Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time Special - Child Care in Ireland (No Downloads - Please Read Post #1)

• 28-05-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Mod wrote:
    PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT LINKS TO THE FILE (OR TO A .TORRENT FILE)
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR LINKS.
    PLEASE DO NOT REQUEST THAT PEOPLE PM YOU A LINK.
    PLEASE DO NOT POST GOOGLE SEARCH TERMS TO FIND THE FILE.

RTE have restricted availability of this episode by agreement with the parents of the children featured in the show. By posting links or asking for links, you open this site up for legal ramifications with RTE's legal team.

Bans will be handed out to anyone who breaks this rule.

Thanks for your understanding.

RTÉ will broadcast its exposé into alleged poor quality of childcare in crèches this evening, Tuesday May 28th, 2013.

The station said its investigative unit’s report, ‘A Breach of Trust’ will be broadcast on RTE One at 9.35pm. A Prime Time studio audience discussion will follow the report at 10:35pm.
    The programme raises concerns about overall standards of childcare in Ireland, based on evidence gathered from HSE Inspection reports, internal HSE documentation and undercover filming in three crèches.

The programme demonstrates that standards of childcare in three crèches (the Links crèche in Abington, Giraffe crèche in Belarmine, Stepaside, and Little Harvard in Rathnew, Co. Wicklow) were in breach of HSE regulations and childcare guidelines. The programme finds various degrees of mistreatment of young children in specific rooms of the crèches, involving inadequate care and serious breaches of child care regulations.

The programme also features commentary from the following childcare experts: Professor Noirin Hayes Professor of Early Years Childhhod Care & Education, Prof Sheila Greene Developmental Psychologist TCD, Dr Caitriona O’Toole Developmental Psychologist NUI Maynooth, Irene Gunning (Early Childhood Ireland).

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2013/0528/453196-rte-investigations-unit-documentary-on-standards-in-childcare/

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-to-broadcast-childcare-investigation-tonight-29303189.html

Please note:

RTÉ have issued a statement to say that they will not be repeating this programme and it will not be available on the RTÉ Player.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sliver.Eye

More propaganda from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Sliver.Eye wrote: »
    Do you not think that it would be more prudent to actually watch the programme before rushing to judgement :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sliver.Eye wrote: »

More propaganda from MrsD007 :D

More propaganda from MrsD007 :D
    Reported Post - Personal Abuse ;):D

You wouldn't make that comment in the Clare forum, Jonathan :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

MrsD007 wrote: »
    RTÉ have issued a statement to say that they will not be repeating this programme and it will not be available on the RTÉ Player.

Thanks for that warning, MrsD.

There will be a lot of anxious parents and creche workers watching tonight. This is a subject which deserves more attention than it receives.

At the same time, I hope the report is balanced and fair. There will be huge scrutiny of this programme in light of the 'Mission to Prey?' debacle.

• Advertisement

Skid, I hope the documentary is fair and balanced too. If it is, it might do some good in the same way as the Lees Cross exposé did a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I will be watching this program with great interest.
    However I am slightly bothered that a paid staff member was in the crèche with the sole intention to gather information that would be damning to the crèche.
    The staff/child ratios are tight enough without having one staff member with a separate agenda in mind. Thus effectively left the crèche even further understaffed.
    Now while I do understand that positives will come out of this investigation I have my misgivings about how it was filmed.
    The safety of children is of course paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a storm in a teacup i bet ya

Lisha wrote: »
    I will be watching this program with great interest.
    However I am slightly bothered that a paid staff member was in the crèche with the sole intention to gather information that would be damning to the crèche.
    The staff/child ratios are tight enough without having one staff member with a separate agenda in mind. Thus effectively left the crèche even further understaffed.
    Now while I do understand that positives will come out of this investigation I have my misgivings about how it was filmed.
    The safety of children is of course paramount.
    I remember in the Lees Cross programme, the people who worked on the exposé were qualified and experienced care assistants who appeared to do a good job caring for service users while they were there. In some cases they were the only people seeing to the services users late at night because some of the other staff were asleep or doing other things.

I know someone who had a parent in Lees Cross at the time and they were extremely grateful to the care assistants who went undercover, without them and the programme, they may never have become aware of the abuse and neglect that was going on there. While I wouldn't like to think of someone working undercover in my workplace or in my child's school, sometimes the end justifies the means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm in two minds about watching this programme.
    On the one hand I want to see what the heck is going on but, on the other, I reckon it could make uncomfortable viewing particularly when my wife is going back to work from maternity leave with our first child next Tuesday!
    I also have friends whose child is in the Giraffe crèche in the programme so it'll be interesting to hear what they make of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

RTÉ will broadcast its exposé into alleged poor quality of childcare in crèches this evening, Tuesday May 28th, 2013.

The station said its investigative unit’s report, ‘A Breach of Trust’ will be broadcast on RTE One at 9.35pm. A Prime Time studio audience discussion will follow the report at 10:35pm.

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2013/0528/453196-rte-investigations-unit-documentary-on-standards-in-childcare/

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-to-broadcast-childcare-investigation-tonight-29303189.html

Please note:

Presume it'll be available on the +1 channel though tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,952 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Please note:

That's odd that RTE won't repeat it, can anyone shed some legal reasoning behind that?

I'm going to wait to see it before making my mind. I'm sure plenty of people will watch it after the publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

evilivor wrote: »
    Presume it'll be available on the +1 channel though tonight?

I wouldn't be certain of that - sometimes Movies and live events like Sport are not broadcast on +1 Channels for licensing reasons, so they may decide to block it on RTE One +1
    That's odd that RTE won't repeat it, can anyone shed some legal reasoning behind that?

Possibly something to do with this, maybe it is a compromise agreed with parents of children who attended the creches
    It is the express wish of the parents of the children involved that no screengrabs relating to crèche footage are reproduced in broadcast, print or online.

Lot of extra adverts tonight, RTE are taking advantage of the increase in viewer numbers.

My heart goes out the parents of children involved in this programme, it's going to be very distressing for them to have watch this. Hopefully, some good will come from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Sure I read in the journal it was because they didn't want journalists taking screenshots,etc.

But sure we can just record it and keep it for ever and show it to who we like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

As someone who works with children of this age with special needs, I'm finding this very difficult and disturbing to watch.

My blood is boiling here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

****s about to hit the fan for Giraffe

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭vforvictory

Strap the wee feckers in and a good clip around the ear!

This is so fcuking cruel :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Cheeses.

I agree Lapin

I really was hoping it was a storm in a tea cup as an earlier poster said but no it's an absolute disgrace .
    I hope the 'will I put it in the bin' was the one who got fired :(

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

"Have you worked in a creche before??"

Sounds like this isn't the only creche that that particular worker has exercised that sort of practice in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I feel sick watching this....the parents of those poor babies.
    That silly blond cow screaming at the baby

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Poor little mites.

Lapin wrote: »
    As someone who works with children of this age with special needs, I'm finding this very difficult and disturbing to watch.

My blood is boiling here.
    Imagine this lot working with non-verbal children, it's scary, obviously they wouldn't be able to communicate their issues with their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What I am confused about is why the creche workers talk to the kids as if the kids have a clue what they are saying "you are going to the babies room".

Thank @&€) mine never went to a crèche , them sleeping by day was never easy to achieve
    I am so angry at that one shouting at child to go to sleep
    Her tone is so agressive

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickey1979

Think the four gold mines are going to getting a visit from angry parentos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Parents paying through the nose for this.

Advertisement