Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graduate Diploma in Special Needs Mary I

Options
  • 09-01-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has done or knows of someone who has done the graduate diploma in Special Needs in Mary I? Looking to find out is it worthwhile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ed06

Got offered a place on the course for september, just wondering what the timetable is like for the eight weeks. is it monday to friday 9-5?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zxmeera5

Hi COOper,

I've done the Grad Dip and it was generally v worthwhile. It was a 16 wk course in my day which was tearing the a out of it somewhat. I suspect that they'll have gotten rid of the fluff when paring it down. Mind you afaik the DES got rid of the salary allowance since too...

It was hard work with the majority of students aiming to make the grade to be 'invited' to apply for the masters after it. Only a small percent were. There was a marked distinction between the primary and secondary teachers on the course - my memory is that the primary teachers were much more diligent and keen. The feedback at that time was that the course was broadly more relevant to primary education as that was the expertise of the resident staff.

Lecturers were v well prepared and helpful but they put you on the spot and expected participation. Guest lecturers such as physios, educational psychologists, OTs etc were always interesting. The applied research project gave us an opportunity to do research in an area of interest and relevance to our own school situation. There was a morning of presentations of these and some of them were super.

Much of what I did in 2008 is possibly out of date now but nonetheless I reckon they still get their pound of flesh from me - liaise with outside agencies, input at staff meetings, am given so called hard cases etc
    ya it's worthwhile but be prepared to have to work. Best of luck with it

Advertisement