Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Got the call too. Contract in the post today. Didn't think it would take almost 3 years but the wait is finally over.

see you monday week so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

cheers lads for the replies
    will cross that bridge if i get to it
    hoping to hear something in the next batch of interviews , think nearly 500 done and i'm around 525 :D

pada1981 wrote: »
    to be honest, you'll be doing well to get called at this stage for an interview, interview is the hardest stage aswell, ring a prison nearest to you explain your going for interview and arrange a tour slash brain storm, very good information to be got by doing this, wouldnt worry about the medical yet, tbh, get onto the ips and keep asking about your interview date!!!!!

i know a few PO's and they are going to give me a run down on the interview
    i believe it is very hard but the career i'm in at the min should stand me in good stead

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

best of luck to everyone who's starting on the 24th,don't be disappointed when you look at the salary part of your contract,the basic looks terrible on paper but when you add up the allowances and other benefits it works out a bit better!!!

rogieop wrote: »
    see you monday week so!

how long since you did the interview and what was the length of time between interview and fitness test etc ?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

cavan4sam wrote: »
    how long since you did the interview and what was the length of time between interview and fitness test etc ?
    thanks

As far as I can remember it was about 6 weeks between the interview and pct. What could mess things up though is your security clearance. It took 7 months for mine to come through. Did the interview in Oct 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jailer

see you monday week so!

thanks

Just too many variables to give you a worthwhile answer know people who were phoned as they left the PCT on the Friday to report on the Monday. People finished the interview and contacted to do the PCT the next week, others waited 12 months for the call. There seems to be no time limit on a recruitment panel I remember people being 5 and 6 years on panels. The only time limit I'm aware of is that your medical is only valid for 6 months AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Do many RPOs fail the training and then aren't considered for a position after the 3 years training? Or is it a case of once you're in you're in?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Do many RPOs fail the training and then aren't considered for a position after the 3 years training? Or is it a case of once you're in you're in?
    TBH once you dont go sick and do your job properly you will be kept !!Its all down to job performance in the first 3 years and your govenors opinion of you . After that its really hard to get fired ;););) once you stick to the rules !! Congrats to all the newbies a bit of advice lads LISTEN and learn from the elderberries they will teach you way more than any training you will get in any university and they will be watching your back more importantly ;););)!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

as has been said i think the time frame varies, i did my interview last december, didnt get word of the pct untill a few weeks back, done the pct on friday and got the call today.

seen a few comments about the interview being very hard but i didnt necessarily think it was. i cant actually remember much of it so cant say too much but i am absolutely terrible at interviews and got through so it cant be that tough.

Id advise anybody waiting on word to just put it to the back of your mind and go about any other work/jobs you do.

If you sit around waiting it will put you crazy. the only comfort is knowing you are on a list and whether its sooner or later, you will get your chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Well done to all those who got the call... Its been a long wait for you..

as has been said i think the time frame varies, i did my interview last december, didnt get word of the pct untill a few weeks back, done the pct on friday and got the call today.

seen a few comments about the interview being very hard but i didnt necessarily think it was. i cant actually remember much of it so cant say too much but i am absolutely terrible at interviews and got through so it cant be that tough.

Id advise anybody waiting on word to just put it to the back of your mind and go about any other work/jobs you do.

If you sit around waiting it will put you crazy. the only comfort is knowing you are on a list and whether its sooner or later, you will get your chance.

true i'm only 1 year away from permanancy in my current job 7 miles from home so will be tough decision if it comes to that as the money along same lines , time will tell my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

LoanShark wrote: »
    Talking to serving officers with less than five years is way more beneficial than taking a tour of the prison.. Because that is more relevant to the interview..

As for ringing the IPS, If can imagine the guy in Longford who 10-20 times a day gets a phone call from people who are looking for info on what is happening in regards to the recruitment campaign, you'd get a pain in your hoop...If you ring once and they say "We dont know!, Call back in a few weeks" ... Then thats it leave it for a few weeks..

There is Great information on this site about the interviews and how you can prepare yourself for it...Just go back through the pages.. You'd nearly get answers to every question you'd ever want to ask...

like wht do u think i did when i got a tour??? whatever dude, u must conduct the interviews

i know a few PO's and they are going to give me a run down on the interview
    i believe it is very hard but the career i'm in at the min should stand me in good stead

i know everyone has there own opinions of wat to do and wat not to do but the only advice id give is to talk to someone who has gone through the process and has worked in a prison, just be prepared as much as you can and you'll be fine, best of luck for the future hope you get called soon

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Congrats to those who got the call. Look forward to seeing ye on the landings.

Just a point about interviews. They are ran through the Public appointments service. IPS only take over the process when ya pass the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

like wht do u think i did when i got a tour??? whatever dude, u must conduct the interviews

No need to start getting smart.. You haven't even started training yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Here we go again :rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me why people constantly come on this thread looking for advice then totally disregard that given which does not suit their own ideas.
    But no worries Bud, you obviously know best.

For all the others in this guy's training group, ye'll have absolutely no problems...

See you when you hit the landings, you'll be easy to spot.

And here we have another contender for the title of "I know-it-all-already"

If you don't want advice,don't post on this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Good luck to all the new recruits. You are joining at a difficult time, prisoner numbers are at record highs and officer numbers at record lows. The first year is the hardest, the lags know you are new and will test you constantly. Listen to the senior lads and ask questions if you don't know something.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

true i'm only 1 year away from permanancy in my current job 7 miles from home so will be tough decision if it comes to that as the money along same lines , time will tell my friend

Ohhh thats a tough decision to make - if it was me i'd pick location - unless of course you're miserable in your current job:)

• Advertisement

Here we go again :rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me why people constantly come on this thread looking for advice then totally disregard that given which does not suit their own ideas.
    But no worries Bud, you obviously know best.

For all the others in this guy's training group, ye'll have absolutely no problems...

See you when you hit the landings, you'll be easy to spot.

well if youfollowed the whole thread muppet, you would see that i was looking for advice, youll be easy to spot , you'll be the dude with his head up his own arse!!!! muppet

LoanShark wrote: »
    No need to start getting smart.. You haven't even started training yet...

what does that mean, uve seen it all, done it all, fairplay

And here we have another contender for the title of "I know-it-all-already"

If you don't want advice,don't post on this thread.

what are u on about????? did u follow the whole thread???? cant disagree with an experienced po cos they know it all??? whatever dude

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Are there any PO sports clubs/teams ie. soccer, Gaa, golf?

@pada1981........ I am not a big one for giving internet advice, but if ya find me on the landings I am more than willing to help where I can.

I will however say this, you have just gone off on one for little or no reason. Some guys on here are very experienced POs, others like myself are 18mths to 2 years in the job. With respect your knowledge of the job at the moment is zero, like us all when we started. If you come into the jails with the attitude you just displayed, it wont be long before you become the arse end of everyones jokes. Even in my short time I have seen this happen to guys.

Do yourself a favour and lighten up and learn to take good advice.

Hope the training goes well for ya and best of luck

Are there any PO sports clubs/teams ie. soccer, Gaa, golf?

Loads, usually prison specific.

Gaa, soccer, golf, rugby

what are u on about????? did u follow the whole thread???? cant disagree with an experienced po cos they know it all??? whatever dude

Of course I've followed the whole thread,anyway enough from me to you,hope you have a good career ahead of you and you never need my advice on the landings,that is of course you get through the training and you're posted to the same jail as me.I'm sure you'll be easy to spot anyway,and as for calling other posters here on this thread muppets,says a lot about your attitude.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Lets try and get it back on track here ladies and gents

pada1981 infracted for name calling

@pada1981........ I am not a big one for giving internet advice, but if ya find me on the landings I am more than willing to help where I can.

I will however say this, you have just gone off on one for little or no reason. Some guys on here are very experienced POs, others like myself are 18mths to 2 years in the job. With respect your knowledge of the job at the moment is zero, like us all when we started. If you come into the jails with the attitude you just displayed, it wont be long before you become the arse end of everyones jokes. Even in my short time I have seen this happen to guys.

Do yourself a favour and lighten up and learn to take good advice.

Hope the training goes well for ya and best of luck

if u follow the whole thread, i wasnt even talking about the job it was the interview, thats it, im not going into this job with my eyes and ears closed, i have it all to learn, people can judge me if they want

• Advertisement

Of course I've followed the whole thread,anyway enough from me to you,hope you have a good career ahead of you and you never need my advice on the landings,that is of course you get through the training and you're posted to the same jail as me.I'm sure you'll be easy to spot anyway,and as for calling other posters here on this thread muppets,says a lot about your attitude.

i heard theres a few heros in there alright, dont worry bout me mate ill be fine, sure dont i have the like of you jedis to get advice from

Advertisement