Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call for web broadband cash for EU poor areas

• 29-05-2002 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

From today's Financial Times

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1021991099462&p=1012571727102

The first 3 paragraphs:
    The European Commission is calling for the release of billions of euros in European Union and government funds to help finance the development of internet broadband in some of Europe's poorest regions - a move likely to provide succour to hard-pressed telecommunications companies.

Errki Liikanen, EU telecoms commissioner, wants to relax EU rules on the expenditure of EU funds on broadband deployment in "rural and remote areas" as well as calling for support from national governments.

But on Tuesday, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) argued that government financing for internet infrastructure was often mistaken.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Unfortunatly Ireland is a botomless pit with a big Ole the top and then a teeny weeny ole where it suppose to come out to you or I.
    basicaly if the eu was to put any money in here it still would not filter in the write direction or.. it would come through at a tricle.... .. . (like trying to squeeze blood from a stone!)

I must also add, that it seem whatever development happens, each time i hear adsl, broadband, it all seems to be Bussiness an not residential. (where`s the point in that!?)

Advertisement