Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Congratulations on the new addition Angeldaisy, she is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I had the most amazing cuddle with Dude this evening, I used to take his neck embracing drooly hugs for granted but I now treasure each and every one I get. He sits on my chest, rests his face on my cheek and puts his paws into my hair and kneads to his hearts content. It's just lovely especially after a long day in work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Felix is going to the vet in an hour. Not looking forward to getting him in the carrier. He's had so many vet trips over the years that he's gotten very good at splaying his paws to try to avoid the carrier, the carrier is massive, then again so is he. Probably get another telling off for his weight today. :(

On a happier note Toby wrapped a front paw around my index finger and gave my hand a wash last night. That's a first, he's a bit of a mixed up cat and in the past he wouldn't have been sure whether to wash me or think about biting me, he'd usually settle for making a biting movement at me with no intention of biting me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We're on our walk this morning - decided Bailey was a bit fragile to go to the park so we'd our usual 3.5k lap instead where it'd be quiet and no other dogs to potentially hurt his face (it was bleeding and he was up pacing during the night so must be sore).... As we pass the school there's a woman on her way out (but far enough away for us to pass) with a boxer - it goes BALLISTIC.... I keep walking and we go around the corner, Lucy poos and as I'm picking it up the woman with the boxer comes around the corner, again he goes ballistic lunging towards the dogs...she takes a few steps away and stops so the dog is inches away from me suspended by the lead on it's back legs. W T F?! :mad: I had my earphones in so don't know if she apologized or said anything but I wasn't happy about a dog freaking out inches away from me let alone the two dogs while it's owner is barely able to pull it back(!) If that had of been me I would have kept walking across the road and crossed back over at a safe distance but no...let the dog freak out and then stand having a conversation with him! GAH!!!!

Anyways what a week!! Bailey is ok - baldy tummy and arms and a bit out of sorts which is to be expected. Lucy is delighted to have him back and keeps bringing toys to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just finished 'grooming' my girl bc who over the summer had carefully hidden and wouldn't let me near her backend - I know why she had dreadlocks Bob Marley would be proud of! I had to get the scissors out which I hate doing because she has such a glorious tail - anyway in the end she seems pleased to be free of tangles - any tips on special combs or techniques for keeping these clumps under control?

She actually loves been brushed except when it comes to the knots! I'm looking for something that makes it easier for both of us - She's a curly coated BC.

• Advertisement

For the last few months while it was warm at night I've been sleeping on top of the duvet with just a fleece blanket. It's fantastic because the blanket is ALL mine - I don't have a dog weighing 3/4 of it down or trapping/cooking me beneath layers of dog+dog blanket+duvet. But now it's getting colder my blanket isn't warm enough.... but i can't go back to the heavy duvet lol!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cream has been sleeping on my stomach for the last few nights which is strange as he's never been a lap cat, or indeed a stomach cat before. This evening he was dreaming in his sleep, I could feel his little paws and whiskers twitching, then out of no where he wakes up and bites my stomach really hard! Must have been being attacked in his dream. I was less than impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Pretzill wrote: »
    - any tips on special combs or techniques for keeping these clumps under control? She actually loves been brushed except when it comes to the knots! I'm looking for something that makes it easier for both of us - She's a curly coated BC.

Slicker brushes are great for knots, I have a long hair border collie cross and she often gets knots in her tail. Because she's part springer she only has an undercoat on her hips which gets a bit knotted, I use both a slicker and "greyhound comb" (wide tooth comb). If you hold the mat/knot tight at the base with one hand and briskly sweep the slicker over it, it'll break the knot up which should then easily pull apart with your fingers after a few brushes. If the coat is badly matted you'll need a matt breaker which is a brush with metal "teeth" designed to break through matts without having to cut the coat with a scissors in most cases. Most pet shops have a de-tangling spray you can use on to help, my collie hates these though she doesn't like the noise. Brush your dog throughly or only in the affected areas at least once a week to keep the knots in check. Hope this helps :)

So my two "fantastic" dogs managed to get to the clothes line outside and pulled some clothes off, including a new jeans I only bought last week. Moone had tore a big hole in the leg, I know it was her because I caught her running around with them proudly! She kept tripping up on them! I took them off her and gave out to her, she only looked at me with a big smilie face and wagged her tail! :( joys of having dogs!

SingItOut wrote: »
    Slicker brushes are great for knots, I have a long hair border collie cross and she often gets knots in her tail. Because she's part springer she only has an undercoat on her hips which gets a bit knotted, I use both a slicker and "greyhound comb" (wide tooth comb). If you hold the mat/knot tight at the base with one hand and briskly sweep the slicker over it, it'll break the knot up which should then easily pull apart with your fingers after a few brushes. If the coat is badly matted you'll need a matt breaker which is a brush with metal "teeth" designed to break through matts without having to cut the coat with a scissors in most cases. Most pet shops have a de-tangling spray you can use on to help, my collie hates these though she doesn't like the noise. Brush your dog throughly or only in the affected areas at least once a week to keep the knots in check. Hope this helps :)

Thanks a mill for the tips - my rural pet store has a very poor range of brushes - but now I know what they are called I'm sure I'll get them! I brush her constantly as she has such a thick coat but these knots were hidden under her tail I couldn't believe I had missed them - the little cleaver/stickleback balls had started the clumping - the proper brush technique should make all the difference for the future.

• Advertisement

Cream has been sleeping on my stomach for the last few nights which is strange as he's never been a lap cat, or indeed a stomach cat before. This evening he was dreaming in his sleep, I could feel his little paws and whiskers twitching, then out of no where he wakes up and bites my stomach really hard! Must have been being attacked in his dream. I was less than impressed.
    :) Maybe he's feeling chilly. Our 4 seem to be going to their Winter sleeping places these days. Jazzy loves to snuggle on my tummy or sprawl across my chest. I tell myself it's because he loves me but I suspect he really loves my squidgy warm flabby bits, he sees me as a hot waterbottle:D

Pretzill wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for the tips - my rural pet store has a very poor range of brushes - but now I know what they are called I'm sure I'll get them! I brush her constantly as she has such a thick coat but these knots were hidden under her tail I couldn't believe I had missed them - the little cleaver/stickleback balls had started the clumping - the proper brush technique should make all the difference for the future.

No problem :) those little sticklebacks are such a pain! You'd be better off removing them by Hand first they will only ruin the spines in the slicker. The slicker may look rough but it isn't at all, just go a little easier around the chest area.

SingItOut wrote: »
    No problem :) those little sticklebacks are such a pain! You'd be better off removing them by Hand first the only ruin the spines in the slicker. The slicker may look rough but it isn't at all, just go a little easier around the chest area.
    This year there has been a huge amount of sticklebacks and the ball often ends up among them. But I can get most removed whilst shes lying legs in the air on my knee - the rest of her coat rarely gets a tangle I think she has a more thicker layer behind her tail and is moulting in that direction too - her coat grew really thick this year and she hardly lost any over the warm summer! I'll just have to get more vigilant - my young boy bcx is just allowing me to brush him now with confidence. His coat is thin and long with not one tangle yet!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Interesting dynamics in the house this morning between Tara and Elly. Bit of a tussle over toys which has been fun to watch!!

To whoever Tara's secret santa was, the chew rope has been a huge success and is still in one piece!!!

Well in our house Lucy took all the toys!! If Bailey has anything and she goes near him he just drops it and walks away. In the park I distract her and throw the ball for Bailey when she's not looking so he gets a game! :p

Poor Bailey has razor burn - tried coconut oil and they both wanted to lick it off! :rolleyes:

tk123 wrote: »
    Poor Bailey has razor burn - tried coconut oil and they both wanted to lick it off! :rolleyes:

Do you have any bio oil? I've used that before and it's less smelly and tasty! Or even try thin layer of vaseline

Thanks! I do have some bio oil - I'll try it when I get home. We joked last night that my mum would have to make him a pair of shorts with a panel in the back like mickey mouse lol!!! :D If it gets bad I'll put his thunder shirt on and leave it loose. His arms are shaved as well - my vet would have at most 1cm square - he has inches of fur gone from both arms and one of his back paws has a shaved patch too.

I saw a photograph of that poor dog that was found in Clare, the one the Warden said was the worst case of cruelty he'd ever seen. Christ, whoever did that to the poor dog deserves to be horsewhipped then shot. They aren't just sick, they're evil and the world would be a better place without them in it. I hope they die screaming for what they did to that dog.

ROFL that couple on Pet Island - aaaawkward! :D

tk123 wrote: »
    Well in our house Lucy took all the toys!! If Bailey has anything and she goes near him he just drops it and walks away. In the park I distract her and throw the ball for Bailey when she's not looking so he gets a game! :p

My girl is like that with toys, ball etc but I have devised a cool way of letting her share - I throw the ball for her and now on command she drops it for our lil guy he picks it up and brings it the rest of the way!! BC's are so good with this although 9 times out of 10 the lil guy wants to keep the ball he's beginning to respond to the same command to drop it for her! It's like tag for sheep dogs.

I watched Pet Island too. It's uber eccentric in parts but at least it's not as upsetting as Dangerous Dogs which I had the misfortune to watch the other night.

• Advertisement

Omg I'd forgotten how much hard work a puppy is!!

So far this morning we've had tears - because she was crated whilst the back door was being fixed. Dug a hole just outside back door which I almost fell into.

The two of them have just come flying in from outside resulting in Elly doing a somersault as her legs went from under her!! Finally she has just tried to empty her water dish with her paws, covering me in water!
    I'm too old for this :-P

LOL! Lucy used to knock down Bailey's (raised) water bowl all the time!! She likes to lie down in the way - especially in front of closed doors. My mum txt me one day saying she was locked out of the kitchen because Lucy has gone asleep behind the door lol!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

it's Poppys 2nd birthday today! They grow up so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

A young cat has started hanging out in our garden in the evenings. She's lovely and friendly, insure she's owned as she has a fresh shaved patch from neutering.

The problem is she scares our rabbit and he won't go outside for a run around. Plus because my husband went out and gave her lots of cuddles she comes and stands at the door every evening meowing, it's adorable but heartbreaking!

Plus now I've started to worry about her getting killed on the roads! I'm such a worrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Well the cat just came round again and we gave in and went out to play! It's such a friendly, cuddly cat!

Also this time, our rabbit wasn't as scared, he actually came up to the back door and they sat nose to nose through the glass checking each other out. Reggie, our rabbit, actually wanted to come out but I daren't let him as we don't know what the cats like.

I think she must have an owner if she's so friendly.

angeldaisy wrote: »

So far this morning we've had tears - because she was crated whilst the back door was being fixed. Dug a hole just outside back door which I almost fell into.

The two of them have just come flying in from outside resulting in Elly doing a somersault as her legs went from under her!! Finally she has just tried to empty her water dish with her paws, covering me in water!

My OH wanted to take in another rescue pup and whilst I know his heart is firmly in the right place I said nope (softly tbh) but our lil guy is almost a year and still a pup and my girl is really now just settling with him & after losing our much loved older boy this year I'm just not ready and I reckon neither are they.

Sides which you are right it is hard work. I felt old too when we got our last pup - getting up at all hours puppy training - cleaning up after puppy training mistakes - and being run ragged with puppy playtime! Honestly I love dogs when they've become well rounded adults.

There's a feral cat hanging around our land - pretty sure she's pregnant but can't get close to her at all and she's only walking through after dark making it much harder to get to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

angeldaisy wrote: »

Oh I know, I'm fostering an 8/9 month old husky pup, she was petrified when I first picked her up, and was really, really calm and quiet, she's been here 3 weeks now, and has found her paws, she ate my modem, socks are easy prey, and I've given up counting how many times she has taken the dogs beds outside to play with. She is playing non stop with the other dogs, which is great to see, but can make it hard to hear the TV over their noise. :) ssshhhh, she's actually lying on the floor sleeping at the moment, only because I wouldn't let her on the sofa because she insisted on going out ino the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Poppy and Roisin just walked over to Poppys travel crate and poppy pulled open the door, then jumped up and pushed Roisin towards it as if she was putting her to bed :pac: funniest thing I've seen in ages!!

muddypaws wrote: »
    Oh I know, I'm fostering an 8/9 month old husky pup, she was petrified when I first picked her up, and was really, really calm and quiet, she's been here 3 weeks now, and has found her paws, she ate my modem, socks are easy prey, and I've given up counting how many times she has taken the dogs beds outside to play with. She is playing non stop with the other dogs, which is great to see, but can make it hard to hear the TV over their noise. :) ssshhhh, she's actually lying on the floor sleeping at the moment, only because I wouldn't let her on the sofa because she insisted on going out ino the rain.

Sounds like she's in heaven!!

We've a bout of noisy play going on at the minute. Tug of war over Tara's favourite rope toy! Tara growls when she plays which wrecks my head!! It's way to early!!

• Advertisement

I found one of my socks outside the cat flap this morning. I looked everywhere for that sock last night when I took the washing out of the machine. I'm guessing it was Poppy, that's a first. I put an old plastic lunchbox with their toys in the hall and every morning there's a few exta toys lying around that she/they have taken out during the early hours. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement