Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of sympathy over killing of Roma girl.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Thought the garda was talking about lack of public outrage rather than media coverage. I know the two are intertwined when it comes to comment, analysis etc, but not for the initial story being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Dudess wrote: »
    Thought the garda was talking about lack of public outrage rather than media coverage. I know the two are intertwined when it comes to comment, analysis etc, but not for the initial story being reported.

I find it very strange because the public outrage is unquantifiable. If he is talking about marches or the like, I can think of cases where there have been demonstrations in recent years (the black teenager who was killed for apparently racist motives comes to mind) but those types of demonstrations are usually organised by the family and people close to them. Who would Marioara, as a member of a disenfranchised and often sneered at minority group, have to organise a demonstration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No sympathy from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 NinjaNinja

That's terrible. I can't understand what is wrong with the Irish at this point.

No sympathy from me.

For her killer? Me either.

Because if you're not referring to the killer, then you're referring to a young, innocent, vulnerable girl who was brutally raped/assaulted, murdered and tossed in a shallow grave and that would make you a disgusting, depraved pig of a human being without the capability for empathy, right? You wouldn't be that low of a human being just because she was of the Roma community, would you?

• Advertisement

NinjaNinja wrote: »
    That's terrible. I can't understand what is wrong with the Irish at this point.
    The killing or the allegations by the garda?
    Can't see how these would be exclusive to the Irish, but maybe you'll expand...

I've been thinking about the garda's statement and I wonder is it just someone lashing out through grief? As far as I've read, gardaí who had been dealing with murders for years were greatly shocked and affected deeply by this case. Is it possible the garda in the OP is projecting his own feelings on the Irish public and hitting out in frustration?

Not saying it's definitely that but it's a possibility.

Millicent wrote: »
    I've been thinking about the garda's statement and I wonder is it just someone lashing out through grief? As far as I've read, gardaí who had been dealing with murders for years were greatly shocked and affected deeply by this case. Is it possible the garda in the OP is projecting his own feelings on the Irish public and hitting out in frustration?

It's absolutely what I suspected when I read it. The man is probably broken from that case. Even reading about the details is almost too much to bear, imagine actually dealing directly with it...

It's absolutely what I suspected when I read it. The man is probably broken from that case. Even reading about the details is almost too much to bear, imagine actually dealing directly with it...

And the impression I get is that there are things they're not revealing to the public, given how strong the reaction of the investigating gardaí has been. My heart goes out to those gardaí--it's struck me several times how much they really, really seem to care about the victim and seeing justice done. I can't imagine how hard a burden a case like this is to carry.

I'm guessing she was subjected to tortures that it probably wouldn't be in the public's interest to know about, and for the sake of her family... :(
    No sympathy from me.

Because if you're not referring to the killer, then you're referring to a young, innocent, vulnerable girl who was brutally raped/assaulted, murdered and tossed in a shallow grave and that would make you a disgusting, depraved pig of a human being without the capability for empathy, right? You wouldn't be that low of a human being just because she was of the Roma community, would you?
    Interesting to see whether they'll answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    Would you be nice enough to invite a family of poor homeless Roma into your home to look after it while you are away on holidays? Just to do someting kind for them.

No?

Then you sir are a racist and please stop being my conscience for me.

Ridiculous analogy. I could count on one hand people outside family I would entrust my house to. If you think your point is relevant to racism, or what is being discussed here I think you are very ignorant.

Ironically, I can imagine a type of die hard racist who would still have some sympathy for how this girl lost her life, yet we've had people who just want to emphasise they have no sympathy for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

I think you probably have something here.

I'm not surprised this case is getting less attention than if it were an Irish girl. I don't think that in itself is damning of our press or society. An Irish tiddlywinks champion gets as much press here as a heavyweight title fight, we're like that.

But to be incapable of sympathy for another human because they are of a particular race seems tragic. I don't think it's stretching it to say people who say this have something in common with the guys who killed this girl.

I think a better comparison for this case is the coverage given to the poor Swiss girl murdered in Galway a few years ago, a terribly sad story that got no more coverage than it deserved, but much broader coverage than this. Then again this story still has a bit to run and who knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm guessing she was subjected to tortures that it probably wouldn't be in the public's interest to know about, and for the sake of her family... :(
    No sympathy from me.

Interesting to see whether they'll answer.

I'd have no sympathy for either of them. Romas don't contribute to society in any way, shape or form so it's no great loss to the world and no sympathy for the killer for obvious reasons.

I'd have no sympathy for either of them. Romas don't contribute to society in any way, shape or form so it's no great loss to the world and no sympathy for the killer for obvious reasons.

Ah, so it turns out you are a pig. My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Ah, so it turns out you are a pig. My mistake.

how dare you brush pigs with that brush

• Registered Users Posts: 51,483 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You are just as bad as the killer of that helpless young girl.
    You should be ashamed to utter a disgusting statement like that.
    The pain and suffering that this young girl suffered was horrific and to have no empathy for her says a lot about you.

You should be ashamed to utter a disgusting statement like that.
    The pain and suffering that this young girl suffered was horrific and to have no empathy for her says a lot about you.

Sociopathy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No sympathy from me.

People like you make me sick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't care where that girl was from....or what she "was" etc etc

What she went through is horrendous.

The poor poor girl. Makes me sick thinking of it. And then her father seen on cctv walking the streets looking for her. And no english to report her missing.

It's a sad sad story and I feel shame it happened to her in Ireland.

amdublin wrote: »

The poor poor girl. Makes me sick thinking of it. And then her father seen on cctv walking the streets looking for her. And no english to report her missing.

I never heard that about the father. Oh God, that's awful. Or about the inability to report her missing. :( Can you remember where you heard/read that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

Hi
    There is no interest in the death of that misfortunate girl ,May she rest in peace, The lack of sympathy stems from the fact that the romas are gypsies that are despised in romania and every country that has ever had the misfortune to allow them in has found them to be utter thieves and scumbags with no redeeming features.

With the state of our country we are now pre occupied with paying mortgages and keeping our children fed etc and not the brutal murder of a roma gypsy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I never heard that about the father. Oh God, that's awful. Or about the inability to report her missing. :( Can you remember where you heard/read that?

Think it was Paul Williams on the Saturday night show. Gards checked CCTV to see if they could see her. No sign, but they saw the father numerous times :(

He went to a garda station but could not speak English. He showed her ID card but the gards thought he was enquiring had she been arrested for begging.
    After a few days someone from his community told him to go to the four courts to find a translator.

She managed to ring her brother at one stage from the house she was being held in. She looked out a window and could see the street name but because she could not read or write she couldn't describe where she was.

Hi
    There is no interest in the death of that misfortunate girl ,May she rest in peace, The lack of sympathy stems from the fact that the romas are gypsies that are despised in romania and every country that has ever had the misfortune to allow them in has found them to be utter thieves and scumbags with no redeeming features.

With the state of our country we are now pre occupied with paying mortgages and keeping our children fed etc and not the brutal murder of a roma gypsy.

Speak for yourself!!!!

You do not speak for me:
    amdublin wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 51,483 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hi

So you are not worried that there are evil people walking around who are prepared to torture, rape and murder a young girl in our capital city.
    You just mentioned the fact that she was a Roma so therefore a thief and a scumbag BUT not a word about the crazed killer who tortured and killed her.

You should also be ashamed of yourself. Whatever that girl was (and it doesn't matter) she was a human being created and loved by her family. She did not choose the life she was born into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Hi

That poor little girl was someone s child!!! I don't care what the Roma people have done or not done she didn't choose her life, she was begging, trying to survive like the rest of us and easy pickings for the man that killed her. Your attitude would not have been out of place in Nazi Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 _dutch_gold

Murder is murder, sick fúck should be brought to justice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Murder is murder, sick fúck should be brought to justice

It seems he will be. It really is the stuff of nightmares.

They're not just as bad, to be fair - they'd have to carry out similar crimes. But no sympathy for a teenage girl who was abducted, trapped, tortured, raped, beaten and murdered - just on the basis of the wider community into which she was born? Surely not. Actually think about that statement ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Don't feed the troll guys. Normal humans feel compassion and empathy. Socio/Psychopaths may not, but they know to fake it. Trolls on the other hand, have no emotions except a need to stir up some sh1t.

• Advertisement

Hi

There is no interest? Well that's bollocks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement