Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SSD faulty?

Options
  • 14-10-2014 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hi, my SSD died on me during the week and I received my new one today from Amazon. It's a Crucial M500 120GB. I had my PC backed up with Acronis and just installed my backup image to the new drive. I am having a lot of issues. Programs become unresponsive, Task Manager wont work. Only solution is to hit the power button and reboot. I have checked and the drive is on the latest firmware.

I have an old 500gb drive and installed the same image to that and all is working fine with no freezes etc.

Should I return the drive to Amazon for replacement or any other suggestions?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its quite possible that you've got corrupted files in your acronis backup and you've just restored those damaged files to your shiny new SSD.

try a fresh install of the OS and just restore your data and see how that goes.

EDIT: also use the acronis boot tool to do a zero write on the SSD first, just to be sure. I had an SSD that used to play up from time to time and that was the only way to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Thanks for the reply. I also used my backup image for the 500gb drive I had spare and there are no issues with that. Would that not rule out a corrupt backup? I will try a fresh install of the OS and see how it goes.

Fingers crossed, will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Just an update in case others experience this. Turns out my M500 and Acronis dont see eye to eye. I found an article where another guy had the same problems, so I just uninstalled Acronis and all is fine.

Advertisement