The X Files

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Arrested Development

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

1970s C.h.i.p.s
    1980s Alf
    1990s seinfeld , yes i know it started in '89 and frasier
    2000s 24, entourage
    2010s not sure yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Has to be Lost. Never was there a more captivating series, that kept you guessing and wanting more after each episode. The constant discussions, even on Boards, after each episode and Season Finale. I think the fact that the Final Episode was simulcast during the US Showing says it all. Rarely has that ever been done, and it will probably never happen again with a TV Series!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Battlestar Galactica- everything about it! I watched the 4 seasons over the course of two months and it was real odyssey from beginning to end. Puts modern cinema to shame(seriously) :D

It had this vast epic scope mixed with brilliant memorable characters with a wonderful intriguing overarching concept: Find the Earth, what is it ? what year is it?

50000 survivors chased across the universe after a nuclear holocaust!

Even though it was sci fi, the characters and situations felt incredibly real,more real than most tv series, felt like you were on the journey with them. Everything felt deliberate and characters actions carried weight.
    and then there was the music! :D

The whole thing was just pure emotion, it was imo the only tv series to get everything spot on in all areas, lighting in a bottle

I often liken to its "great greak myth"

For me it was like "LOST" done right- as much as I love that series I went back to it for season 5 and it just felt forced , something was "off"

The whole notion of the supernatural, god imo felt consistent in BSG(from the beginning) but in LOST it felt all over the shop which went down dramatically after the end of season 4

I now recommend it ad nauseaum and they all say the same thing "I can't believe I've never seen this before"

Its kind of ruined all tv for me
    My brother and I struggle to find a better series after this one

ok love in rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

minder
    lovejoy
    auf wiedershen pet
    the professionals
    the sweeney................ aah proper telly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Splashwoman

Slightly embarrassed to admit but I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I had such a big crush on Angel the Vampire. Oh I'm scarlet even writing this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

BengaLover wrote: »
    Twin Peaks original series was pretty out there.
    This is the best art/tv show ever made!

Great characters :pac: great story :cool: mysterious :rolleyes: confusing :confused: tense :o scary :eek: funny :D !

Maybe it's the only art/tv show ever made...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Troyaferd

Twin Peaks and Buffy the Vampire Slayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Deadwood.

( Best of what has not been mentioned so far, I disagree with few posts as it happens. Everything that has been mentioned here has been good or very good, its been a great decade or so of television.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭crash davis

I'll go for the shows that I can watch again and again: Columbo, Only Fools and Horses and Star Trek:TNG.

Obviously there's classics I'm not mentioning but they're the ones I can just throw on at anytime.

Married with Children is up there for me for the laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Twin Peaks - the area where is was filmed has not changed at all and is well worth a visit if you are ever in the Pacific Northwest.

Prison Break - it got silly in series 3 but series 1 and 4 made up for it.

For comedy, Friends, it started off well and after a dip it came good again towards the end. I loved Frasier was good too.

American Gothic was brilliant aswell. Even when he was cast as Mike Brady in the Brady Bunch, I was still freaked out by Gary Cole!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

sopranos, the wire or the shield. although the wire takes a good while to get into

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

The Sopranos, what a show! Tony Soprano has to be one of the best characters ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

The Sopranos
    Seinfeld
    The Wire
    Arrested Development.
    The Shield
    Arrested Development.

5 best TV shows no longer on the air. Probably (along with Breaking Bad which is still running) the best ever in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Millennium - Great show and Lance Henriksen was a joy to watch. Vastly underrated actor.

Band of Brothers

Life - with Damien Lewis from Band of Brothers.

Buffy

Angel

Twin Peaks for its total originality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭vgv

Heckler wrote: »
    Millennium - Great show and Lance Henriksen was a joy to watch. Vastly underrated actor.

Good call I loved this show as well.Pity it only got 3 seasons.I think prefer it to Carters other more famous show the X-Files which I also loved.

Heckler wrote: »
    Twin Peaks for its total originality.

I have watched all of this show and I did enjoy the first season.But I think they dropped the ball in season 2.Too much attention was given to minor charachters and irrelevant storylines.

The Sopranos at its best was very good.Also South Park.

Advertisement