Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I'm relying on this on getting me through the rest of the downtime...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

Brilliant!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I would laugh if psn died when 77million accounts re-connect and all started syncing trophies at once :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Lads, you do realise the servers are gonna explode when everyone tries to connect?!

Ugghh :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Tallon wrote: »

Good riddance to the them i say. If they're fickle enough to trade in their games/console then we're better off with em.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Good riddance to the them i say. If they're fickle enough to trade in their games/console then we're better off with em.

Would you say the same if UPC cut off your internet for 3 weeks, and people start getting in eircom or someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Over the passed 3 years I have bought about 3 different xbox 360's hoping maybe it would have improved... Started off with the Arcade then I got a HDD... Then I got an Elite, followed by the Halo Reach Limited Edition Xbox 360.. And I can strongly say xbox is nowhere near as good as PS3... Even when I only had a Xbox in the house, it was just gathering dust... I for one would never trade my PS3 for an Xbox, it would just be stupid of me..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I feel it's my obligation to lend this thread a more uplifting tone.

That's good, but it's no epic sax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

That's good, but it's no epic sax.

It's no epic sax alright. It's so much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

The OH works in a games retailer and she has seen (relatively) a lot of this this week, at least 3 people a day trading in PS3s. She told me about one customer who sounded like a pretty hardcore Sony fan - I'm talking a PS3 and a ton of games and accessories. I figured hardcore PS3 users like that would have waited a few more days - but nope, out goes the PS3 and in with the shiny new 360.

Surely these people are going to regret it when something like inFamous 2, Uncharted 3 or Twisted Metal (and Ni no Kuni, Team Ico Collection, The Last Guardian...) come out?

Should have just bought Civilization V like I did. XD

I agree, it's a stupid thing to do.

I mean, it's not like the thing is unusable! They can still play offline, Lan ect. Surely of they had all those games and never traded them in before, they could have fired one up and played it.

I'm playing Time Crisis with the gun on PS1 the past while and fúcking love it

If it wasn't for the outage, I wouldn't have even touched the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I work in one of the biggest games retailers in Dublin and I've yet to hear of a case of someone swapping over away from the PS3 due to the PSN problems. Seems like a bit of a drastic measure to take - the price of changing over all your games and the console would be a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

GothPunk wrote: »
    Surely these people are going to regret it when something like inFamous 2, Uncharted 3 or Twisted Metal (and Ni no Kuni, Team Ico Collection, The Last Guardian...) come out?

Can't forget Catherine! Especially since the PS3 has the funniest cover art:

20101203205129!Catherine_Cover_Art.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

In terms of cancelling Brink that is to be expected its really an online game if you have it ordered on PS3 but have an xbox it makes sense to swap. or if they only have PS then they cancel.

Swapping consoles with MW2 in mind i don't think those people are interested in PS exclusives any way they are hardcore COD fans, and while 3 a day is lots in one shop in the over all picture 3 out of 50million is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

the xbox controller pisses me off too much for me to ever consider swapping

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    the xbox controller pisses me off too much for me to ever consider swapping

After spending 13 years of my gaming life, using another controller just feels unnatural.:p

The controller for the 360 is annoying but so is the fact that you have to pay an annual subscription for online play and everything seems to be extra, for example the wireless card, that you have to pay for!

• Advertisement

Not on the new one tbf, but yeah, it's hard to adjust to the controller

Well i didn't know that but i still wouldn't shell out on one. But thats just me. Even with this PR fiasco from Sony i'm still sticking to the PS3.

Won't hear a bad word about the 360 controller (except the D-Pad, complain away about that, but that's what arcade sticks are made for). Indeed, I'm often persuaded to pick up shooters, action games and other big budget titles for 360 merely because the controller is slightly better, particularly the triggers.

Dual Shock is fine, but its feeling its age, many years on from the PS1. It's straight up dreadful for FPS games, triggers too spongy and - sacrilege! - the default usually L1 and R1. And don't get me started on Sixaxis integration...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Black Ops Machines come in a few shapes and sizes. People can play Black Ops tomorrow with one quick trade. More power to em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

keithc83 wrote: »
    The controller for the 360 is annoying but so is the fact that you have to pay an annual subscription for online play and everything seems to be extra, for example the wireless card, that you have to pay for!

The 360 controller is pretty good tbh. The only thing bad about it is the d-pad, but there's a new edition out now that sorted it out. It's only an issue for fighting games and anyone who's into fighting games will have bought an arcade stick or Capcom fight pad anyway. The wireless is built into the new slim 360s I think. Paying for live is annoying but to be honest the deals of the week for gold members pays for itself if you like XBLA games and most shops are selling 12 months subs for 35-40 Euro. 6O Euro was insane.

Won't hear a bad word about the 360 controller (except the D-Pad, complain away about that, but that's what arcade sticks are made for). Indeed, I'm often persuaded to pick up shooters, action games and other big budget titles for 360 merely because the controller is slightly better, particularly the triggers.

Dual Shock is fine, but its feeling its age, many years on from the PS1. It's straight up dreadful for FPS games, triggers too spongy and - sacrilege! - the default usually L1 and R1. And don't get me started on Sixaxis integration...
    I have the extendible triggers, and love them

Azure_sky wrote: »
    The 360 controller is pretty good tbh. The only thing bad about it is the d-pad, but there's a new edition out now that sorted it out. It's only an issue for fighting games and anyone who's into fighting games will have bought an arcade stick or Capcom fight pad anyway. The wireless is built into the new slim 360s I think. Paying for live is annoying but to be honest the deals of the week for gold members pays for itself if you like XBLA games and most shops are selling 12 months subs for 35-40 Euro. 6O Euro was insane.

I guess i have just got used to the PS3 controller and find that i can't get use to the 360 one. I did try though, bought an xbox a few years back but i just couldn't get to grips with it, pardon the pun.

I didn't know wireless was built in to the new ones but that is a smart move because having to pay for that adapter on the old one was pretty pathetic.

35-40 Euro does not sound that bad and for anyone playing the 360 online daily, i am sure you will say its worth it too. But i do enjoy the fact that i can play online for free on the PS3 considering i paid for the game, and obviously the console, without having to pay a seperate subscription.
    Maybe i will change my mind with this 30 day free trial of PS+ but i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

i know it's probably not my place to say this but: This really isn't the place to be talking about X-Box controllers or Xbox Live!!!!!!!!! :mad:

i know it's probably not my place to say this but: This really isn't the place to be talking about X-Box controllers or Xbox Live!!!!!!!!! :mad:
    Gotta do something while it's down :p

• Advertisement

Gotta do something while it's down :p

Well then we should carry on doing what we were doing. Get someone to make an assumption about PSN's security/return date/ease of service renual, whatever, and everyone else can beat the sh!t out of them until the next assumption is made and the last person is left in a quivering heap. It's worked for the last few weeks.

Advertisement