Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Thanks, I got the ICS rom on now & its working grand. I need to figure out how to root it again & put on CWM(modaco is confusing). I have all my apps & data backed up with Titanium.

Am trying to get the phone rooted but I can't see what method to use. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

jgbyr wrote: »
    Thanks, I got the ICS rom on now & its working grand. I need to figure out how to root it again & put on CWM(modaco is confusing). I have all my apps & data backed up with Titanium.

Am trying to get the phone rooted but I can't see what method to use. Any help would be appreciated.
    Congrats! ICS is fantastic. For root and CWM see this thread on Modaco. Specifically points 2 and 3. It was written for gingerbread but should still work for ics. The CWM installation definitely does work with ics. Points to watch out for:
    1. Make sure your phone has USB debugging enabled
    2. Hold Volume Down to get to bootloader mode (this is where it stays on the Huawei logo) and hold Volume Up to get into recovery mode. I got these two mixed up a few times. :o

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I upgraded to ICS today and I'm also having issues rooting the phone. I don't think you can use that method, Adyx. I think you have to install unlockbootloader.exe from this Modaco Guide.

However, that still is not working for me as I get an error saying "ROOT Failiure, Please Check the Driver"

Very annoying. If I find a solution I will post it here.

OK figured it out. Use the guide I posted above and when you plug your phone into your computer by USB it should open a window. Click on drivers and then adb-driver and then install Handset WinDriver.

Then follow the rest of the instructions in that guide and unblockboatloader should work.

I'm gonna wait a bit though before I jump in and install the Infusion mod for ICS. Seems to be quite a big security flaw and some general issues as it is the first version and it has just been released.

OK figured it out. Use the guide I posted above and when you plug your phone into your computer by USB it should open a window. Click on drivers and then adb-driver and then install Handset WinDriver.

Then follow the rest of the instructions in that guide and unblockboatloader should work.

I'm gonna wait a bit though before I jump in and install the Infusion mod for ICS. Seems to be quite a big security flaw and some general issues as it is the first version and it has just been released.

Good to know about the rooting thanks. The last couple of roms I've used were already pre-rooted so I haven't needed to root myself.

I'm using Infusion myself and I haven't had noticed any major issues, certainly nothing to cause me to switch back. I think the security thing is easily fixed by downloading a superuser app like SuperSU. I've reinstalled it and now apps are once again asking for root permissions first.

• Advertisement

Have you noticed a big improvement between Infusion and the stock ICS rom?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Got this today... A truly brilliant upgrade from my old wildfire! How long does it take for the unlock code to come through from the ebay sellers?

Have you noticed a big improvement between Infusion and the stock ICS rom?
    Battery life is certainly better. To me it's not noticeably faster despite the tweaks included but I can't see it getting any faster anyway until Huawei sort out hardware acceleration for the UI. The notification toggles don't work but that's a known problem and Power Controls from the Market sorts it.

Overall, there's no real negatives for me. I don't miss the features that don't work yet and until a fully working CM9 (or CM10!) is released I'll probably stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

To those that updated from AtomicMod to Infusion, what ICS Rom did you update from? Its in the OP of infusion that you must update to ICS rom then Infusion, any help? You must change the baseband apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Adyx wrote: »
    ... The notification toggles don't work but that's a known problem and Power Controls from the Market sorts it....

Sorry what are these?

• Advertisement

donmeister wrote: »
    To those that updated from AtomicMod to Infusion, what ICS Rom did you update from? Its in the OP of infusion that you must update to ICS rom then Infusion, any help? You must change the baseband apparently.
    Well I didn't have Atomic Modern but I went from B926 to Paul's Ir1 to Infusion. It has to be a Huawei rom that uses the update.app installation method basically. I'd assume B927 would work too.

BostonB wrote: »
    Adyx wrote: »
    ... The notification toggles don't work but that's a known problem and Power Controls from the Market sorts it....

Sorry what are these?
    It's an app in the Market that puts a power toggle widget in the notification area so you can turn wifi, data, gps etc on and off. I prefer it there rather than a widget on the home screen.

From atomic just follow this Modaco guide to update your phone to a stock ICS rom and then you can update that to Infusion. I've put the followed that guide but I haven't updated to Infusion yet.

Might try that today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Okay, updated from AtomicMod to ICS B927, want to get Infusion on it, went the CWM way and it failed verification or soemthing, do you have to unlock the bootloader? Im confused, cant find any info on Modaco on how to go from B927 > Infusion, any help lads?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Installed ics 927. The calendar doesnt work. I cant set notifications. Anyone else had this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

any good step by step youtube guides to debranding/rooting this phone?

Okay, updated from AtomicMod to ICS B927, want to get Infusion on it, went the CWM way and it failed verification or soemthing, do you have to unlock the bootloader? Im confused, cant find any info on Modaco on how to go from B927 > Infusion, any help lads?

Cheers.
    I went from B926 so I'm not sure if 927 has a locked bootloader. It's likely though, I had to unlock it for 926. It might be no harm to download the rom again just in case it's a corrupt download.

By the way and for anyone else who's installing Infusion if you didn't see the note on the Modaco thread about it: make sure you disable Force GPU Rendering in Developer Options. It runs much smoother without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

iwo wrote: »
    I got ics on it and it is a a brand new phone - much better one...

Just follow simple steps from this link

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355851-ics-found-u8815-b927-rom/
    This is pure ics with no voda addons and cr@p.
    Remember to restart the phone after the update...

Thanks man. Do I need to unlock the phone or anything before changing to ICS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Just as a heads up to anyone considering this phone, the 20 euro discount wasn't available for me when getting the phone in-store. Instead I was given a case. And it's very clunky and difficult to get the phone out of, I've even had to get it replaced already due to wear and tear :rolleyes: (am waiting on delivery of the shell case linked to previously in the thread)

One other thing I've noticed, if you install clockwork mod recovery, you can't charge the phone with the phone off, as plugging the usb cable in brings you straight to the CWM menu. Seems to be a known bug though

Finally, any noobs like myself waiting for the official ICS release, there's actually an official gingerbread update available in the meantime (doesn't seem to be available OTA for everyone). Makes the three soft keys a lot more responsive. Instructions and files in the link below:

linky

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

Hi, I just got this very nice phone today but it won't connect to wifi. I've entered the password for my wifi and it just keeps saying "Obtaining IP address". Any ideas?

Edit: it just connected but went straight to Disabled now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ive been having trouble with wifi disconnecting on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just as a heads up to anyone considering this phone, the 20 euro discount wasn't available for me when getting the phone in-store. Instead I was given a case. And it's very clunky and difficult to get the phone out of, I've even had to get it replaced already due to wear and tear :rolleyes: (am waiting on delivery of the shell case linked to previously in the thread)

The €20 call credit is obtained by registering on Vodafone.ie

I love the case. It really holds the phone well & offers a lot of protection. It also doesn't get in the way when using the phone.

It's a great phone for the money & I am very pleased with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i got the executive case online-wouldn't recommend it for browsing

i switched to the ebay gel/screen protector one linked previously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

So is anyone selling one :pac:,seen a guy on adverts selling one for 90:confused: although he wont reply!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

One other thing I've noticed, if you install clockwork mod recovery, you can't charge the phone with the phone off, as plugging the usb cable in brings you straight to the CWM menu. Seems to be a known bug though

Finally, any noobs like myself waiting for the official ICS release, there's actually an official gingerbread update available in the meantime (doesn't seem to be available OTA for everyone). Makes the three soft keys a lot more responsive. Instructions and files in the link below:

linky

^ that's a UK rom for Vodafone....what about an Irish rom :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I just received my Tesco SIM in the post. Do I have to activate it before I buy the Huawei or can I just go up with the SIM in my pocket and drive on?

I just received my Tesco SIM in the post. Do I have to activate it before I buy the Huawei or can I just go up with the SIM in my pocket and drive on?

You don't have to do anything. Just head into the Vodafone store and tell them you want to switch numbers when you are buying the phone and give them the Tesco number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Another dumb question (I'm new to all this, sorry).

Is this the right place to buy an unlock code from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This is where I got my unlock code... Other than the 50p price difference they're probably the same thing to be fair though!

Advertisement