Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lithuanian beer

• 18-08-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

About a year ago I got a nice Lithuanian lager in Tesco. After looking online I think it's Svyturys Ekstra . It seems to have been a once off. Pity, because it was a nice beer. Has anybody seen it recently (I don't be in Tesco that often as I live in the only county in Ireland without one):(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I haven't tried Svyturys Ekstra but as it appears to be an unpasteurised pale lager you might try looking for the likes of Lomza or Kasztelan unpasteurised. The former is available in Spar; the latter in Polish shops like Polonez.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

earlytobed wrote: »
    About a year ago I got a nice Lithuanian lager in Tesco. After looking online I think it's Svyturys Ekstra . It seems to have been a once off. Pity, because it was a nice beer. Has anybody seen it recently (I don't be in Tesco that often as I live in the only county in Ireland without one):(

Dunnes often stock Lithuanian beers as do most O Briens. like here most of there beer is macro lager style but they have a growing micro scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think I picked this up in O'Briens at the weekend.

It was definitely Svyturys there was a couple of versions. 5 for a tenner or one of those deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nplunkett

Molloys stores stock most of the Svyturys range. The Ekstra 50cl Btl is on promo at €2 a bottle for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Picked up the Wheat Beer from Svyturys in a 5 for 10 euro deal recently in some off license. Not sure if they stocked more from Svyturys or not.
    Also, in EuroSpar by Gulliver’s Retail Park a couple of months back, they had a good selection of Svyturys with 3/4 different beers.

Wheat beer was tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Molloys always have the Ekstra in stock. It's probably the nicest Lithuanian beer I've tried, and I've tried a lot! But then again, they don't tend to make great beers in Lithuania.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Molloys always have the Ekstra in stock. It's probably the nicest Lithuanian beer I've tried, and I've tried a lot! But then again, they don't tend to make great beers in Lithuania.

Will be in Clonsilla at the weekend and will have a look in Molloy's

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Spent a night in a "craft beer" pub in Kaunas and couldn't find a beer that was even close to decent. It was about 3 years ago but from what I remember I tried a lager, white beer, honey ale, something with herbs in it that reminded me of Jäger and sickly sweet porter. Would put me off going back to visit the country if I'm being honest.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Spent a night in a "craft beer" pub in Kaunas and couldn't find a beer that was even close to decent. It was about 3 years ago but from what I remember I tried a lager, white beer, honey ale, something with herbs in it that reminded me of Jäger and sickly sweet porter. Would put me off going back to visit the country if I'm being honest.

My OH is Lithuanian so I've been over there a few times. Lovely country, but they're not really beer drinkers, they mainly drink spirits, so it's reflected in the beer that's available, which is not great.

I've been getting the FIL into craft beers over the last few years. I think I converted him when I gave him some Westvleteren to try. :) But that's the type of beers he favours, dark, malt driven beers with high ABVs, particularly Belgian style beers and Imperial Stouts, which I suppose ties in with his fondness for spirits, he has an incredible collection of Whiskeys and Vodkas.
    As I like to try lots of different beers he tends to pick me up some Lithuanian beers every now and then, but they're never great. Had a bottle of Rinkuškiai Exclusive 15% a while back and it was really nice, but again, high ABV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

A Lithuanian friend of mine introduced me to Vilniaus 13 Statiniu one night, lovely I thought, I'll give this a try

It was only the next day I realised it was 14% ABV, heady stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Molloys are doing some Lithuanian craft beers from a brewery called Rinkuskiai atm, 5 btls for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nplunkett

Molloys Clonsilla have 3 or 4 beers in that 5 for €10 offer, all 50cl bottles. I heard they are flying out at that price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

I've had the svyturys baltijos dark red a lovely beer was got in Tesco Nenagh with the 5 for 10 deals they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

columf wrote: »
    I've had the svyturys baltijos dark red a lovely beer was got in Tesco Nenagh with the 5 for 10 deals they do.
    FYI, Una Powells has a great selection of Porterhouse & White Gypsy offerings in the bar

Craft beer pickings in Nenagh are slim to say the least :mad:

blueshed wrote: »
    Molloys are doing some Lithuanian craft beers from a brewery called Rinkuskiai atm, 5 btls for €10

I'm having a bottle of Juddasis by Rinkuškiai (that I've had in the fridge for ages) at the moment. It's described as a Schwarzbier but it's essentially an alcoholic Kvass, and I'm not a fan of Kvass.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I spent 16 months in Vilnius on a work assignment, and now I'm back home, with the Lithuanian OH,

myself & 2 lads from Cork drank the Svyturys Ekstra all the time and loved it, fantastic beer.

1 sure place to get a hold of Lithuanian beer is in those Lithuanica shops, I tend to frequent them now with herself, and always see the Svyturys beers, as well as some others.

We drank it all the time over there, good times indeed..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

DLMA23 wrote: »
    FYI, Una Powells has a great selection of Porterhouse & White Gypsy offerings in the bar

Craft beer pickings in Nenagh are slim to say the least :mad:

Powells is a great shop all right. The best place I found for beer is the offie by Mulrooneys but can be expensive. Tesco have a decent selection if beer and you can get some decent stuff there from time to time.

Nicest Lithuanian beer I've had to date. It's a 6.5% Dubbel and it comes in a little dinky 250ml bottle. Must find out where the FIL got it as it's really nice.

321949.jpg

Edit- it's actually not Lithuanian, it's Belgian/French. :o
    The label on the back (in Lithuanian) confused me.

Nice beer all the same.

Advertisement