Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Thanks a lot OP. I didn't have a clue how to do this...delighted! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Thanks a lot OP. I didn't have a clue how to do this...delighted! :-)
    No problem. Did you use Opera 12.xx? I tried quickly with Opera 15 (which uses the same engine as Chrome, called Blink), Chrome 27, and Firefox 22 (with Firebug) last month or so without the success. Opera 12 worked without a problem. It uses their proprietary Presto engine.

It appears that Chrome et all won't re-run the code on change. I'm still trying to figure out a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Am I missing something? Isn't the whole rigamarole with hacking the code no longer necessary? I got an EPC3925 and could just set it to bridge mode out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Am I missing something? Isn't the whole rigamarole with hacking the code no longer necessary? I got an EPC3925 and could just set it to bridge mode out of the box.

You are correct - bridge mode is a menu option on most 3925's now, but I think there are some out there that do have that option, and for some reason the firmware did not update on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DECEiFER wrote: »
    You can get up to 3 public IPs, a 4th isn't possible, so 3 out of the 4 ports will give you a unique IP.

Anyone actually implemented this? We're thinking about renting a room and want to isolate and rate limit the tenant AP. Assume UPC dont have a problem with it. Also, any suggestions on a cheap router that will allow a hard rate limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

can anyone tell me how to turn off wireless on epc3925.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone actually implemented this? We're thinking about renting a room and want to isolate and rate limit the tenant AP. Assume UPC dont have a problem with it. Also, any suggestions on a cheap router that will allow a hard rate limit?
    You can definitely do this but I'm sorry, I haven't ever owned a router, cheap or otherwise, that has an obvious option to limit the rate. That's not to say that there isn't one but it might not be a) cheap, b) obvious to find. Good luck, though, and I'd be interested to know if your search comes up with a half-decent router that can accomplish that.

ED E wrote: »

Seems like any router that supports DD-WRT (paid version) will apparently do it, or using this guy's workaround, even the unpaid version:

http://markmaunder.com/2011/01/26/how-to-reliably-limit-the-amount-of-bandwidth-your-room-mate-or-bad-office-colleague-uses/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The requirement is quite basic, just need say a 15Mb Down limit and 1.5Mb up limit for that whole network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,
    Excuse my limited knowledge on this but what is the main advantage of bridged mode can you tell me?

Cheers,
    M

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Excuse my limited knowledge on this but what is the main advantage of bridged mode can you tell me?

Cheers,
    M

Quite simply you can use a better router. Also it allows (with the use of a long ethernet cable) better positioning of the router for wifi purposes.

dub45 wrote: »
    Quite simply you can use a better router. Also it allows (with the use of a long ethernet cable) better positioning of the router for wifi purposes.

Like using one of these which I should be getting tomorrow instead of the Cisco one for WiFi in my apartment?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

madmoe wrote: »
    Like using one of these which I should be getting tomorrow instead of the Cisco one for WiFi in my apartment?

Cheers,
    M

I'm pretty sure those Cisco devices are wireless access points, not routers. So bridge mode wouldn't help you.

I'm pretty sure those Cisco devices are wireless access points, not routers. So bridge mode wouldn't help you.

Yep....just got mine mate and it's a wireless access point. Could it not be plugged into one of the RJ45 ports on the Cisco router and then used to cover a bigger area\more of my apartment?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Yes

Yes

Great ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cupax

Hello.

I've got the Cisco EPC3925 and I have no BRIDGE option in Management menu.
    I've tried to inject the HTML code found here: http://pastebin.com/W0eQy7mM
    but it differs a lot from the code found in the router's page so I suppose it was written for an older firmware.
    Is there a way to enable bridging for the latest firmwares? Mine is: epc3925-ESIP-16-v302r125573-130625c

Thank You!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

cupax wrote: »
    Hello.

I've got the Cisco EPC3925 and I have no BRIDGE option in Management menu.
    I've tried to inject the HTML code found here: http://pastebin.com/W0eQy7mM
    but it differs a lot from the code found in the router's page so I suppose it was written for an older firmware.
    Is there a way to enable bridging for the latest firmwares? Mine is: epc3925-ESIP-16-v302r125573-130625c

Thank You!

Are you in Ireland or another Country?

That's a worrying development if UPC are upgrading firmwares to disable the bridging option on the EPC3925 in Ireland

Calibos wrote: »
    Are you in Ireland or another Country?

That's a worrying development if UPC are upgrading firmwares to disable the bridging option on the EPC3925 in Ireland

Do they upgrade firmware remotely without the customer's knowledge? Are some of us at risk of losing the bridge mode we already have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

They are updating online remotely - no way to stop it.
    But i think if they would do that ppl would eat them alive because the hardware they are providing is low end(piss of sh*t:).
    But there is always DMZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cupax

I'm in Slovenia, EU.

I was browsing the HTML code and I found some lines of code that have words "Bridge" and "Router Mode" inside them so I think the option should still exist, it is just hidden. I'm not a coder but if somebody is willing to try I could send my entire HTML code.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Phew I just speed read the last few posts and I picked things up wrong.i was positive I read that UPC had started updgrading firmware and disabling bridge mode in Irl.

serves me right just parachuting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 spads

I have the EPC3925 and I have the option to set my router to bridge mode.

Question is, if I do this and set up my own router......willl the phones still work?. They are plugged directly into upc router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Yes,It Will.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

spads wrote: »
    I have the EPC3925 and I have the option to set my router to bridge mode.

Question is, if I do this and set up my own router......willl the phones still work?. They are plugged directly into upc router.

Yep phones will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 spads

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Yep phones will be fine.

Great,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 silviu001

Hello,

I am in the same situation of having the new firmware on my router. Before reseting the router to factory defaults the bridge mode worker with the current firmware but due a missing password I had to reset it without knowing the consequencies :-))

is there anyone with the bridge mode function active that is willing to share its configuration file? Just change the login password, export the configuration file and share it on the forum.

I am willing to test it on my router and I am confident that it will work :-) because the settings downloaded from UPC, at boot time, are regarding only the DOCSIS parameters everything else is kept on the router and can be changed only from withing the routers interface (Web, CLI (not available to us) etc.)

Thanks,

Silviu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

hi guys, im extremelly confused here. ive read on boards that putting the 3925 into bridge mode will STOP the homephone from working but here it says it will continue to work as normal :S

i have a netgear n600 ordered from ebay today and im worried as i probably have until tonight to cancel it before they ship it to me.

to make it clear...the homephone connected to the 3925 WILL work if i bridge mode it to the netgear?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

MarkY91 wrote: »
    hi guys, im extremelly confused here. ive read on boards that putting the 3925 into bridge mode will STOP the homephone from working but here it says it will continue to work as normal :S

i have a netgear n600 ordered from ebay today and im worried as i probably have until tonight to cancel it before they ship it to me.

to make it clear...the homephone connected to the 3925 WILL work if i bridge mode it to the netgear?

Definitely.

Advertisement