Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no power to oil burner

• 03-06-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

since the hot weather arrived i have not needed to use my heating but went to turn it on today and there is no power going to it..(red reset light is not on)

all trip switches are up so i am lost ...any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭.243

either the thermostat on your boiler has tripped out,or you have a wall stat in the house turned down too low

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kend805

wall stats are both up to normal temp 25 degrees..how do i know the thermostat is tripped and how do i reset it.. it is making a really really low sound as if its on but the light is still off

kend805 wrote: »
    wall stats are both up to normal temp 25 degrees..how do i know the thermostat is tripped and how do i reset it.. it is making a really really low sound as if its on but the light is still off
    turn both wall stats up full,the stat on the boiler has a small grommet beside the dial (make sure the dial is not set too high) unscrew the grommet and press the small spring loaded button inside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

That low noise you are hearing is the circulating pump so power is present. Has the pressure dropped on the system? There might be a pressure gauge somewhere on the system at the boiler or in the hotpress.

@.243... the stat on the boiler is at 3.5 and the only thing to unscrew is the screw to adjust the dial.. is this what you mean as the grommet.

@johnniek.. the pressure gauge reads 0 but if i switch on the heating it rises to 25 psi and has stayed at that pressure since i switched it back off..(approx half an hour now)

• Advertisement

@.243... the stat on the boiler is at 3.5 and the only thing to unscrew is the screw to adjust the dial.. is this what you mean as the grommet.

@johnniek.. the pressure gauge reads 0 but if i switch on the heating it rises to 25 psi and has stayed at that pressure since i switched it back off..(approx half an hour now)
    Is there any way you could post a pic of the boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Did you try resetting the boiler itself.There is a button on the boiler.

Oh you said the reset button/light is not on.Have you a switch on the wall with a light ? (main)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.heating-parts.co.uk/Product.asp?Prd=236403

the high limit stat is behind the black knob
    unscrew it off and push the button

switched on at the mains

hit that reset button but still nothing

• Advertisement

Try to see if there is a firevalve near your burner, it might have been tripped.It happened to me the other day after we had our summer;).

thread here similar too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056658779

i looked at that other thread and the pictures are the same as mine except i have no red valve near my boiler only the reset button which you circled blue in the pictures,, not sure what you mean about firevalve either

i looked at that other thread and the pictures are the same as mine except i have no red valve near my boiler only the reset button which you circled blue in the pictures,, not sure what you mean about firevalve either

If you have a look on that other thread,you will see what I have anyway.Its a valve to shut off the fuel flow if there is a fire, so it should be somewhere on the line from the tank to the burner.Of course it may vary from model to model.Its a possibility anyway.

The way I reset it is to pull up on the valve, reset at the burner and viola! off she pops.(make sure there is power going to the burner first)

So you should have 3 resets, one inside the burner housing (Thermostat), one on the burner, the firevalve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

If the red reset button on the burner is not lite then you have no power getting to the burner, forget the fire valve. If the pump is running and you have pushed the reset on the high limit stat and still have nothing then you need a service call, i suggest an Oftec registered Engineer is the way to go.

As for the other thread that run for some time on the Appliances forum, if the OP of that thread had posted it here, or indeed the Mod had moved it here, then the OP would have had the right people reading it and may of saved themselves that service call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

The burner reset light is not on so I doubt it's a fuel problem. It needs to be determined first it the dual stat is receiving power or not, could be just a loose connection or maybe the burner control box is knackered.

or indeed the Mod had moved it here,

Is the burner running for a few seconds and then shutting off OP? but if its not running, then you're right, it not the FV.

I did think that other thread should be here too, but I wouldnt be bad mouthing the mods if I were you billy:D

jimmyw wrote: »
    I did think that other thread should be here too, but I wouldnt be bad mouthing the mods if I were you billy:D

Just stating the obvious, Mods move topics to relevent forums, and as the Mod concerned stated 2 days ago that
    Unless you know what you're doing, leave this to the technicians who have been trained in working on the burners
    then the obvious move was for the Mod to move it here. :rolleyes:

Just stating the obvious, Mods move topics to relevent forums, and as the Mod concerned stated 2 days ago that then the obvious move was for the Mod to move it here. :rolleyes:

You're right, I know they do.I was only joking, don't get offended.;)

All you can do OP is see if all that can be reset is, other than that a technician is in order.

@jimmy... found the valve and it looks exactly like your pic in the other thread but mine wont lift up at all and i dont want to adjust it..i can still hear the fan running when power is on and i tried the other 2 reset buttons ie. the red one on the burner and the one at the thermostat which is in my hotpress.. maybe its time for a phonecall

• Advertisement

@jimmy... found the valve and it looks exactly like your pic in the other thread but mine wont lift up at all and i dont want to adjust it..i can still hear the fan running when power is on and i tried the other 2 reset buttons ie. the red one on the burner and the one at the thermostat which is in my hotpress.. maybe its time for a phonecall

Is it close to the burner? If its the same, then it has to be pulled out if its not out already which it could be.Try to see can you push it in, if you can then its already out and thats not the problem.When mine was on, the pump was still going and the lights on the control panel were lit, so I assumed the heating was on util I touched the rads to find them cold.

yes its just beside the burner but it does not move in or out, also the burner does not evn attempt to start up,,the only noise is that of the fan,
    all wires look to be ok but i am no expert so will leave it up to one..

thanks everyone for trying to help

i can still hear the fan running when power is on

You have not mentioned the FAN is running before now, it was presumed that it was the circulating pump you could hear and you went along with that.
    If you’re now saying that the FAN is running then that’s a completely different scenario and as your burner is an RDB then i would look at replacing the photocell.

You have not mentioned the FAN is running before now, it was presumed that it was the circulating pump you could hear and you went along with that.
    If you’re now saying that the FAN is running then that’s a completely different scenario and as your burner is an RDB then i would look at replacing the photocell.

can you explain what the photocell is please

Please make it clear, the humming noise you hear is coming from the burner (red box attached to bottom of the boiler) or is it on the heating system ???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

If the burner was humming it would run to lock out, the fan on in constant pre-purge is
    a pe cell
    b solenoid
    c control box

DGOBS wrote: »
    If the burner was humming it would run to lock out, the fan on in constant pre-purge is
    a pe cell
    b solenoid
    c control box

If a RDB has a faulty pe cell then it will not always go to lock out, we've had this discusion in the past. :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

DGOBS wrote: »
    a pe cell
    b solenoid
    c control box

Exactly as I said, a pe cell can cause constant pre purge!

But if the burner was 'humming' it would suggest a failed pump or fault capacitor (motor on the outside) and would run to lockout

Sorry DGOBS, the original notification email i recieved of your reply read
    If the burner was humming it would run to lock out

You either edited your post shortly after the post or the notification system is bucked, anyway, my reply was in responce to that email.
    i can still hear the fan running when power is on

And i also read the OP posts as the humming noise was the fan running as in their previous post.

• Advertisement

the humming noise is not coming from the burner but from the heating system.. it sounds louder when i stand beside the exhaust vent at the rear of the unit

Advertisement