Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

names

Options
  • 18-10-2014 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi....just looking for people's opinions on the following names....

Boys; James, Adam or Dylan
    Girls; Emily or Lauren

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

user37 wrote: »

Girls; Emily or Lauren

Thanks

I love James, like Adam & not fussed on Dylan.
    Emily is so pretty - theres a lot of them about tho. I'm not mad about Lauren but I don't think its a horrible name or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

user37 wrote: »

Girls; Emily or Lauren

Thanks

Love all those names.
    Personally would like to have
    Dylan, Lauren and Emily on my list but they are getting v popular and OH isn't convinced by them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What do you think of shay or keelan or Jamie for a boy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I like all those names.
    Keelan is one of those I like but I am unsure about,it sounds very like Caoilfhionn and Caolán and i think it has the same etymology but I would think of it as a surname.
    I think it sounds very girlie as a 1st name.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Keelan is lovely but I would use it for a girl more so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

What do you think of shay or keelan or Jamie for a boy

Maybe I'm a bit old-school, but if I were to want to call a child Shay or Jamie, I'd probably call them James (or Seamus) and then maybe use the shortened version(s), depending on what suited them. (No reason you couldn't just register them as Shay or Jamie, of course, it's just a personal preference of mine.)

I don't like Keelan, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Kathnora

I'm the kind of person who doesn't like children being given shortened names like Bobby instead of Robert or Ollie for Oliver...a lot of people seem to be going for the "ie" sound at the end of names these days...agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Kathnora wrote: »
    I'm the kind of person who doesn't like children being given shortened names like Bobby instead of Robert or Ollie for Oliver...a lot of people seem to be going for the "ie" sound at the end of names these days...agree?

Yup, I find it irritating! Just give the child the full name on the birth certificate and call him/her the shortened one if you like. Millie and Maisie may be cute now but they have to grow up!

Advertisement