Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name translation

• 08-05-2012 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭

Hi

Would anyone know what this name is - the Priest recording at the time seemed to prefer to put in Latin versions of the names - Im resaerching what i believe to be a direct relation - but I cannot make out the father (XPRI).

The online translation just translates it as
    XPRI?

204031.jpg

I'm thinking its Latin shorthand for some more common name.

The same symbols appear 2 more times on the Same Page - they are not related to me - but its the same symbols XPRI so it must be a common name (not Xavior etc)....

baptism record from 1810

Only info I can find is the P might be "Thorn"
    "from link and link - A thorn with the ascender crossed (Ꝥ) was a popular abbreviation for the word that."

Thanks.

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

The other two instances of these symbols...

204032.jpg

204033.jpg

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

A guess - Christopher

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

CeannRua wrote: »
    A guess - Christopher
    Methinks the priest was showing off his Greek as well as his Latin. My knowledge of Greek is approximately the same as my knowledge of Mongolian, except that I can recognise and name a few letters of the alphabet, thanks to a maths teacher who liked entertaining digressions. The X-like character is known as "Chi" (pronounced "ky"); it is often used as an abbreviation for "Christ" - think of Xmas.

So yes, I concur with CeannRua in thinking "Christopher".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Methinks the priest was showing off his Greek as well as his Latin. My knowledge of Greek is approximately the same as my knowledge of Mongolian, except that I can recognise and name a few letters of the alphabet, thanks to a maths teacher who liked entertaining digressions. The X-like character is known as "Chi" (pronounced "ky"); it is often used as an abbreviation for "Christ" - think of Xmas.

Christopher would indeed fit as there are a lot of that name in the tree - so it could well be the case. I'll go with that assumption for now. Thanks.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

I think that here XP should be read together as this means 'Chi Rho' used as symbol for Christ. Just looking at IrishGenealogy, when given in Latin, Christopher and its female forms seem to be often listed with various endings but beginning as Xt_ _ _ and Xp_ _ _. Probably difficult to find some of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement