Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indicator question

• 09-11-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

During the test, is it necessary to indicate when doing the reverse around the corner.
    Also is it necessary when beginning the turnabout.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

When doing the turnabout 100% you indicate, as you're pulling out from a parked poistion.

When reversing you can either use your hazards or indicate left. I indicated left but it's down to choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is no requirement to use indicators when reversing as a reversing vehicle has no right of way and must yield to all other vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Faith+1 wrote: »
    When doing the turnabout 100% you indicate, as you're pulling out from a parked poistion.

When reversing you can either use your hazards or indicate left. I indicated left but it's down to choice.

I don't think it's down to choice, I think you could get marked down for indicating when reversing around corner on test...I took a lot of lessons and passed my test first time, and did not indicate when reversing around the corner.

Babooshka wrote: »
    I don't think it's down to choice, I think you could get marked down for indicating when reversing around corner on test...I took a lot of lessons and passed my test first time, and did not indicate when reversing around the corner.

I indicated and didn't get marked, my instructor told me indicate. Obviously it's a 50/50, some people will say indicate while others say don't. The OP will just have to do what they're comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I always assumed it was like turning onto a one way street - no requirement to indicate but one can't be penalised if one chooses to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

An indicator is used to signal your intention. Your reverse lights will be doing that for you already. Do not indicate as well as that may cause confusion.
    Under no circumstances use your hazard lights as earlier suggested.

loobylou wrote: »
    An indicator is used to signal your intention. Your reverse lights will be doing that for you already. Do not indicate as well as that may cause confusion.

What chance do learners have when there's conflicting information among ADI's?? Some say indicate, others none at all, some say indicate left while some recommend hazards. It's a right cluster f*ck.
    Thank god I'm done with testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

if driving straight through a mini roundabout are you expected to indicate? I mean you are through it before you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not when reversing cause you have your back light(s)/brake light(s) to warn others of your reversing. Only time to use indicator is just before pulling in after junction before completing reverse. Observation is key and distance from kerb and how you lock wheel based on turn and kerb. Slow movement! Usually a left turn reverse. Ok to use clutch not too much acceleration, biting point important to hold onto it here. Depends on ground will determine how much clutch/accelerator only bare touch of gas.

Turnabout correct indicators are very important, treat it like you are pulling out. Observation, mirrors, slow movement, quick turn/lock of the wheel. All depends where you pulling in and if it on flat or hill and if it going right/left will determine the amount of wheel turning and indicator and checks and control. Slow movement, steer quickly. Usually pull up on the left like for reverse and turn right, straighten then right, and keep left/pull into left.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

loobylou wrote: »
    If reversing at a junction then I would always indicate.

If there is no junction then indicating could be taken to mean you are pulling in to kerb before you stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 clanpiper

Faith+1 wrote: »
    What chance do learners have when there's conflicting information among ADI's?? Some say indicate, others none at all, some say indicate left while some recommend hazards. It's a right cluster f*ck.
    Thank god I'm done with testing.

Strange..I've never seen an ADI on here advocating using hazards whilst doing a manoeuver in the category B test.
    Can you provide a link to any of the alleged posts please.
    Its a definite no, no.

No indicators are required when reversing around a corner. Your reverse lights are indication enough of your intention. If there is any traffic coming from the rear or moving in the road you are reversing into you stop and let that traffic proceed.

Advertisement