Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beats by Dre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Pique wrote: »
    ah but what headphones would you use to listen? :)

I'm fairly indifferent to be honest but I've been lead to believe that there is certain point above which spending any more money on headphones is pointless unless you use an amp, mobile or otherwise. So to answer your question probably something fairly cheap yet functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Do you want headphones or a fashion statement?

I was talking to a lad the other night and he genuinely admitted that he wanted to get the Beats because "they look unreal". He couldn't give a shít how they sounded, and said that the only reason he was buying them was because Dre was endorsing them.

It ranks up there with the stupidest things I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was talking to a lad the other night and he genuinely admitted that he wanted to get the Beats because "they look unreal". He couldn't give a shít how they sounded, and said that the only reason he was buying them was because Dre was endorsing them.

It ranks up there with the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Great to hear you can admit that they're **** Jimmy, now go tell Dre.:pac:

Saw a fella in his thirties wearing them yesterday and for some reason it just struck me as looking really odd. I, as I imagine most people, bought stupid ****e as a young fella, but you'd hope people would cop on a bit when they reach that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Nu-Centz wrote: »
    I was just given a pair of beats as a present, have to say they are not as bad as people are making out. I would never shell out that amount of money for them myself but i am quite fond of them! At least my own Sennheiser PX 200-II's are getting a break for a little bit.

Should of sold em' on adverts and gotten a pair of HD25's :)

Great to hear you can admit that they're **** Jimmy, now go tell Dre.:pac:

Saw a fella in his thirties wearing them yesterday and for some reason it just struck me as looking really odd. I, as I imagine most people, bought stupid ****e as a young fella, but you'd hope people would cop on a bit when they reach that age.

Hahaha I've been trying to tell Dre to concentrate on Detox but he insists that there's more money in the headphone market. Who am I to disagree? I love money.

I saw a guy on the bus the other day who had a pair. He was only in his teens but it was as clear as day that all he wanted them for was to look good. Never put them on once and I'm certain he was going to head around Dublin all day with them on his neck, without once listening to a single song.

Such a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

BeatsByDreLebronJames_3.jpg

Flip them over......et voila

geordilaforge2367.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Nu-Centz wrote: »
    I was just given a pair of beats as a present, have to say they are not as bad as people are making out. I would never shell out that amount of money for them myself but i am quite fond of them! At least my own Sennheiser PX 200-II's are getting a break for a little bit.

From what audiophiles say it's not that they are terrible necessarily, just that you could get so much more bang for your buck elsewhere.

Morf wrote: »
    From what audiophiles say it's not that they are terrible necessarily, just that you could get so much more bang for your buck elsewhere.

I'd imagine if you were given them as a present then you'd find them great. I know I probably would.

I wouldn't under any circumstances pay €250 for them with my own money. You could get far better ones for half the price and then spend the rest of the money upgrading your music player or buying some music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I just got back from Asia and nearly every single shop and stall had fake versions of these for sale-they're so prevalent that I'd now assume that any pair I see around is fake instead of the real deal which totally negates their appeal as a fashion statement.
    If you're going to shell out on big headphones you'd wear out and about then get something like this, probably about as good a bang for your buck as you'll get:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-380-Pro-Collapsible/dp/B001UE6I0G/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1338390084&sr=8-32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Headphones are very subjective, what some will like, others won't. It's nigh on impossible that one headphone will appeal to everyone in terms of styling and how it sounds. All you can do is research what is out there for yourself, come to your own conclusions and not be taken in on marketing and hype.

I listened to beats solo and my first instinct was they were broken. After trying another I released they weren't. Overbearing bass which ruined the mids, and non existent treble. Poor isolation and a build quality that doesn't inspire any confidence. For me at €200 they were a massive rip off and I was comparing it to something half it's price.

If you like the look of Beats, there is a cheaper alternative brand called fanny wangs, that seriously is their name. They are so similar that Monster tried and failed suing the manufacturer. They're 75% of the price of the solos in Harvey Normans; €149 compared to €199 and are meant to have the same internals.

If you want something that emphasises bass and sounds fun, the Aiaiai tma-1 and Creative Aurvana Live! are much better value that Beats. The Aiaiai has an all matt black and used by DJs as it places more emphasis on bass and lessens the presence of the treble. Sometimes drops to ~€80. The CAL is on amazon for £40 at the moment but it's got the same internal pieces as a now discontinued Denon model that retailed for over £100. It's still bass oriented, it's one downside it isn't as isolating as other headphones. Either one represent far better value for money than the beats.

This is a great starting point if you're looking to buy headphones and want to be smart with your money, it's a review of over 100 pairs of portable headphones. Neither the Solo or the Studio got in the top 20. http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/35/35057cca_Portableheadphoneschartljokerl.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Like they int cheap for counterfeit ones

I paid 270 for my beats pros there the DJ ones of amazon also they usely have the studio ones for about 200 euros

I give a word any of them with two tone colors are counterfeit

Solos white and black and prople

Studios the same + red , green , orange

Pros white and black

Detox black

If you were to speak in English, what would you be trying to tell us?:(

I'd imagine if you were given them as a present then you'd find them great. I know I probably would.

I wouldn't under any circumstances pay €250 for them with my own money. You could get far better ones for half the price and then spend the rest of the money upgrading your music player or buying some music.

I might possibly keep them, I certainly wouldn't wear them out though.

I already have cans I've paid €160 for that I feel are worth it. I'm not sure why I'd want to wear something that makes me look like a fashion victim with inferior sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nolan14

hey whats up im off to canada soon and im looking for a top notch pair of headphones are the dre beats worth it or is there better out there ya no $300 is alot of cash just for headphones aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Nolan14 wrote: »
    hey whats up im off to canada soon and im looking for a top notch pair of headphones are the dre beats worth it or is there better out there ya no $300 is alot of cash just for headphones aswell :)

If you're looking for top notch, stay away from Beats.

Wow really like i have done alot of research on them as i have never paid serious cash for a pair of headphones and some ppl say they break easily or sound quality isnt that good then some ppl say there the best on the market i guess it is really based on opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Wow really like i have done alot of research on them as i have never paid serious cash for a pair of headphones and some ppl say they break easily or sound quality isnt that good then some ppl say there the best on the market i guess it is really based on opinion.

Most reputable reviewers all agree there are far better headphones for the same price, even less.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd recommend Sennheiser, I got a set of their earphones and they're great. Tried the Beats Solo HD before and I thought they were pretty crap. Way too much bass.

Check this out, specifically the summary at the end of the first (very long) post

hmmm sennheiser are like dj headphones and i listen too all generes of music but more trance and house etc i just dont wanna waste $300 on them and then few weeks down the line they break or sound like any other set of headphones ya no

hmmm sennheiser are like dj headphones and i listen too all generes of music but more trance and house etc i just dont wanna waste $300 on them and then few weeks down the line they break or sound like any other set of headphones ya no

DJ's use high-end Sennheisers because they are really good.

If you spend that much on Sennheiser HD25 II's then you shouldn't be disappointed. All the parts in this model can be replaced individually but it's not known for having poor build quality.

It will sound like a very accurate pair of headphones but still with good bass.

• Advertisement

well it's between beats and sennheiser now $300 to $350 is my budget for headphones so u guys arent recomending the beats at all so they really are **** quality and bad sound?

well it's between beats and sennheiser now $300 to $350 is my budget for headphones so u guys arent recomending the beats at all so they really are **** quality and bad sound?

No they are not bad quality or sound but they are way overpriced for the sound and quality you get. Do yourself a favour get a pair of HD25's for the same money!

Limericks wrote: »
    No they are not bad quality or sound but they are way overpriced for the sound and quality you get. Do yourself a favour get a pair of HD25's for the same money!

but they look soooooo good looking ya no and every 1 has them i mean they wouldnt be popular if they wore not any good ya no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Let's just say if the same headphones were called Beats By Daniel O' Donnell I don't think the same people raving about them now would be so enthusiastic about them - go with the Sennheisers they're not trying to con you and they've been making studio quality headphones for a lot longer.

but they look soooooo good looking ya no and every 1 has them i mean they wouldnt be popular if they wore not any good ya no

They are popular because of the massive amount of advertising behind them.

Take this example, red bull is popular mostly because of it's billion dollar advertising campaign. A can can cost 1.50-2 euro each meanwhile you can get a can of KX which is the same thing for about 50 cent. Which would you go for? Personally I would get the KX.

If you are looking for a fashion accessory then by all means get the beats but if you want quality for your money get the sennheisers.

Limericks wrote: »
    They are popular because of the massive amount of advertising behind them.

Take this example, red bull is popular mostly because of it's billion dollar advertising campaign. A can can cost 1.50-2 euro each meanwhile you can get a can of KX which is the same thing for about 50 cent. Which would you go for? Personally I would get the KX.

If you are looking for a fashion accessory then by all means get the beats but if you want quality for your money get the sennheisers.

I like your point i think i'll wait to go over see what there all about and test them out sennheiser included and make my decision then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There a pure fashion accessory for people who don't know any better, anyone that has any real interest in sound isn't wearing beats. Just look at any dj, I bet even Dr Dre has a pair of Pioneer HDJ's in his record bag.
    Get something like the TMA 1's and save yourself €150, Pioneer have some really nice headphone well under €100 along with Sennheiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I like your point i think i'll wait to go over see what there all about and test them out sennheiser included and make my decision then :D

You're doing everything you can to ignore the facts/opinions laid down before you here, Beats are overpriced because they are a "cool" brand. I reckon you should go and buy the beats, because obviously you are concerned about how you look and how other people perceive you more than you are about sound quality. And the fact that "every 1 has them" obviously means dey r da best lolz

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    You're doing everything you can to ignore the facts/opinions laid down before you here, Beats are overpriced because they are a "cool" brand. I reckon you should go and buy the beats, because obviously you are concerned about how you look and how other people perceive you more than you are about sound quality. And the fact that "every 1 has them" obviously means dey r da best lolz

Fair enough mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nolan if your into Trance, Tiesto uses Stanton DJ PRO 2000's, they'll set you back about €75 euro.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement