Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Btea turned down, appeal?

Options
  • 01-09-2014 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I just got turned down for the btea allowance as I'm falling 27 days short of the required unemployment time (234 days). I went in to speak to them and they said they can't do anything for me. I've 2 small kids, and my credits are up so I'll be goin on jsa. Has anyone been in simulate situation? Anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Paddyg1987 wrote: »
    I just got turned down for the btea allowance as I'm falling 27 days short of the required unemployment time (234 days). I went in to speak to them and they said they can't do anything for me. I've 2 small kids, and my credits are up so I'll be goin on jsa. Has anyone been in simulate situation? Anything I can do?

That's shocking, trying to further yourself for you and your family and for the sake of 27 days the would rather you be sitting at home on the dole.If it was me I would get in touch with every local TD you know of and explain the situation, they won't be afraid to voice their opinion to these pen pushers, you might be lucky and get somewhere.The very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭spudnick

I was 6 days short last year. When I rang to query it was told to apply next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

bizzyb wrote: »
    That's shocking, trying to further yourself for you and your family and for the sake of 27 days the would rather you be sitting at home on the dole.If it was me I would get in touch with every local TD you know of and explain the situation, they won't be afraid to voice their opinion to these pen pushers, you might be lucky and get somewhere.The very best of luck.

I have my own horror story about BTEA . I rang up to confirm all my details about it today and I was means tested for jsa and I only receive 34 euro a week because of savings accounts I can't touch and when I rang I asked about my rate pay and they told me I would be receiving 34 a week and no more . So i rang susi and they asked me a good few questions and at the end of it they said I should be entitled to a full maintenance grant for this year . I haven't signed off but it's my only option at this stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

The BTEA is a farce Paddy. Burton should be ashamed of herself. If she wants to get people off the dole then she should set about helping those who are doing their damn best instead she's more worried about those cheating the system.

The BTEA has given numerous problems to people, why not amend it as they go along? How many people actually benefit from the allowance?

The whole system is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭spudnick

Anyone here know how hard it is to get beta? I'm 25 Have the right amount of days unemployed meet all the requirements set out buy the dsp. Is it just a case of apply and you will get it or up to the person that review the application?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Paddyg1987

spudnick wrote: »
    Anyone here know how hard it is to get beta? I'm 25 Have the right amount of days unemployed meet all the requirements set out buy the dsp. Is it just a case of apply and you will get it or up to the person that review the application?
    You shouldn't have much of a problem if your the right amount of days unemployed, just remember they don't count sundays as days of unemployment as that's what caught me out. Best of luck

Birdy wrote: »
    The BTEA is a farce Paddy. Burton should be ashamed of herself. If she wants to get people off the dole then she should set about helping those who are doing their damn best instead she's more worried about those cheating the system.

The BTEA has given numerous problems to people, why not amend it as they go along? How many people actually benefit from the allowance?

The whole system is a joke.

The more I look into it the more people with problems I find. They're happy to give me the dole to sit on my arse but won't give it to me to get an education!!! Like banging your head against the wall..

I have my own horror story about BTEA . I rang up to confirm all my details about it today and I was means tested for jsa and I only receive 34 euro a week because of savings accounts I can't touch and when I rang I asked about my rate pay and they told me I would be receiving 34 a week and no more . So i rang susi and they asked me a good few questions and at the end of it they said I should be entitled to a full maintenance grant for this year . I haven't signed off but it's my only option at this stage .
    34 a week?? They wouldn't half try and put ya off trying to better yourself or anything! Things are done backward, your punished for putting in an effort it seems..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

34 a week?? They wouldn't half try and put ya off trying to better yourself or anything! Things are done backward, your punished for putting in an effort it seems..

I know it's a joke !!! I had a lot of money a number of years ago and did all the right things with . I used it to buy myself a house and virtually set myself up for life . I went out of work 11 montha ago . So I signed on my stamps have ran out got means tested and they destroyed me on it . Joke of a system I did everything right when I was younger and get nothing back for it now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

I was also short days for the BTEA. I signed up for a plc course as I only needed 72 days and the college let me defer the degree until next year. Once they don't change the rules next year I will qualify for the BTEA when progressing. Might be an option for the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

it's so sad that they are sticking so harshly to the qualifying times for BTEA , they really need to give people who want to do better a break

the other suggestion i have for you is to look at some of the Springboard courses because it doesn't matter how long you are on a jobseekers payment - as long as you are on one; you may be entitled to retain it doing a Springboard course ,

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭simonsez

btea, how long does it take to find out?

Advertisement