Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psychology ?

• 18-06-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Ok so I am just after finishing my leaving cert yesterday, unfortunately two of my exams that i was counting did not go well, so my first choice will most likely not be an option!

So i was wondering is this course good? And also have you as many options to go into different types of psychology after this course, or is it limited in comparison to say a degree in psychology from Ucd/DCU, Or are they the exact same degree with the exact same options!

Any information on this course and WIT in general would be greatly appreciated as I am not from Waterford and don't know anyone going there :)

thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Psych1988

As far as I know WIT is PSI accredited, which means as well as the major Irish universities it meets the standards set by the PSI.
    If you get the grades and EXPERIENCE, there will be no disadvantage when it comes to applying for masters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Thank you :)

what do you mean by experience?? :)

Psychology is very competitive post degree. I would recommend you get involved in volunteer work, with the psi, or psych societies etc. throughout your degree. This will show a level of commitment, which will hold you in good stead for when you apply for masters programmes. Personally I only really got involved in my final year in external projects and was very lucky to get accepted into one. Well done on finishing the leaving cert btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

thank you :)

Yeah that is a good idea!

What are you doing now can I ask? Have you your undergrad done, and what do you hope to pursue??

I've just finished my undergrad and I'm starting a masters in applied psychology in September. Ideally I'd love to do clinical psychology but still open to doing a research phd too.
    Best of luck. Hope this helped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 edei

Hi Psych1988, Im starting psychology now. from what you have seen over these years, and what you have heard, what do you think are the most common areas to work in after the degree? and in which are the biggest amount of jobs? I would like to go into research, but im afraid it wont have many professional opportunities.

Is it also true, that anyone with a degree in psychology will need a master and a phd to work at (nearly anything ) related with psychology?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 edei

By the way, did you do the degree in wit? any advice for an overwhelmed-panicky student?

Advertisement