Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Singing lessons for a child?

Options
  • 01-12-2012 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

My eight year old loves singing and she is not doing any music lessons yet. No musical instrument, though I've been meaning to start her trying something. She doesnt show any interest in any particular instrument but she loves singing ( very loudly and constantly, in a kind of operatic voice:D).

Does anyone think starting her on an instrument ( maybe guitar so she could sing along) would be better or voice lessons? I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff and I rang the local music academy to suss them out about what to start her with but the guy who answered the phone was the guy who gives piano lessons so he suggested piano. Now he might be right, but I'd like some unbiased opinions too.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I would start with an instrument, if she learns music theory at an early age it will make singing lessons much easier, esp if she can read music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I started out on piano as a kid, gives you a good grounding in music and you can play and sing along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

sambuka41 wrote: »
    I would start with an instrument, if she learns music theory at an early age it will make singing lessons much easier, esp if she can read music.

Not necessarily as not all voice lessons are taught via music theory.

I teach the voice as an actual instrument - which it is. So unless your child has a specific interest in a different instrument, I would try her on the voice lessons.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Wurly wrote: »

I teach the voice as an actual instrument - which it is. So unless your child has a specific interest in a different instrument, I would try her on the voice lessons.:)

I know, I have done lessons for years without theory. I can't read sheet music. But I think it's beneficial to have that background understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Wurly wrote: »

Both of the above posts make sense.
    I give guitar lessons. When a new student comes to me I encourage them to sing a simple melody over a basic chord progression, at first most of them baulk at the idea through natural shyness and a lack of confidence, but I have noticed how quickly they find their voices, and what do you know, the vast majority of them are reasonably good singers despite their protests to the contrary.

As their 'fingering' improves, so too does their singing. IMO melody and counter-melody are more easily understood through the combination of voice and instrument.

I also agree that the "voice is an actual instrument", it's the most versatile, expressive and wondrous instrument of them all.

To Wantobe.
    It's great that your eight year old loves singing and seems to a have a talent, if she shows any enthusiasm for a particular musical instrument, then by all means you should try to accommodate her with lessons in same - it's more than likely that her voice will improve as she familiarises herself with an instrument - but as 'Wurly' says in the above post, 'voice lessons' might be all that's required to improve her technique and for her to revel in the joy of her own singing voice.

Finally.
    Your daughter is lucky to have a parent who appreciates her nascent talent, and I'm sure, in later years, she'll appreciate all you've done for her in this regard.

I'll leave you with three very important words for any child taking their first tentative steps towards that magical world of musical performance.

Encouragement, encouragement, encouragement!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think piano is important for any beginning in musical training tbh. If you had the time and money, I'd get both piano and singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

9959 wrote: »
    Both of the above posts make sense.
    I give guitar lessons. When a new student comes to me I encourage them to sing a simple melody over a basic chord progression, at first most of them baulk at the idea through natural shyness and a lack of confidence, but I have noticed how quickly they find their voices, and what do you know, the vast majority of them are reasonably good singers despite their protests to the contrary.

As their 'fingering' improves, so too does their singing. IMO melody and counter-melody are more easily understood through the combination of voice and instrument.

I also agree that the "voice is an actual instrument", it's the most versatile, expressive and wondrous instrument of them all.

To Wantobe.
    It's great that your eight year old loves singing and seems to a have a talent, if she shows any enthusiasm for a particular musical instrument, then by all means you should try to accommodate her with lessons in same - it's more than likely that her voice will improve as she familiarises herself with an instrument - but as 'Wurly' says in the above post, 'voice lessons' might be all that's required to improve her technique and for her to revel in the joy of her own singing voice.

Finally.
    Your daughter is lucky to have a parent who appreciates her nascent talent, and I'm sure, in later years, she'll appreciate all you've done for her in this regard.

I'll leave you with three very important words for any child taking their first tentative steps towards that magical world of musical performance.

Encouragement, encouragement, encouragement!

Excellent and helpful post, 9959.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shaunamona

I'm looking for singing lessons for my daughter in arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kcimd

whats the best age for a child to start proper singing lessons, i read somewhere that its not til they hit their early teens, let their body and voice develop a bit. just join a choir or have fun singing until then and then get proper singing lessons in early teens. my brothers daughter is 8 and he was wondering about it for her

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iteodon

Piccolo Lasso Children's choir caters for boys and girls aged from 8 to 15 years. Opportunities to sing in the National Concert Hall, in opera productions, in tours abroad in addition to regular performances in Dublin. Visit Piccolo Lasso on Facebook.

• Advertisement
Advertisement