Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jakesgirl

oh yeah, and make friends with the neighbors as soon as you move in--I cant emphasise enough how important this is!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭useded

My mate is looking for somebody to move into his house with internet and oil already sorted in College Green. I live in that estate too and whilst it has the bridge to "troop" over (I actually do not see the problem unless you're chronically overweight/lazy) it's in a great location in terms of students being alround and a shop nearby, two 24 hour petrol stations about 5/10 mins away for when you run out of jaffa cakes/rizla.

To be honest the only place I've heard to avoid is old greenfield. Meant to be so rough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tim_the_conman

I moved into a place in meadowbrook last sept, what a disaster! when the landlord finally arrived (at 7 in the evening on the day lectures started) we went in and found we had - no electricity, no heating, no back door key, only one front door key, a leak in the sitting room and a plank of wood for a window at the back.

we still had a great laugh about the whole thing though, i think how much u enjoy living somewhere depends on your outlook, i found all the problems gave us something to laugh about, since we didn't all know each other that well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

johnjo123 wrote: »
    try www.dwm.ie ... was there last year ... cheap and central location...

Where the hell is that place? Never heard of it before. Looks like a cult to me :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Where the hell is that place? Never heard of it before. Looks like a cult to me :eek:

It's just beside the traffic light crossroads near Dunnes. We got suggested the place by a guy in the pub over the summer and he was definitely "culty".

• Advertisement

Full Board = good.
    Morning prayer = bad.
    Location = good.
    Location of Jesus statues = bad.
    Hot religuous types = good.
    Hot religuous types not getting frisky = bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 markmm

i know someone who stayed in a place called Student Accommodation maynooth.... was 95 euro a week.. dwm .ie

CULT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Moyglare Abbey. Cheap and lovely and nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I can't wait to move off campus :D house hunting w00t! That's assuming I'll be here next year though.... which is looking likely, for all the wrong reasons.

The closer the better though. One of my friends lives in Kingsbry and I would never go to lectures if it were cold/raining! The houses down there are nice enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭wtrdfrd18

Hi guys,

Im wondering if anyone could help me. Im a 6th year student hoping to go to NUIM next september(media studies). Was hoping someone would be able to give me a realistic, worts-and-all view of the on campus accomodation???
    I'm the only one from my year going there so I don't have anyone to book with or anything.... and I don't have a CLUE about the different places on campus.

Ryehall vs Village vs River???
    HELP!

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

There's a thread here relating to accomodation in Maynooth

and there's a thread here relating to Newbie questions.

Also read the stickies at the top of the page.

Thanks for the suggestion..

but I'm looking for info/advice on On-Campus Accomodation!

cheers anyway though,interesting to read those!

wtrdfrd18 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Im wondering if anyone could help me. Im a 6th year student hoping to go to NUIM next september(media studies). Was hoping someone would be able to give me a realistic, worts-and-all view of the on campus accomodation???
    I'm the only one from my year going there so I don't have anyone to book with or anything.... and I don't have a CLUE about the different places on campus.

HELP!

I've lived on campus for my three years at college so far (never do this, ever) so I think I can probably answer most of your questions :D

River: I've spent two of my three years living here. These are the most expensive apartments, and the rent is a bit ridiculous to be fair (it's been €110 p/w both years). All the rooms in River are ensuite, and there's single and twin rooms. Personally, I don't really like these apartments, but that's because I hate living on campus. You get wired internet in your room (and if you live in Carrick, wireless (albeit dodgy) also :pac:).

Village: Lived here in first year, and I loved it! The apartments are single sex (unlike mixed River/Rye Hall) and the rooms aren't ensuite, but there's two bathrooms (one has a power shower <3). You do have to go to the office if you want to borrow a hoover, but it's not that bad :pac: These apartments are a bit cheaper than River (not sure of the exact price because it's gone up since I lived there). Everyone in Village tends to know each other, so there's a nice sense of community, which is nice when you're in first year and don't know anybody (like I was!).

Rye Hall: I've never actually been in a Rye Hall apartment (that I can remember anyway) but from the outside they look rank, so I'd maybe avoid them. They could be great, but I don't know anything about them really.

If you want to know anything else, just ask away. I don't know if what I wrote will be of any help really, but hopefully it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Rye Hall apartments are cold, there are 2 showers between about 7 people, and last year, the people I knew had mice. The carpets absorb anything you spill. Do not sleep on the carpets.

Did they keep the mice in a cage or did the mice keep them in cages? i.e. were they biker mice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

BIKER MICE FROM MARS!

Sweet, all the info I needed.

I've lived on campus for my three years at college so far (never do this, ever) so I think I can probably answer most of your questions :D

River: I've spent two of my three years living here. These are the most expensive apartments, and the rent is a bit ridiculous to be fair (it's been €110 p/w both years). All the rooms in River are ensuite, and there's single and twin rooms. Personally, I don't really like these apartments, but that's because I hate living on campus. You get wired internet in your room (and if you live in Carrick, wireless (albeit dodgy) also :pac:).

Village: Lived here in first year, and I loved it! The apartments are single sex (unlike mixed River/Rye Hall) and the rooms aren't ensuite, but there's two bathrooms (one has a power shower <3). You do have to go to the office if you want to borrow a hoover, but it's not that bad :pac: These apartments are a bit cheaper than River (not sure of the exact price because it's gone up since I lived there). Everyone in Village tends to know each other, so there's a nice sense of community, which is nice when you're in first year and don't know anybody (like I was!).

Rye Hall: I've never actually been in a Rye Hall apartment (that I can remember anyway) but from the outside they look rank, so I'd maybe avoid them. They could be great, but I don't know anything about them really.

If you want to know anything else, just ask away. I don't know if what I wrote will be of any help really, but hopefully it is :D

thanks a million! seriously, first straight answer i've gotten!

was also wondering.. when should i be applying for on-campus accomodation? and do I pay the deposit up front?
    AND
    if i dont get points for maynooth in august, and i have paid the deposit for on-campus accomodation.. do i get a refund?

sorry for all the questions.... but i havent a clue about anything!

REALLY appreciate the help btw. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

was also wondering.. when should i be applying for on-campus accomodation? and do I pay the deposit up front?
    AND
    if i dont get points for maynooth in august, and i have paid the deposit for on-campus accomodation.. do i get a refund?

http://residence.nuim.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

You may have to rethink that one :P I was in a mixed one last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

cian1500ww wrote: »
    And I'm living with three girls this year.

However, more than 90% of the appartments in village are same sex.

AND

You're welcome :) you can apply for on campus using this form. You'll find out if you got a place the day after you get your CAO offer, just ring the residence office and they'll tell you. You don't have to pay your deposit until you actually get a place on campus, so there's no need to worry about that until the end of August. All you have to do now is fill in the form and forget about it till then :D
    cian1500ww wrote: »
    Back in my day, Village was ran by St. Pat's (pretty sure they aren't any more) and they didn't like people of the opposite sex living together because god only knows what would happen :P didn't realise they'd changed to mixed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

Hi guys,

HELP!

lol thats what im hopeing to do! compliments on the post:P

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Hi guys,

HELP!

I'm living in Rye and they're really what you make of them. When I moved in, the apartment smelt so badly of sewage that I kept asking to move and was eventually moved to the apartment right across the hall!

The apartments are a bit of a kip to be honest. I'm on the ground floor and am actually below ground level- when I look out my window I just see a huge grassy hill up to the path- so it's generally very damp, with the window sill constantly submerged in a pool of water, the blinds are covered in mildew, sometimes the wall beside my bed is even wet. There is no central heating, only electric storage heaters that heat up the square metre of carpet around them, and not the rest of the room, meaning that the desk area near the window is freezing cold and damp.

This is now March and our cooker, fridge and freezer haven't worked properly since we moved in despite constant requests to have them looked at. We did get new furniture in the kitchen after we moved in though!

There is hot water in the mornings but that's about it. If you want water later in the day you either keep your fingers crossed or else turn on the water heater in the really scary closet in one of the bathrooms. It takes ages to heat up and when it eventually does, the water is so hot that you can't shower in it since there is only one temperature setting on our one. If you turn it down, only the water pressure changes and turns off!

The kitchen/ sitting room takes ages to heat up with the crappy little heaters.
    If you can, try and get one of the rooms at the end of the halls (eg in a 4 bed apartment, room A or D) because they are about 3 times the size of the other rooms! I have to say that I love my room! There's more than enough plug sockets too!

However.......... I really think that the crappiness of the apartment has helped me and my roomies to get really close! Myself, the girl and one of the two guys are actually hoping to get somewhere together next year! Myself and the girl are in first year and didn't know anyone when we moved in and that guy is in 2nd year so we hadn't known him either. (We're applying for River!)

My boyfriend lives in River and he has hot water all day, central heating, an en-suite (although his bedroom is only half the size of mine), a huge kitchen/ living area, a proper dining table, and the whole apartment is much brighter and has more natural light. The Rye Hall apartments are rather dingy and dark. River also have lifts whereas Rye Hall ones don't- although that's not a problem unless you're lazy/unfit or physically impaired.

If there's anything else I can help you with, just PM me. The RA's are generally really helpful and if you're missing anything they'll try and get it to you. :)

By the way, I'm doing media studies too and it's an amazing course!

K4t wrote: »
    There's a few spare rooms on campus at the moment I know of including one, possibly two in the near future, in mine. However, we did/do have rats but we have traps set up and rat poison in the press so don't worry.

What apartment were you in???

banquo wrote: »
    Moyglare Abbey! WE live there and we're doing up the shortcut from the end of our road into college so there's a proper bridge and stuff and people won't be killing themselves anymore in the mud.

It's a 3 minute walk to JH from our house and the area is really really nice.

Is the shortcut still there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

What apartment were you in???
    Hargadon in Village. Crazy times.:)

Me and a few friends are trying to get ahead of the rush so we've started looking for a house for the summer/next year. We're thinking of Moyglare Village/Abbey because it's close and the houses look really nice :)

We looked on daft.ie, and there was a good few houses listed so this morning I rang around a few. The thing is, whenever they get the vibe that we're students (I tried not mentioning it, but they always assumed) they said that they need people to move in straight away and that they didn't want students.

I remember seeing a few people on here mentioning that they live in Moyglare, so I was wondering if somebody could give me some tips? Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Me and a few friends are trying to get ahead of the rush so we've started looking for a house for the summer/next year. We're thinking of Moyglare Village/Abbey because it's close and the houses look really nice :)

We looked on daft.ie, and there was a good few houses listed so this morning I rang around a few. The thing is, whenever they get the vibe that we're students (I tried not mentioning it, but they always assumed) they said that they need people to move in straight away and that they didn't want students.

I remember seeing a few people on here mentioning that they live in Moyglare, so I was wondering if somebody could give me some tips? Thanks guys :)

got the same when i tried ringing last year, one asked me my course, when i said arts he said "sorry i dont want my house to become a drug farm"....nerve of some people

trying to get a headstart this year too

Advertisement