Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants in compost

• 09-05-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I noticed a lot of ants around my compost heap. They are living in it or beside it.

Are they bad for it or are they just the same as everything else in it?

Just thought it was strange as I didn't think ants would like to hang around damp areas like that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Compost heaps are generally warm and dry. I had a rats nest in mine a few years ago. My cat camped outside the entrance and the problem went away!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Thats funny my cat sleeps on top of mine. For the warmth i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'd be interested in answers for this too as I sometimes get a lot of ants in the garden. Am verrrry worried now in case rats/mice take up residence too!!:eek:

I don't think you get rats once you don't put any cooked food or meat into it

Funny, I'd expect them to be happy to eat potato peelings and carrot scraps too!

• Advertisement

Well thats what i read on the internet so it may not be true but it seems to work for me. Well i have the cat as back up anyway.

Good old moggie! Don't have one myself unfortunately.

The reason I had rats was that I was not turning over the heap. Also the habit of putting old carpet on heaps to retain heat is a bad idea. This will more or less guarantee a rats nest.

I would suggest that ants also would not like it if the heap was more moist.

I've really gone right off the idea of composting as I'm so unsure of how to do it and feel I'd get it wrong anyway. Maybe I'll leave it to those who know how and just buy the bagged stuff.

I just got a barrel and drilled holes in the sides and bottom and put a sheet of wood over it. I put veg peelings, grass, some plant cuttings and egg shells(read they were ok to put in!). Then when i needed some for the plants i cut a little door at the bottom and filled a bucket with how much i needed! Not much to it only to mix it around with a shovel every now and again

• Advertisement

I have a tall cone type yoke with a little door at the bottom. I haven't started using it yet as I'm nervous about the mix. To 'move the mixture about' do you just put the shovel in through the little open door and do it, or do you take the whole composter off its position to do it. Stupid question I know....but have to ask.

I just lift the lid off and give it a good mix with a spade or fork. I don't think it matters really one you mix it somehow. Just go for it anyway, whats the worst that could happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

we've ants in our compost but they don't seem to pose any problems - our compost is really good this year.

You need a good mixture of green/brown material, green being your grass cuttings, veg peelings etc and brown being leaf mould, newspaper, small cut up twigs etc.

We've limited room in our current garden so have one of those generic plastic composters with the door at the end - it can get hard to turn it when it gets full but this weather is helping. Ideally we'll go for three separate bins in the future where we can turn it over into the next one.

Egg shells are grand - just grind them up small as they don't actually decompose - but they'll help with air etc.

Himself got me a wormery for Christmas - that's really getting going now, we'll get a lot of compost much quicker from that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

haydar wrote: »
    I don't think you get rats once you don't put any cooked food or meat into it
    the only time we got a rat in our compost bin was when a chunk of carrot cake ended up in it.

See how the rats/ants stand up to this!

Advertisement